Do I repair my Snell E/111's or --- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of Snell E/111's in sad shape internally, due to severe illness I had and having to store them. I have not tried listening to them as yet. I did find a store in Tampa (Speaker Exchange) that will refurb them, but probably at least 400$. That is a guest-a-mit over the phone. IF they turn out to be as good performance wise, I'd do it. But I am Not an audiophile and not sure IF I should repair these awesome speakers, or buy new.I heard SNell is no longer making speakers, BUT they have a site up and so I'm not really sure. I believe the refurb would be with Snell parts by approved tech's. Your advise would be much appreciated.
Please remember, I am not in your league when it comes to tech talk!! lol. Also, would like your opinion of new speakers that would be comparable.
Thank You, I will look back for replies, going to the Speaker Exchange now to get a real estimate!

the impossible happens everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-19-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 384
^^^^
D&M shut Snell down, and Snell made some real good speakers. The
E111 cost around $1000 in 1991. Other than refoam of the surrounds
and checking the crossover capacitors, it would be interesting to find
out what that internal damage is. Unless you find some killer deal on
some used speakers, it will not be easy to match the E111 for $400.
It would also be interesting to find out, how much of that $400 is the
labor cost.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 14 Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
They are great speakers. I believe they are likely to be worth significantly more money the longer you have them. They are worth restoring but the pricing quoted seems more than a bit high.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers. I am hoping that the repair people HAVE original Snell parts, I want the same sound!! Those who have heard them know why.
I couldn't go to the shop after my orig post, they were closed. I will get there. Not sure about where the cost comes from. I saw "parts" on Ebay for just a small foam kit and it was $34., buying most parts could get pricey. I have to be assured I get the same Snell sound. Anyone done it??

post #5 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Went to the repair shop and it's going to cost $200. to re-cone, foam, etc the speakers. One of the cones was damaged, but wer'e replaceing both for correctness. I am relieved. Supposedly the speakers will meet the ORIGINAL specs or better and I'll have great sound again. NOW I have to buy new receiver, cd player, etc. Would like to use the snell's as main speakers and will eventually make a home theatre system. I'm going to try and do the cosmetic work they need, i.e., clean up, refurb the walnut wood and remove and replace the particle board bottom (attached to the real walnut wood speaker itself). Any further comments will be appreciated, answered. Thanks.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post

Went to the repair shop and it's going to cost $200. to re-cone, foam, etc the speakers. One of the cones was damaged, but wer'e replaceing both for correctness. I am relieved. Supposedly the speakers will meet the ORIGINAL specs or better and I'll have great sound again. NOW I have to buy new receiver, cd player, etc. Would like to use the snell's as main speakers and will eventually make a home theatre system. I'm going to try and do the cosmetic work they need, i.e., clean up, refurb the walnut wood and remove and replace the particle board bottom (attached to the real walnut wood speaker itself). Any further comments will be appreciated, answered. Thanks.

My understanding is that if you re-cone a speaker but do not use the same OEM parts materials then that speaker's output will no longer match the original speaker system which will result in it no longer working properly with the other speakers drivers.

Here is an explanation by a McIntosh engineer re an improper woofer repair of a McIntosh woofer: http://www.roger-russell.com/drivers.htm#repairerror. The same would apply to other speaker manufacturers.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't know, but they assured me they could meet or even exceed the orig snell specs even though their having to use non-OEM, cause snell is no longer in business. I decided to do the repair rather than go out and buy new costlier speakers. We'll see.

post #8 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't know, but they assured me they could meet or even exceed the orig snell specs even though their having to use non-OEM, cause snell is no longer in business. I decided to do the repair rather than go out and buy new costlier speakers. We'll see.

See my edited original post with the added link.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

That company has been in business a long time - and I would not be
surprised, if they turned out to be some real nice sounding speakers >
they have worked on Snell speakers before. Good Luck.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Spleen, I will call them tomorrow and ask. Zieglj01 is right about the repair shop having a good reputation. They are "re coning" and fixing the foam. I keep same drivers and tweeters. Like I've said, I'm no techie, but I had to do something with these E111's, other wise I can't use. ALSO, I hoped to use my E111's to be the left/right speakers for a surround sound system I hope to do next. BUT, I read you have to MATCH your center speaker and since SNell is gone, I don't know if I can. I saw some Center speakers for sale on Ebay, but I wouldn't know IF they would match either, since my speakers are over 20 yrs old and I don't know if they'd work. Otherwise I'd have to ask some tech people IF I could somehow find new surround speakers to complete the system Any thoughts appreciated - ? I appreciate the tips as I love audiophile equipment but I don't have the knowledge!! lol. Taste but no clue. ha.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Got my Snells up and running with a new panasonic BD player to play cd's until I get the rest of my theatre at home going. The snells sound AWESOME and hopefully, I can get a center to match, with the help of the Speaker Exchange. They said they could do it, might take some work, but I think it will work. So good to have a real stereo going, makes it easier to wait on the rest of the equipment as I can afford. Thanks for all the imput, it really helps.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM

look on e-bay I saw onr brand new, A littlte pricy, Just type in snell Good luck

Fosgate 4125 power amp. B&K AV 6000, Fosgate Model Three processor. Fronts- Klipsch Hersey1 and Klipsch KLF-C7 center, Sides onkyo? Rears warfedale' Sapphire 88. Numark 2600 eq. Pioneer PDP- 50 inch, PS3.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-22-2012, 07:05 AM

I just saw this but for future reference this place Hi-Rez Service in Ashland, MA 508-881-9959 purchased the remaining Snell inventory and has spare parts. They also have a former Snell employee to help with service. I recently moved and in the process one of my terminal cups was destroyed. I was able to get a new part at a reasonable price.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew jc View Post

I just saw this but for future reference this place Hi-Rez Service in Ashland, MA 508-881-9959 purchased the remaining Snell inventory and has spare parts. They also have a former Snell employee to help with service. I recently moved and in the process one of my terminal cups was destroyed. I was able to get a new part at a reasonable price.

WOW - Thanks for posting this. I live in the next town and have a "fuzzy" E that needs to be repaired!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page