BG Radia Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91

Click on my homepage (under my name to the left) to read my thoughts on the BG Radia speakers! In a nutshell they are amazing and definitely reference quality.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Another shot of the trio!
LL

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #3 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 239
I have the in-walls for surrounds and line sources really pack a punch.

Mated all of them to Crown xls pro class d amps and they can handle tge 4ohm load really well.

Blazar!
post #4 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 349
We are a BG Radia dealer. Also the in-wall subs sound fantastic.
Joe going from Pinnacle to BG Radia is a big step up.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

We are a BG Radia dealer. Also the in-wall subs sound fantastic.
Joe going from Pinnacle to BG Radia is a big step up.

It sure was. Good to know you guys carry them too.

post #6 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I can't wait to try out their new subwoofers.

post #7 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Do those have the planar ribbon tweeter like some BG radia speakers? I heard a set of BG z62 speakers about a year ago and the tweeter was amazing....

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Nice speakers. I became addicted to planar ribbons after purchasing the Arx speakers with OEM BG planars in them.

Wish I could afford those BG in wall Line Arrays, and those in wall subwoofers.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Do those have the planar ribbon tweeter like some BG radia speakers? I heard a set of BG z62 speakers about a year ago and the tweeter was amazing....

Yes, they definitely do.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nice how much are those?
post #11 of 23 Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I can't wait to try out their new subwoofers.

If you would like to talk to one of my customers that have them in his fully treated dedicated room, let me know.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #12 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

If you would like to talk to one of my customers that have them in his fully treated dedicated room, let me know.

I may take you up on that. Thanks.

post #13 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Nice speakers. I became addicted to planar ribbons after purchasing the Arx speakers with OEM BG planars in them.

Wish I could afford those BG in wall Line Arrays, and those in wall subwoofers.

I still have not ventured into the in wall sub world yet.

post #14 of 23 Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Had a couple over last night and they loved the speakers. He really liked how well the center blended. Now they are planning to get BGs instead of goldenears.

post #15 of 23 Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 239
See my other threads for comments on bg radia in walls and in wall subs... A no compromise masterpiece is what my listening room is and bg radia have been a great part if it for movies. They arent even remotely as good as my mains.

See my other threads for further details.. I dont feel like retyping it all!

Blazar!
post #16 of 23 Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

See my other threads for comments on bg radia in walls and in wall subs... A no compromise masterpiece is what my listening room is and bg radia have been a great part if it for movies. They arent even remotely as good as my mains.

Awesome. On the way over there now.

post #17 of 23 Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I have to agree. Good thread...

post #18 of 23 Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Nice how much are those?

Just saw this. Depends on dealers I guess.

post #19 of 23 Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Liked: 13
I have an all Theta system (CBIII-HD, Intrepid), Synergistic Research active speaker cables and interconnects, and am using an Oppo95 for transport. I recently sold my Genesis 6.1 mains and center, replaced them with two LA-800's and a CC220 center, and two Bag End 18" infrasubs. My dealer in Irvine California area got me "hooked" on the BG line arrays- They are just rediculously fantastic. Now, the Genesis 6.1's were no slacker either, and the LA800's carry the finesse of the Genesis but with a massive wall of sound-stage. Movies are over the top. 2ch is like you are there in concert.

I built two custom 2.9 cu ft cabinets for the LA800's using a CDL (Constrained Damping Layer) approach to eliminate any cabinet resonances. I mounted them on-wall but they soon will be in-wall once the front partition wall is built. the inner portion of cabinet walls are 1/4" cement board, outer cabinet is 3/4" baltic birch, finished in gloss white. interior cabinet walls are braced between front baffle and rear wall every 14". interior walls are lined with 1/4" felt, and there is about 1.5 lbs of combined pink fiberglass and polyfill. The results are quite dramatic with a very accousitcally inert box and any internal resonances are Q'd up quite high and absorbed by the felt / plofyfill / pink fiberglass. Sounds **excellent**, but I think I'll have to pick up a pair of Theta Citadels to really drive them properly.

The CC220 is just temporary but I am amazed how great it sounds for movies. much more intelligible dialogue than the Genesis center. I think this center would be a good piece in just about any HT system. - I will be getting the upcoming CC500 which is the new center channel mate for the LA800's - should be out soon. Will also be getting the BGX four subwoofers. The Bag End subs are awesome- I had to get *something* for now that sounded almost as good as the subwoofers in the Genesis 6.1 main towers. Genesis knows how to do subs! Bag end's sound great and keep up nicely with the LA800's for music. But they are just huge- I had them painted gloss white with white grills so they look more like modern end tables. Wife is pleased (for now - lol).

I strongly recommend BG Radia for sound. Don't let the inwall thing fool you. These are some of the best speakers you will ever hear. and, the service and support from BG Radia is nothing short of amazing. I have never experienced such a high level of help and service from a manufacturer. Makes me feel even better about my purchases and invvesting in their equipment. Plus, my BG dealer (Sound Video and Automation in Irvine) has just been great as well with getting me set up an dialed in. Bill (owner) knows his stuff!

A/V Gear: Elite 70" display, Theta CBIIIHD processor, Theta Intrepid amplifier, Oppo 95 BD, BG Radia LA800 mains, BG Radia CC400 center, four BG Radia R18i surrounds, dual 18" Bag End Infrasubs, two Fuhrman P1800PF AVRs, Synergistic Silver Reference active cables & interconnects. 

post #20 of 23 Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lewis View Post

I have an all Theta system (CBIII-HD, Intrepid), Synergistic Research active speaker cables and interconnects, and am using an Oppo95 for transport. I recently sold my Genesis 6.1 mains and center, replaced them with two LA-800's and a CC220 center, and two Bag End 18" infrasubs. My dealer in Irvine California area got me "hooked" on the BG line arrays- They are just rediculously fantastic. Now, the Genesis 6.1's were no slacker either, and the LA800's carry the finesse of the Genesis but with a massive wall of sound-stage. Movies are over the top. 2ch is like you are there in concert.
I built two custom 2.9 cu ft cabinets for the LA800's using a CDL (Constrained Damping Layer) approach to eliminate any cabinet resonances. I mounted them on-wall but they soon will be in-wall once the front partition wall is built. the inner portion of cabinet walls are 1/4" cement board, outer cabinet is 3/4" baltic birch, finished in gloss white. interior cabinet walls are braced between front baffle and rear wall every 14". interior walls are lined with 1/4" felt, and there is about 1.5 lbs of combined pink fiberglass and polyfill. The results are quite dramatic with a very accousitcally inert box and any internal resonances are Q'd up quite high and absorbed by the felt / plofyfill / pink fiberglass. Sounds **excellent**, but I think I'll have to pick up a pair of Theta Citadels to really drive them properly.
The CC220 is just temporary but I am amazed how great it sounds for movies. much more intelligible dialogue than the Genesis center. I think this center would be a good piece in just about any HT system. - I will be getting the upcoming CC500 which is the new center channel mate for the LA800's - should be out soon. Will also be getting the BGX four subwoofers. The Bag End subs are awesome- I had to get *something* for now that sounded almost as good as the subwoofers in the Genesis 6.1 main towers. Genesis knows how to do subs! Bag end's sound great and keep up nicely with the LA800's for music. But they are just huge- I had them painted gloss white with white grills so they look more like modern end tables. Wife is pleased (for now - lol).
I strongly recommend BG Radia for sound. Don't let the inwall thing fool you. These are some of the best speakers you will ever hear. and, the service and support from BG Radia is nothing short of amazing. I have never experienced such a high level of help and service from a manufacturer. Makes me feel even better about my purchases and invvesting in their equipment. Plus, my BG dealer (Sound Video and Automation in Irvine) has just been great as well with getting me set up an dialed in. Bill (owner) knows his stuff!

I absolutely agree..............the LA800's are fantastic!
post #21 of 23 Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Liked: 13
I'm in the process of building a true dedicated media room for music and movies and have already installed 2 of the BG Radia BGX S-12B modules on either side of the seating area and have the BGX A-2 amplifier to power these. I have wired the theater for 11.2 channels with the option of adding 2 more subs in the front of the room. The size of the theater is 24' long by 12 ' wide. Not huge but a great size for what my needs are. I'm at the point of ordering more equipment so I just ordered the screen (SI Black Diamond Zero Edge G2 with the wrap around LED lighting kit) in a 110" 2:35:1 format. I'll be installing one of the new JVC Pro projectors as soon as they hit the streets later this month. I'm going to be purchasing all Parasound Halo amps (A-31, A-21 and A-23's) in their new brushed metal black face plates to power the speakers. My questions are concerning the BG Radia speakers that I think I'm leaning toward. I'm looking at the FS-420's for the left and right and the CC-220 center channel that matches that. Also leaning toward the IC-201's for the height channels and SS-202's for surrounds and SA-200's for rears. Haven't decided on the width channels yet. How does this system compare to a full Martin Logan system (Ethos or Theos for left and right fronts and the Motif for the center and Edge, Axis and Vanquish for rears, surrounds, height and width speakers. I'm a dealer for both so I can get a comparable ML system for a bit less in price. I'm leaning toward the new Marantz AV-8801 11.2 pre/pro that's coming out in December to run everything. Here are my questions;

1) Has anyone out there compared the two different speaker company selections?
2) Does anyone think that I will need more subwoofers for movies in that size room (roughly 650 square feet) and if so, can I go with some stand alone smaller subs to blend in with the BGX system?
3) For control, I'm leaning toward Pro Control or Roomie Remote along with the Lutron RadioRa2 system for lighting control via RS-232. Any thoughts on that?
4) Any suggestions for in ceiling width channels from BG?

Thanks for any help in advance!!
post #22 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 AM

Liked: 12
I'm also curious if anyone can comment on a BG Radia setup vs. a Martin Logan setup. I have auditioned the ML's and will be auditioning some BG Radia SA500's this coming weekend. I was quite impressed with the ML's (it was their smaller Theos model) even at reference levels. In comparison to the ML's I also auditioned the B&W 804's with the diamond tweeter that also sounded fantastic if just a little fuller in the midrange.

My bigger curiousity, however, is whether mounting speakers of this level of clarity and transparency (it seems that all three of the above setups could rightfully be described as such), not to mention cost, behind an "acoustically transparent" screen will negate the clarity that has been so carefully tweaked and tuned in these speakers. I have not had an opportunity to audition any of these speakers behind an "acoustically transparent" screen and in fact the only ones that I have heard myself were some B&W CT8.2's which sounded good, but not great. I don't know if the delta between the CT8.2's and the 804's was due to the diamond tweeter in the 804's or due to the presence of the "acoustically transparent" screen in front of the CT8.2's.

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #23 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoDiamante View Post

I'm also curious if anyone can comment on a BG Radia setup vs. a Martin Logan setup. I have auditioned the ML's and will be auditioning some BG Radia SA500's this coming weekend. I was quite impressed with the ML's (it was their smaller Theos model) even at reference levels. In comparison to the ML's I also auditioned the B&W 804's with the diamond tweeter that also sounded fantastic if just a little fuller in the midrange.
My bigger curiousity, however, is whether mounting speakers of this level of clarity and transparency (it seems that all three of the above setups could rightfully be described as such), not to mention cost, behind an "acoustically transparent" screen will negate the clarity that has been so carefully tweaked and tuned in these speakers. I have not had an opportunity to audition any of these speakers behind an "acoustically transparent" screen and in fact the only ones that I have heard myself were some B&W CT8.2's which sounded good, but not great. I don't know if the delta between the CT8.2's and the 804's was due to the diamond tweeter in the 804's or due to the presence of the "acoustically transparent" screen in front of the CT8.2's.

Which ML speakers did you listen to? As to mounting behind an AT screen, you have two choices, microperf or woven. Your choice of which type of AT screen is dictated by projector used, Image size and budget. The woven AT screen is a better choice sound wise, but those type of screens are low gain. The microperf screens are available with gains up to 2.0, allowing you to go much bigger in size, but at a slight cost to sound. Also the microperf screens require more distance between the speaker baffle and the back of the screen. Everything is a compromise and you have to look at the whole system to piece together a working solution that best fits your needs. If we can help you, please give us a call.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page