Best Speakers in the world - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't afford the cables. These speakers and prices are obscene. But then again, if money was no object, who knows. My BA's I'm looking at right now makes me feel inadequate but to me the sound good in my family room. Some of these speakers do look pretty cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Nice speakers! Dunlavy really knew his stuff, and it's too bad his business wasn't more successful. If he were alive today I wonder what other manufacturers he'd stand behind (Vandersteen perhaps)?

Yeah, he was a no nonsense guy. His design philosophy and, of course, the resultant sound hooked me completely. Like Bill, he would have been a great addition to AVS.
post #33 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Let's face it, if you had that much money to spend on a system, would you drop it on a web site named www.milliondollarstereos.com ?

post #34 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

The moon audio titan weighs 2800 lbs each. Each one weighs as much as a car. If I bought them , the only place I could put them is in the garage.

They'd weigh less if you lived on the Moon. Perhaps that's where you're supposed to live if you buy them?
post #35 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM

The Westlake Audio speakers were voted best speaker in the world in japan.

LOL
post #36 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Does a 1/2 million dollars speaker really sound detectably better than a 100,000 dollar one? Man, for that type of money and would want great sound AND some gold plating...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #37 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Does a 1/2 million dollars speaker really sound detectably better than a 100,000 dollar one? Man, for that type of money and would want great sound AND some gold plating...

You would always hope that the more expensive system would be superior in some way, but my experience is that it's a mixed bag and I've been disappointed more often than not.

If I were spending absurd amounts of money on speakers I would want some crazy whole room solution like Ocean Way's HR1 or something.

Ultimately what I would really do if I had tons of money to spend on audio is have a world class room designed and built by professionals. Then I would start with great basic electronics and try to get every speaker I could audition in there until I find that special one.
post #38 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

You would always hope that the more expensive system would be superior in some way, but my experience is that it's a mixed bag and I've been disappointed more often than not.

If I were spending absurd amounts of money on speakers I would want some crazy whole room solution like Ocean Way's HR1 or something.

Ultimately what I would really do if I had tons of money to spend on audio is have a world class room designed and built by professionals. Then I would start with great basic electronics and try to get every speaker I could audition in there until I find that special one.

Exactly!
post #39 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think the best speakers in the world are the ones you own.
post #40 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I know, these little Bose cubes are the best! And soooo cute!
post #41 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey if thats what someone has and their happy then thats fine.
post #42 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Some good posts for sure...

Quote:

I've referenced OW rigs in AVS before, however I'd not seen anyone else do so,.. so that's very, very cool. I've heard a lot of high end home audio, many studio monitoring systems, and a lot of full size "A" rigs for live productions, but unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of hearing an OceanWay custom rig. Nothing like low distortion, high level playback,....and with properly optimized (8)15's per channel, there's little that can compete at that level.

---

If the budget was $100k, I'd go at least half, to two thirds on acoustics, as it's all about optimizing what you've got. Yeah, the mains would need to have the bases covered dynamically, and wrt imaging and transparency. Hell, the vast majority would be flat blown away by a great pro two-way that's well optimized itself, and to it's surroundings. Meyer's top tier offerings, ProAudioTechnology has got it figured out too. Geddes offers a well sorted out two way. And the list wouldn't be complete without the one of the finest values in all of audio, Seaton's Catalyst.

My take,...really good mains and focus on the room.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #43 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 05:15 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

Nope, however they are on the way!

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #44 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

post #45 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm just being facetious.
post #46 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Dunlavy really knew his stuff, and it's too bad his business wasn't more successful. If he were alive today I wonder what other manufacturers he'd stand behind (Vandersteen perhaps)?

Heck no. You obviously don't know much about either man if you dared make such an inference. Good grief.
Naturally Baghdad Bob would idolize the latter. That alone should have raised the alarm bells for you.
Here, I'll do the work for you: http://www.vandersteen.com/vandersteenfaqs.htm (scroll down to wiring nonsense, although there is plenty rubbish before)
http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html

cheers,

AJ
post #47 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 05:58 PM

There is a show on HGTV, "Beautiful Homes," that features outrageously high priced homes (some $75,000,000!) that i really enjoy. Now, no one needs a house with 24 caret gold door nobs and million dollar counter tops etc, but I am really glad someone built them because they (well, most anyway) are beautiful and it gives me great pleasure looking at them and trying to imagine the thinking of the mind that conceived the totally excessive fantasy and brought it into physical reality. What a boring world it would be without raw impractical unnecessary excesses of creative expression... Would I want to own a 40,000 sq ft $75,000,000 house? No! But I'm glad they exist. Thanks to the OP for adding this stuff to my universe of "Excessive Stuff as Art."
post #48 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

I own a set of Pyle pro speakers...so that is definitely not true! Btw, I didn't buy them and as bad as the speakers are, the rec is worse. Could they make a cooling fan that was any louder!?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #49 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM

post #50 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I myself would love to hear a 15K subwoofer.
post #51 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I always wanted to hear Krell's Master Reference Subwoofer, but when Seaton came around with the Submersive HP my interest in the MRS was reduced to *shrug*. I mean, I like the mega-overkill build of the thing, but would strongly question whether it has any meaningful advantage in a head-to-head with the Submersive. Of course, if we're talking like price, one MRS vs something like 20 Submersives would probably end in a slightly skewed result.

Speaking of cool mechanical design, I really appreciate some of the Magico speakers. I'd just like to have a skeleton version of the Q7. It's like a skinless Terminator speaker. Those with some Rowland gear like the older Model 9s are my kind of audio jewelry.
post #52 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

If someone gave me $100k and said to spend it on the best system I could buy, I would either get the Vandersteen Model 7 ($48k), or the Wison Audio MAXX ($68k).

My Vandersteen Model 3A speakers are hard to beat, for $4300.

Wow you hit what I was thinking on the nose. I love both of thoes, I bought the Vandersteen 7's the new Balsa Carbon technology in his drivers he came out with is genious and it will be years till anyone makes anything near it. So smooth and laied back but so clear and fast. Much cleaner sound than the wilsons now. The 3a for the price can't be beat.

Any of these set up you need the right equipnment to get the most out of them. Funny how people say 3k is the max beyond that there is no difference. I can't listen to anything under 3k just doesn't sound right to me. There are some nice speakers under 3k but you get what you pay for. SAOme soudn righ the bigest issue is the crossover points thought the sound just gets muffled. I aggree though there is a bling factor on higher end speakers, vandersteen has done a great job of avoiding that and keeping the price down so you don't pay for bling. But than again if you are spending six figures on a speaker you should get some Bling I would be upset if I didn't see the workmenship.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #53 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

Heck no. You obviously don't know much about either man if you dared make such an inference. Good grief.
Naturally Baghdad Bob would idolize the latter. That alone should have raised the alarm bells for you.
Here, I'll do the work for you: http://www.vandersteen.com/vandersteenfaqs.htm (scroll down to wiring nonsense, although there is plenty rubbish before)

cheers,

AJ

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Easy there, AJ.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #54 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

cheers,

AJ

I would like to know what "wireing nonsense" you are reffering to, the biwiring? Every piece of advice I have received from Mr. Vandersteen I have tested and applied he has been right 100% of the time. He even helped me get past a ARC issue that he hit on the head making me adapte auddsey ARC software to get rid of a slight seperation issue. My head still spins from the resoning and sicience behind it, but boy did it work and voices are so clear in HT. He just knows his stuff.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #55 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmergeek View Post

I would like to know what "wireing nonsense" you are reffering to, the biwiring? Every piece of advice I have received from Mr. Vandersteen I have tested and applied he has been right 100% of the time. He even helped me get past a ARC issue that he hit on the head making me adapte auddsey ARC software to get rid of a slight seperation issue. My head still spins from the resoning and sicience behind it, but boy did it work and voices are so clear in HT. He just knows his stuff.

Yes Vandersteen does, even though I agree with Dunlavy regarding wiring. I doubt John would discount someone's designs and hard work because they implement bi-wiring terminals, though. AJ needs to work on his approach.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #56 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I find AJ's "approach" both informative and hilarious - unless, of course, he's aiming at me!

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #57 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes Vandersteen does, even though I agree with Dunlavy regarding wiring. I doubt John would discount someone's designs and hard work because they implement bi-wiring terminals, though. AJ needs to work on his approach.

Dunlavy didn't have any issues with putting bi-wire terminals on his speakers. He was aware of his market. I don't remember him ever saying anything about them, but based on what I remember him saying about his offering of a "high-end" cable, they were most likely there because people wanted/expected them. The cable he offered was a single run, nicely built cable that measured well. IIRC it was simply your regular stranded copper. People wanted fancy cables and he gave them a set that looked a bit fancy and actually performed. He charged a bit for them, but, as usual, if they were too cheap people wouldn't have believed in them. He was not a believer in the exotic for the sake of being exotic. If it didn't measure well, it wasn't his thing. Here is a pic of a pair.
post #58 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dunlavy didn't have any issues with putting bi-wire terminals on his speakers. He was aware of his market. I don't remember him ever saying anything about them, but based on what I remember him saying about his offering of a "high-end" cable, they were most likely there because people wanted/expected them. The cable he offered was a single run, nicely built cable that measured well. IIRC it was simply your regular stranded copper. People wanted fancy cables and he gave them a set that looked a bit fancy and actually performed. He charged a bit for them, but, as usual, if they were too cheap people wouldn't have believed in them. He was not a believer in the exotic for the sake of being exotic. If it didn't measure well, it wasn't his thing. Here is a pic of a pair.

Yes sir - very cool. Like I said, Dunlavy really new his stuff. I wish he were around today.

Thanks for the link!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #59 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

I doubt John would discount someone's designs and hard work because they implement bi-wiring terminals, though.

Perhaps not, but he'd probably still call a spade a spade and say that bi-wire terminals are only there because at the price point they're sold at it's expected, and if those who demand their placebos aren't satisfied they might take their business elsewhere.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #60 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

You'd think it would have to use at least one or two LMS5400 Ultras, or maybe that TSAD driver from Funk Audio, eh?

Dr. Olive's Blog

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page