building a TV stand with speaker stands with emphasis on best possible sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the final stages of planning to build a TV stand that will allow the B&W DM602 S3 speakers to be placed at the ideal height underneath the television - 3 on the same plane.

I have 3 pairs of these 19" bookshelf speakers.

Doing it this way will require me to make the thing as long as possible, to spread out the soundstage as much as possible.

This may not be practical.

It also may be so long as to make getting to the wiring for everything a complete nightmare.

But maybe not.

I'm worried that doing it this way will limit how far apart I can make the speakers.

I want the speakers to sound as fantastic as possible, and I like when I can close my eyes and point to where the vocalist is or the bass player etc.

If I can't get the speakers spread out I may lose this.

So I have an idea for an alternative one in which only the center channel is stored underneath the television - with separate speaker stands for left and right...which will give me some flexibility in being able to move them around to try to find the "sweet spot".

Another thing to consider is the size of the room - and how much of the room is useable - and whether to place the stereo / TV along the shorter wall or along the wider wall - the room is not a perfect square - it's usable portion is approxamately 14' X 8' (The room is actually 14' X 12' but there are 2 doorways on the same side of the room - one doorway on one side and another directly across from it on the other side of the room making 4' of it unusable. (Can't put a speaker or a couch there)

I drew up 2 "approximations" of the ideas I have and I'm hoping to get good advice and tips from people who have been through this before. The following are the rough drawings of the ideas that I have kicking around inside my head. Please give your opinion on how you think I should go about this.

And feel free to ask any questions if I left out any vital information which you feel is necessary for determining the best way to go with this.

Most importantly, please give me a list of definitely dos and definitely don'ts!

Thanks in advance.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I think if you incorporate a "sliding drawer" approach to the first idea it would be fine. Basically have the base of the shelf that the speakers are sitting on placed on rails that extend out the full depth of the speakers, so all three are outside of the cabinets when needed. Think like your pulling a drawer out, but without the front/side panels of the drawer.

The second idea is pretty normal, you could do the same for the center so it isn't enclosed in the cabinet.

The theme here is these speakers weren't designed to be in a cabinet, so whatever you do, have the option to get them out of the cabinet.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 PM

Liked: 23
Drawing (2) and it's ok for the stands to be a bit taller, though no more than raising the LR speakers 1' above the center. 6-8" of added height should be fine. You want your tweeters closer to ear level as possible.

cheers,

AJ
post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
I want the speakers to sound as fantastic as possible,

Then forget about putting them in a cabinet because doing so is going to give you excess lower mid-range and bass (plus potentially more serious problems from unfilled space around the speakers).

If you want speakers in a cabinet like that make the cabinet face completely flat (with doors hiding the equipment) running wall-to-wall and install quality (they have enclosures made out of MDF or Baltic birch) "in-wall" speakers designed specifically for the placement.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Along with proper speaker placement, a good soundstage comes with proper room treatments. If you get reverberations/echos along with other things that muddy up the sound, your soundstage will fall apart.

YID DIY
post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

All great tips. Thank you. Please keep them coming. I'm building this soon and don't want to regret not doing it another way after I start and am committed.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #8 of 10 Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Actual room I'm working with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG2BNpYklQE
post #9 of 10 Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm FINALLY getting around to building this thing. The TV stand will have a compartment directly under TV for one B&W 602 S3 to be used as a center channel speaker in a home theater application. I just have one very important question:

HOW CRITICAL is it that there is significant space between TV and speaker so that neither "interferes" with each other in any way?

Do I need to build that compartment bigger to have space put between them or is it OK to build the speaker compartment with just enough space to house the speaker and little distance between the top of the speaker and the top of the TV stand?

If I build it with a "gap" it may look funnier than if I built it just big enough to house the speaker.

But if I don't is there a chance it will have an effect on sound quality or the picture?

I mean this in an "electronic interference" kind of way between the TV and speaker - not in a speaker configuration way...
post #10 of 10 Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool View Post

HOW CRITICAL is it that there is significant space between TV and speaker so that neither "interferes" with each other in any way?..

As long as your TV is not a CRT ("tube") TV, there is nothing to worry about.

David
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page