Mirage:Highs are missing,voice is bit muddled setup - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 05-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

but other surround options are really bit mild or is it just my perception i dont know

Except for five channel stereo, Dolby PLII and DTS-Neo, pretty much all simulated surround modes on a A/V receiver are designed to produce a larger and/or different sounding space - "bubble of sound" - inside one's living room. And this means generating different types of reverberation - or "echoes" - and most of that emanates through the rear channels. That reverberation is almost always very indistinct; it is played at a much lower level relative to the front channels; it lacks low bass........and it also usually means the highest frequencies are missing or they are intentionally softened.

BTW I think some simulated surround modes can sound good*, but the speakers (proper locations) and the receiver (distance settings, reverb rate but especially channel levels!) must be set-up properly. Otherwise, all you'll get is an artificial, funhouse-like effect that only serves to disrespect the music.

* many DSP surround sound simulation chips contain software that includes soundfield parameters (not sure if that's the correct term) measured at actual performance venues around the world. The first receiver I heard with such a system, and which sounded surprisingly realistic!, was the Pioneer VSX-D2, a $1,600 receiver sold back in 1994. IIRC Yamaha was one of the first to implement such a system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan View Post

Except for five channel stereo, Dolby PLII and DTS-Neo, pretty much all simulated surround modes on a A/V receiver are designed to produce a larger and/or different sounding space - "bubble of sound" - inside one's living room. And this means generating different types of reverberation - or "echoes" - and most of that emanates through the rear channels. That reverberation is almost always very indistinct; it is played at a much lower level relative to the front channels; it lacks low bass........and it also usually means the highest frequencies are missing or they are intentionally softened.

Exactly thats how my rear speakers sounds in a 5.1 channel settings where as in 2 channel mode the highs are crisp.Thanks for enlightening me about this facts Donutfan .but i never came across this concept any where else can you please point me to some source so that i can learn more about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan View Post

BTW I think some simulated surround modes can sound good*, but the speakers (proper locations) and the receiver (distance settings, reverb rate but especially channel levels!) must be set-up properly. Otherwise, all you'll get is an artificial, funhouse-like effect that only serves to disrespect the music.

Thanks will work on it.
do let me know which songs do u sue to audition the speakers,

Thanks once again
Ravi
post #33 of 37 Old 05-19-2012, 11:21 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankarcp View Post

Exactly thats how my rear speakers sounds in a 5.1 channel settings where as in 2 channel mode the highs are crisp.Thanks for enlightening me about this facts Donutfan .but i never came across this concept any where else can you please point me to some source so that i can learn more about it

It all came from my head.

Seriously: some of it comes from reading about it, but most of it came from experimenting with my own systems, other people's systems & even from store demo systems, and doing lots of listening.

Quote:

do let me know which songs do u sue to audition the speakers,

Music I like! From albums like Stereolab's Dots And Loops, DJ Shadow's Endtroducing....., Beck's Sea Change, Ancient Astronaut's Into Bass and Time, Thievery Corporation's Sounds From The Thievery Hi-Fi, Fugazi's 13 Songs, Beastie Boys' Hello Nasty.
post #34 of 37 Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks donutfan
post #35 of 37 Old 05-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Liked: 42
Take all that stuff back.. Go thru Vann's and get the OMD series.. Same price and its worlds better. I heard those speaker you have at best buy also and they sound small. Get the OMD series and don't look back. I've had them and they are really good. But I ended up going with Martin Logan electrostat esl's..
post #36 of 37 Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Take all that stuff back.. Go thru Vann's and get the OMD series.. Same price and its worlds better. I heard those speaker you have at best buy also and they sound small. Get the OMD series and don't look back. I've had them and they are really good. But I ended up going with Martin Logan electrostat esl's..

Lowtech are you talking about OMD-5? I am using OS3 sat, are OMD-5 better than OS3 Sat ?
post #37 of 37 Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankarcp View Post

Lowtech are you talking about OMD-5? I am using OS3 sat, are OMD-5 better than OS3 Sat ?

Yes...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page