Need Help Deciding on Surrounds Polk OWM3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

First, I am a newbie trying to setup a 5.1 HT. I currently have a L/C/R setup and am now looking to properly upgrade to 5.1. I currently have Polk Monitor 50's for L/R fronts and CS10 for the center that I picked up from Newegg cheep. I now have about $400 to spend and would like to purchase the surrounds and a sub. I know that the Polk OWM3's are not top of the line, but I read that they will blend well with the monitor series and they are not as noticeable hung on the wall compared to the Monitor 30's or other bookshelf speakers.

I have a medium size family room with cathedral ceiling and an opening to the kitchen on the back left wall behind the listening area. I am thinking that I will mount the OWM3's on the side walls facing each other about 2' behind the listening area 8-9' up the wall. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar setup and how it sounds before I make the purchase on the OWM3's and if they think it will sound good facing each other or if I should have them tilted down towards the listening area. Oh, and I listen to 80%HT and 20%Music

On a side note: I would like to purchase the Polk dsw pro 440wi ($280ish) which is why I am looking at the OWM3's ($70ish) which would come under budget.

Any advice is appreciated.

Yamaha RX-V471 (AVR)
Polk Monitor 50 (fronts)
Polk CS1 (center)
Polk OWM3 (surrounds)
Polk DSW pro550wi (sub)

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 196
The OWM3's are adequate for surrounds in your setup. For $70, they're about as good as you'll get. Ideally, you want them to be at ear level or pointing towards your ears where you sit. 8-9' off the ground probably won't sound very good, but every situation is different, so it may sound OK for you.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The good thing about the OWM's is they can be angled down, which is what you want if you mount them high.

Skip that polk sub and pick up an Energy S10.3 while it's on sale. This is the best thing you can get under $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...energy%20s10.3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

The OWM3's are adequate for surrounds in your setup. For $70, they're about as good as you'll get. Ideally, you want them to be at ear level or pointing towards your ears where you sit. 8-9' off the ground probably won't sound very good, but every situation is different, so it may sound OK for you.

Yeah, unfortunately there is a window just to the left behind the listing position, so I have to mount the LSR above the window which would be about 8' off of the ground. Believe me if i had a dedicated HT room I would do it differently which is why I was wondering about how to position the speakers. I am also married and looking to keep my wife happy by making them as un-intrusive as possible. Some people say to have the speakers firing at each other above ear level so that it is not distinguishable and others say to direct them to the listening area.

Thanks for the advice Kidhorn!

Yamaha RX-V471 (AVR)
Polk Monitor 50 (fronts)
Polk CS1 (center)
Polk OWM3 (surrounds)
Polk DSW pro550wi (sub)

Mark
post #5 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Skip that polk sub and pick up an Energy S10.3 while it's on sale. This is the best thing you can get under $300.

Thanks for the suggestion Jay1. I am not partial to any one sub and I know there are much better subs out there than the Polk DSW pro 440wi. The only stipulation I have is that I have around $300 to spend on the sub and it cannot be too large. As I mentioned to KidHorn, I have to keep the wife happy, so I was looking for a small budget, quality sub. I know, that is asking a lot. LOL! I was also looking at the energy ESW-8 on Amazon for $299.

Yamaha RX-V471 (AVR)
Polk Monitor 50 (fronts)
Polk CS1 (center)
Polk OWM3 (surrounds)
Polk DSW pro550wi (sub)

Mark
post #6 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 11
Hey mark1280 -- Did you ever get those OMW3s hooked up? I am considering them, and will likely be hanging them high much in the manner you describe. I'de love to hear if you went through with it and if you are happy with how they sound. Thanks!

Noobio
post #7 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobio2 View Post

Hey mark1280 -- Did you ever get those OMW3s hooked up? I am considering them, and will likely be hanging them high much in the manner you describe. I'de love to hear if you went through with it and if you are happy with how they sound. Thanks!

Noobio

Yes I did end up purchasing the the Polk OWM3s. I almost debated on the OWM5s because of how high off the ground they would be, but glad that I chose not to. The OWM3's are a little larger than pictured, but since they are white and high off the ground you almost never notice them. As far as sound goes, yes they sound great! Especially for the price. I have them slightly tilted down towards the listening area and can hear them just fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions about these speakers. I would be glad to help.

Yamaha RX-V471 (AVR)
Polk Monitor 50 (fronts)
Polk CS1 (center)
Polk OWM3 (surrounds)
Polk DSW pro550wi (sub)

Mark
post #8 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks very much!
post #9 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Hi All,

In a similar situation here- trying to decide between the OWM3's and TL2's for surround speakers. I've had Polk R50's for L/R, a CS1 center, and a PSW10 sub for a few years, and need a new set of wall-mountable surrounds. It seems like the OWM3's have a few more mounting options than the TL2's which could be useful, and are also "timber matched" to other Polk lines according to their website. The TL2's seem to be a bit more compact however, and I get the impression overall may have better sound quality.

Any thoughts in deciding between those two options? Anything else I should be considering in that price range?

Thanks!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squa89 View Post

Hi All,

In a similar situation here- trying to decide between the OWM3's and TL2's for surround speakers. I've had Polk R50's for L/R, a CS1 center, and a PSW10 sub for a few years, and need a new set of wall-mountable surrounds. It seems like the OWM3's have a few more mounting options than the TL2's which could be useful, and are also "timber matched" to other Polk lines according to their website. The TL2's seem to be a bit more compact however, and I get the impression overall may have better sound quality.

Any thoughts in deciding between those two options? Anything else I should be considering in that price range?

Thanks!

I can only speak for the OWM3's because that is what I have had for over a year now. I have listened to the TL2's and they too sounded great, but they were at the local TV dealer, so I cannot say for sure how they compare. However, I have learned one thing with audio equipment. You usually get what you pay for. With that said, I am guessing the TL2's will sound better than the OWM3's since they are twice the price.

In my case I needed a wall mountable speaker that would tilt down because I have them higher then the recommended height. I was also on a budget, so The OWM'3's were a perfect match and sound great for the price. So if you are on a budget, but looking for a good speaker that has multiple mounting options then go for the OWM'3's, but if money or mount options are not an issue then upgrade to the TL2's IMO.

Yamaha RX-V471 (AVR)
Polk Monitor 50 (fronts)
Polk CS1 (center)
Polk OWM3 (surrounds)
Polk DSW pro550wi (sub)

Mark
post #11 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM

In my case I needed a wall mountable speaker that would tilt down because I have them higher then the recommended height

10.gif

post #12 of 12 Old 02-23-2014, 01:59 PM

I have the OWM3s and they sound great. Just bought a BIC PL-200 sub for $280.00. It replace a Polk PSW-110 that blew an amp after only 2 years. The BIC is rated at 250 rms and 1000 watts peak. It sounds great.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Owm3 On Wall Speaker Pair White , Energy S 10 3 800 Watt 10 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw 8hg 8 200 Watt Take Classic Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page