Energy or Ascend - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Needs some bookshelf fronts for living room (100%). Back is open to the kitchen, so I will have in ceiling's for rears. I am going to be doing a dedicated theater soon in another room, so I am just looking for decent surround and good bang for buck.

I have been going through the threads and think I have it narrowed down to two choices:

1. Energy RC 10's and RCLCR ($550 free shipping)

Or

2. Ascend CMB 170's and CMT 340 center ($650 + 50 shipping)

Thought about 3 RCLCR's but my built in shelves are only18"high. Don't mind spending more but would need to be for significant improvement. Would like to order tonight or tomorrow. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ascend has a good trial policy.

Get a pair of each and compare. Send back the loser.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Yep, I'm afraid that's the only way to know which of them you prefer. Both are very good speakers and great values, particularly since the RC series is being cleared out right now. I personally prefer the Ascends, but that's just me.

By the way, I know you were looking at both brands for your dedicated theater, and if you haven't made a final decision on that yet, then this audition should help inform both decisions.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Any stores nearby that will let you hear those brands?
post #5 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I have to go at least 35 to 40 minutes away to get to any hi fi store. Maybe one is less then a hour from you. It saved me from wasting money on speakers that I thought I would like until hearing them. It is worth the drive to hear some of this cool stuff.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Although this might not carry much weight, one of these brands is owned, assembled, tested, and designed by an American whom has produced some very respected product for a long time now.

Some companies exist solely for profit, a few in this business do it out of passion, their goal being to provide the very best they can at their respective price points. This was actually a fairly major factor in my decision making process, and I feel well rewarded for that decision.

Am I biased? Of course, I think most that have owned Ascends are, as should be the case. That being said, auditioning both candidates is sound advice, and the only way to be sure which you prefer.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #7 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sexton View Post

Or

Thought about 3 RCLCR's but my built in shelves are only18"high. ...

Both the 170s and 340s are rear ported. They need room behind them for the port air to exhaust. Putting them on shelves may not be a good idea, unless there is space open behind the shelves.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

Both the 170s and 340s are rear ported. They need room behind them for the port air to exhaust. Putting them on shelves may not be a good idea, unless there is space open behind the shelves.

same with the rc10

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #9 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

same with the rc10

The Rc-10 come with port plugs if that helps

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #10 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ended up ordering the energy RC 10's and the RCLCR. With the sale and free shipping, they were over 20% less than the ascends.

Was planning RC 70's and vs surrounds for a dedicated room, so hopefully I will get a feel for energy sound... Thanks again!
post #11 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Like the man says, you should really get front-ported speakers for the type of setup you are considering.

I suggest that you get a pair of KEF iQ30 speakers, $399/pair at KEF Direct, and the iQ60c center speaker, an excellent 3-way center speaker with three 5.25' drivers and a tweeter for $299 (was $549).

IMO, these will sound much much better than the other speakers you were looking at, and the total would be only $698 with free shipping in the USA. Six months ago those speakers would have been around $1200; that is a great price on some very nice speakers, with full factory warranty.

Quote:

Needs some bookshelf fronts for living room (100%). Back is open to the kitchen, so I will have in ceiling's for rears. I am going to be doing a dedicated theater soon in another room, so I am just looking for decent surround and good bang for buck.

I have been going through the threads and think I have it narrowed down to two choices:

1. Energy RC 10's and RCLCR ($550 free shipping)

Or

Thought about 3 RCLCR's but my built in shelves are only18"high. Don't mind spending more but would need to be for significant improvement. Would like to order tonight or tomorrow. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

post #12 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ended up ordering the energy RC 10's and the RCLCR. With the sale and free shipping, they were over 20% less than the ascends.

Was planning RC 70's and vs surrounds for a dedicated room, so hopefully I will get a feel for energy sound... Thanks again!

Those speakers produce amazing sound. Once I got the Energy RC line, my music listening time went way up, and I enjoyed movies much more, too. The sound is very natural, warm, and crisp.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #13 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Just looked at the kef's and think I might have jumped the gun a little on the energy speakers (rear port)... I also like the look of the kef's. AnYone know how good vann's return policy is?... I hate being this indecisive...
post #14 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

its totally preference when it comes to speakers. Try hearing the rc's first to see if you like it.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #15 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Think I am going to order the kef's too, and return my least favorite. I appreciate all the help.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Think I am going to order the kef's too, and return my least favorite. I appreciate all the help.

If return policies allow it, that's the best way to choose a speaker. In-home listening lets YOU decide, in the place they will be once you decide. Not in some store or friend's house.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #17 of 17 Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the way! I'm sure you can easily sell the "loser" to someone here

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page