Best Receiver for RF-7 ii 7.2 Setup ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any ideas for what is the best Amp or Receiver for that setup , around $2000 -$5000 is fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
A receiver doesnt make sense in your price range.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/av7005.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7700.html

(you get $450 off buying them together from outlaw)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I would suggest looking into an Onkyo 809 as they can be had for a good price right now (809 is last years model ). The RFII's you are looking at are a pretty efficient speaker as they are rated 101dB so in essance they dont require that much power to run. For example: I have an Onkyo 808 and run Klipsch KG 5.5's that are modified so they are somewhat close to the specs of the RF7 II's as I have no problems at all. I have a 7.2 set up btw. I did have a 3 chanel Amp from Emotiva for a short time as I rain the main & center with it but I noticed NO differnce so I sold it.
post #4 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 208
The issue with RF7ii is their low impedance dip (below 3 ohms as I recall?) so they have a potential of sounding better with a separate amp. That said, you can still use an AVR with pre-outs as a pre-pro, and maybe run surround speakers off of the AVR, and the mains off of an external amp. 5K$ is a huge budget with lots of choices.

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT

Peter

post #5 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
The best-sounding receiver I know of at any price is the Cambridge Audio 650R. It runs about $1800, but outperforms most $3000 receivers; great value for the money, and an honest low-distortion 100 watts per channels with all 7 channels driven; the only one on the market that can say that.

It can drive any speaker you can buy.

I suggest that you read the Home Theater magazine review of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheater1010 View Post

Any ideas for what is the best Amp or Receiver for that setup , around $2000 -$5000 is fine

post #6 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The best-sounding receiver I know of at any price is the Cambridge Audio 650R.

Its web page only rates it at 8 ohms. Make sure whatever you get is happy down to 3 ohms. A separate amp is the better long term buy as it will outlive several AVRs. I've had one for 30 years and it still works fine.

My HT

Peter

post #7 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What frequency is 3 Ohms?

Regards,
Charlie

post #8 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Good question. Might be below typical cutoff to a subwoofer?

My HT

Peter

post #9 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Great advice thx ...... One says get external amp one says not too, so hard to still understand what to do .... I will check the websites right know thx all
post #10 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The only way receiver makes sense is if you don't have the room for an extra amp. Some people do give bad advice around here...

post #11 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Still not happy with your two Onkyo AVRs, eh? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411258

Separates can be one way to go, check out Emotiva for their processor and amp combos...

post #12 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Very Happy with one and the other one is a little off ! Maybe you should read the whole thing first ! Thx
post #13 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very Happy with one and the other one is a little off ! Maybe you should read the whole thing first ! Thx

Maybe I read every new post in that thread since my last comment. I still think you're a little off in your setup. Asking this over and over isn't going to really get you anywhere. You're dealing with a subjective question with no real answer except in your room with your ears in any case. Maybe you should return the 5009. There's a lot of stuff you can throw your money at...start throwing.

post #14 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Klipsch always sounded awesome off B&K receivers but thats out.
They do sound damn nice off Reference RXZ models from Yamaha.
You can look into NAD which I have not heard but have with many other speakers and thought it was a fantastic sounding B&K like receiver in the 785
Rotel is another great choice which has solid power features lack but quality is high.
Denon if you go flagship makes good sounding receivers but lacks a bit of dynamic range. With Klipsch you will have a good mix here as they work together well.
I love Pioneer Elite SC models with Refernce Klipsch speakers. I did a job not that long ago and it was done right scary.
Integra is always in the mix but if your looking for the best sound quality for your money they might not be the ones. Personal preference comes way into play here.

Overall Klipsch speakers sound great off of most brands out there , they are extremely easy to drive and don't load up on the internal amps. I'm thinking you go Pioneer Elite SC model and call it a day. The New SC-68 is coming out soon and looks fantastic. Worth checking out.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
post #16 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Great advice thx ...... One says get external amp one says not too, so hard to still understand what to do .... I will check the websites right know thx all

As you can see from the post everyone has their own opinion/suggestions... and as they should as well. They, along with myself are just suggesting what they have or have had.

Best advise would be to do a little research on the AVR"s ( and amps if you wish ) then decide whats best for you and you situation. I am only familiar with Onkyo as they have been great AVR's for me as someone with Dennon, Yamaha, HK, Pioneer & etc. would reccomend what they have. THe Onkyo 809 ( just like my 808 ) has pre-outs as you can hook up an external amp such as I did for awhile.

As far as external amps go I believe its a "toss up", some swear by them as some such as myself noticed no differnace at all. I'm sure each situation is differnt so you have to take that into fact thou.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

As far as external amps go I believe its a "toss up", some swear by them as some such as myself noticed no differnace at all. I'm sure each situation is differnt so you have to take that into fact thou.

They make little differences on speakers with easy impedance curves that don't present a difficult load. Presumably your KG speakers fall into this category, as do my Klipschorns. Using an external amp makes no difference in sound for me either. But the RF7 are reputed to be a difficult load and I gather the RF7ii are the same.

My HT

Peter

post #18 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

I would suggest looking into an Onkyo 809 as they can be had for a good price right now (809 is last years model ). The RFII's you are looking at are a pretty efficient speaker as they are rated 101dB so in essance they dont require that much power to run....

psgdn is correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Make sure whatever you get is happy down to 3 ohms...

I can't find the chart but rememeber the original RF-7s having a couple of impedance dips around 2.8 Ohms above 100 Hz and maybe as high as 1,000 Hz.
post #19 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

The only way receiver makes sense is if you don't have the room for an extra amp...

Or if you can pick up a Denon THX ultra II AVR at a good price you won't need an external amp in a small to medium Home Theater.
post #20 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Or if you can pick up a Denon THX ultra II AVR at a good price you won't need an external amp in a small to medium Home Theater.

If your budget is under $1k sure a receiver makes sense. Power amps are cheap, and receivers with preouts can be had for under $500, or processors like the UMC1 for $500.

post #21 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If your budget is under $1k sure a receiver makes sense. Power amps are cheap, and receivers with preouts can be had for under $500, or processors like the UMC1 for $500.

Quote:

Quote:

psgdn is correct:

I can't find the chart but rememeber the original RF-7s having a couple of impedance dips around 2.8 Ohms above 100 Hz and maybe as high as 1,000 Hz.

He's already got an Onkyo 5009 and an Onkyo 875 and power isn't really an issue...he doesn't like how "tinny" it sounds with the newer AVR so he's wondering about a different AVR or adding external amps to make it less tinny...read the other thread.

post #22 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't argue against what you say here but would rather have an upper-end Denon that could handle the dips of the RF-7s and has a better processor along with an excellent EQ program. For example, I drive my RF-7 based HT with a Denon AVR-4806 and even after 5 years wouldn't trade for what you mention above...
post #23 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

What other thread? If it's the Klipsch Owners thread I'm unfortunately not allowed to post there anymore.
post #24 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes but he asked what's the best $2-5k receiver. My opinion still stands that it doesn't make sense to spend that much on a receiver, all the way down to $1k where separates can be attained, unless space is an issue. These receivers are still rated for 2 channels at a time, let's see a full range 7 channels at less then 0.1 thd rating before we say a receiver is as good as a separate amp.

OP likely just didnt set his system up right, and I know the 5009 could hand his speakers fine, but that isn't the basis of my discussion.

post #25 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. ... let's see a full range 7 channels at less then 0.1 thd rating before we say a receiver is as good as a separate amp.

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...05-part-5.html
post #26 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Liked: 11
I would look at the different room correction you can get, Like ARC from Anthem, Audyssey MultEQ XT32 from Denon and Onkyo, and Trinnov that is in something like the Sherwood R972.

Although I am not sure it's needed, in that price range you may want to look at Preamp/Amp combo instead of receiver.

Also this would be more worthwhile on the Receiver forum.
post #27 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...05-part-5.html

Solid performance, but under its rated spec, and no 4 ohm test.

post #28 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What other thread?

It was linked to earlier but without full context so easy to miss:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411258
Quote:

If it's the Klipsch Owners thread I'm unfortunately not allowed to post there anymore.

What'd you do?

My HT

Peter

post #29 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Solid performance, but under its rated spec, and no 4 ohm test.

Agreed on the first part, but a 200 wpc amp will only give maybe 3 dB of max SPL. Insofar as the second is concerned, the Denon AVR 4806 is THX Ultra II certified which means it's power supplies are stable at least down to 3.2 ohms (edit: w/7 channels driven).

Fwiw, I am not arguing against what you are trying to convey, but instead give a 2nd opinion to your original statement in which I quoted. The OP gave a price range between $2,000 to $5,000 and didn't mention any other constraints. Of course having a processor and amp would be awesome but at what price both physically and financially? If he wanted to spend the full 5 grand I would definitely go separates but if space is at a premium or that he could have a few grand to spend on something else is also something to consider.
post #30 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

It was linked to earlier but without full context so easy to miss:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411258

What'd you do?

Thanks.

I believe several folks got tired of me telling people they didn't necessarily need an Emotiva to drive their RF-7s efficiently, but in the end a guy who I helped earlier became a troll and got me expelled.

I miss you guys but Amy still lets me post over at the Klipsch Forum.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page