In-wall/ceiling 5.1 home theater on ~$1500 budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I'm a home audio newbie who has just purchased a house. I'd like to put a home theater in an open concept great room, which measures 18'x18' with a kitchen/dining area behind that which adds another 12' of depth to the space (30' from front wall to back). The ceilings are around about 8.5' high.

I would like to mount the TV (LG 55" LCD) to the front wall with the three front speakers in the wall as well to keep them off the ground (we have small children). I'd also like 2-4 surround speakers in the ceiling. Wall won't work for surrounds as one side of the room is all windows, and floor won't work because of aforementioned kids (and wife ).

Use will be 80% TV/movies, 20% music. Budget is $1500-$2k and I'm starting essentially from scratch. (I have a BIC F12 sub but want to replace all other equipment.) I've been looking at Denon receivers as I like the quality and Airplay/networking features for $400-$500, but the speaker issue is confounding me.

Can you guys suggest some high-quality, mid-range 5.1/7.1 setups for in-wall/ceiling? I know in-wall/ceiling gets a bad rap quality-wise but are there any you guys find acceptable in my price range? I'm not against EBay and I'm willing to buy used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Check out harmanaudio.com for factory direct deals on Infinity and JBL in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. Also, check out the harmanaudio store on Ebay for even better deals.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Triad speakers frequently come up on Ebay at greatly reduced prices. For the money you will be hard pressed to find anything better.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #4 of 18 Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Triad speakers frequently come up on Ebay at greatly reduced prices. For the money you will be hard pressed to find anything better.

Thanks! In the event I can't wait for a complete set of Triads to pop up on Ebay, are there any suggestions about what to purchase new?
post #5 of 18 Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Given your budget for your entire solution, IMHO I would break down your expense allocation as follows:

Receiver $400
Blu-ray player $100 - $150
Powered sub woofer $200 - $300
Total Speakers $1,150 ($300 x 3 and $150 for 2 surrounds)
Front stage L-C-R $300ea - $350 ea
Surrounds (2 to 4) 2 @ $150 or 4 @ $300

Regarding in-wall/in-ceiling speaker brands in this price point, check out Speakercraft, Klipsch and Polk to name a few. I'm not sure you will be happy with them over the long-term given the size of your room, but you work with what you have. You can always upgrade later with bigger speakers.

Try researching the Speakercraft Aim series or Klipsch since many of them have movable tweeters or horns (Klipsch). Unfortunately, you will be hard pressed to find a speaker that is enclosed at this price point.

As a sample of picks (Speakercraft) - for the 3 mains Aim LCR 1 and 3 in-wall speaker (sold individually) and for the surround in-ceiling speakers look at Aim7 (sold in pairs)

I should also recommend that you also take a look at the definitive technology in-walls (RLS III), as you can get some pretty good deals on eBay and they are enclosed. Might stretch your budget even further though.

Hope this helps

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 460
In-wall, Boston
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...er-Each/1.html

In-ceiling, Snell
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...de-Each/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 18 Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input -- it really helped focus my search. I took BllDo's suggestion and mined ebay for values on Triad speakers. I managed to stick pretty close to my $2k budget and walked away with a solid set:

Front: 3 Triad InWall Silver/4 LCR
Surround: 2 Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni
Receiver: Denon AVR2312CI (new)

The system is not set up yet as I have a week before I move in. I have a couple further questions I could use your help with:

-- Do I need to replace my current sub (Bic F12)? If so, can someone recommend a solid sub for around $500?

-- Will the Denon 2312 be adequate or do I need to step up? I'm not trying to shatter windows. I just want clean sound.

-- How much would stepping up to 7.1 help? I don't mind paying for two more speakers if it is a significant gain.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 02:39 PM

waiting to see how these speakers sound.

im thinking of going with the Speakercraft Profile AIM LCR One for the front left rights. still deciding on which Profile in ceiling ones to choose for the surrounds. powering it with an Onkyo TX-NR818. Also Im planning on getting a BIC VK-12.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I would contact Denon to make sure that receiver will play nicely with 4ohm speakers. I do not believe the receiver is rated for 4ohm load. Aside from that the Triad speakers are sensitive so you should not need much power.

As for a subwoofer, I would look into the Epik Legend sub for around $500. The BIC is a decent sub, but you should expect a solid upgrade going to something like the Epik Legend.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-01-2012, 05:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider22 View Post

Front: 3 Triad InWall Silver/4 LCR
Surround: 2 Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni
Receiver: Denon AVR2312CI (new)

How did the speakers turn out? I'm so nervous to buy speakers from Ebay.

Your room seems pretty similar to my living room. I'm real interested in your opinion of how those Triads sound, including while standing in the kitchen.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I would look into Definitive Technology's RLS fully enclosed inwalls for the fronts and RSS for surrounds. You can find them for less than half price on ebay. check seller bajawaverunner - that is the Definitive Tech factory store on ebay so no need to be nervous about buying ftom them. Also seller gear4less has great deals on fully enclosed niles inwalls. I have purchased from both sellers in the past - no issues at all.

Speakercraft is good also but they are not fully enclosed unless you get the IW7s. I use the AIM7 MT as my DSX wide speakers and they are excellent for the money and were less than 150 dollars.

+1 for the Epik Legend recommendation also,
post #12 of 18 Old 09-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

I would look into Definitive Technology's RLS fully enclosed inwalls for the fronts and RSS for surrounds. You can find them for less than half price on ebay. check seller bajawaverunner - that is the Definitive Tech factory store on ebay so no need to be nervous about buying ftom them. Also seller gear4less has great deals on fully enclosed niles inwalls. I have purchased from both sellers in the past - no issues at all.
Speakercraft is good also but they are not fully enclosed unless you get the IW7s. I use the AIM7 MT as my DSX wide speakers and they are excellent for the money and were less than 150 dollars.

That's exactly the way I'm going with my speakers for a new HT Project coming up in the next few months. 3 DefTech's RLS III as RCL speakers and two Niles IW770FX as surrounds.

I already have the Epik Legend and the one thing I don't like about it is it's high operating temperature... too hot for what I believe is a Class D amplifier. Some have had problems with it, including myself. Other than that, I believe it's a wonderful Sub.

Krakhen

post #13 of 18 Old 09-01-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

+1, I also have the Deftech RLS II mains, and RSS surrounds. Very happy with them and I paid around $1100 for my three RLS II speakers (mine were brand new not refurbished, and I had a $100 off coupon). I bought my RSS surrounds from Bajawaverunner and they were in perfect condition and would buy from him again for sure. Huge savings. That said he offers no warranty unless the speaker is dead on arrival (in which case he pays for shipping both ways for the return and replacement). I picked up very reasonable warranties for all my speakers through Square Trade.

Triad is definitely a step above, but you will easily pay 3-4 times more for the speakers.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

+1, I also have the Deftech RLS II mains, and RSS surrounds. Very happy with them and I paid around $1100 for my three RLS II speakers (mine were brand new not refurbished, and I had a $100 off coupon). I bought my RSS surrounds from Bajawaverunner and they were in perfect condition and would buy from him again for sure. Huge savings. That said he offers no warranty unless the speaker is dead on arrival (in which case he pays for shipping both ways for the return and replacement). I picked up very reasonable warranties for all my speakers through Square Trade.
Triad is definitely a step above, but you will easily pay 3-4 times more for the speakers.

Any Pics of your setup?

Krakhen

post #15 of 18 Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakhen View Post

Any Pics of your setup?

Installed in the wall:
2011_0414AD.jpg

Close-up of the speaker:
2011_0414AC-1.jpg

Surrounds:
2011_0410AC.jpg

Behind the screen:
2011_0509AJ.jpg
post #16 of 18 Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Installed in the wall:
2011_0414AD.jpg
Close-up of the speaker:
2011_0414AC-1.jpg
Surrounds:
2011_0410AC.jpg
Behind the screen:
2011_0509AJ.jpg

Awesome! Thanks Ack!

Very nice setup.

Krakhen

post #17 of 18 Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakhen View Post

That's exactly the way I'm going with my speakers for a new HT Project coming up in the next few months. 3 DefTech's RLS III as RCL speakers and two Niles IW770FX as surrounds.
I already have the Epik Legend and the one thing I don't like about it is it's high operating temperature... too hot for what I believe is a Class D amplifier. Some have had problems with it, including myself. Other than that, I believe it's a wonderful Sub.

I have an extra set of the Niles IW770FX surrounds (new in an open box - opened it just to verify contents). PM me if you are interested.

I'll make you a deal for about 1/2 what gear4less sells them for on ebay. I would rather they go to a forum member vs some random buyer on craigslist.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Did you ever sell your Niles IW770FX's?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page