Best Speakers in the world - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Perhaps not, but he'd probably still call a spade a spade and say that bi-wire terminals are only there because at the price point they're sold at it's expected, and if those who demand their placebos aren't satisfied they might take their business elsewhere.

Exactly - we agree.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The mailing address is a residential home. What is interesting is that they require payment ahead of time via wire or bank transfer...
Fanaticalism is offline  
post #63 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM
 
AJinFLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Take a guess
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

Dunlavy didn't have any issues with putting bi-wire terminals on his speakers.

What you are calling "buywire" terminals might actually be "bi-amp" terminals yes? This also requires multi terminals, but less imagination. Not an audiophile, so don't speak for or with the dead, hard to say the intent at this point, but given his understanding of both physics and psychology as indicated in my link...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

He was aware of his market.

That he was. Lots of spinning heads and a maybe a few multi-ampers.

cheers,

AJ
AJinFLA is offline  
post #64 of 81 Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Member
 
Bryceo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I myself would love to hear a 15K subwoofer.

I agree with reefdvr
Bryceo is offline  
post #65 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NIN74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Skoghall, va, Sweden
Posts: 3,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

In terms of what you actually can hear there's no benefit to spending more than $3k. All you get for more than that is bling.

Can you show me what speakers that do 16-20hz -+1dB and can do at least 130dB SPL @ 16hz and that cannot be improved in soundquality?

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
NIN74 is offline  
post #66 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post

Can you show me what speakers that do 16-20hz -+1dB and can do at least 130dB SPL @ 16hz and that cannot be improved in soundquality?

What's pertinent is that the majority of speakers that go for over $10k won't do that.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #67 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Member
 
Bryceo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not a god or Anything but the best speakers to me are the ones I own!
Bryceo is offline  
post #68 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
jmichaelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

What's pertinent is that the majority of speakers that go for over $10k won't do that.

Indeed, the "best speaker in the world" isn't a perfect speaker. As has already been hinted in this thread, taking a holistic approach will get closer to perfection than any single high priced item: room, speakers, subs, and competent gear.
jmichaelf is offline  
post #69 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dr_Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

In terms of what you actually can hear there's no benefit to spending more than $3k. All you get for more than that is bling.

Not true, the Dali 300 Helicon mki retailed for $3, the MKII's are $4k a pair. and yes you can hear a differance. They are much better.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
Dr_Mark is offline  
post #70 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Member
 
jjlee138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

The mailing address is a residential home. What is interesting is that they require payment ahead of time via wire or bank transfer...

It's obviously a site setup by someone that's just spent some time looking for and compiling a list of high end audio equipment and is hoping to just make a small number of sales to suckers that are basically paying someone else to be a middle man with MASSIVE markup. You give them your money 1st, they go out and buy the product at half cost and ship it to you.

From their site

"We may not be a dealer for every product listed in which case that product will be purchased from an authorized dealer on behalf of the customer"
jjlee138 is offline  
post #71 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Not true, the Dali 300 Helicon mki retailed for $3, the MKII's are $4k a pair. and yes you can hear a differance. They are much better.

That doesn't mean you can't find a $3k speaker from another manufacturer that is 'better' than the MKIIs. You might even find a $2k speaker that is 'better' than the MKIIs.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #72 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
johnbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: london,ontario,canada
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I say the best Speakers in the world are ones you love the most.
johnbr is offline  
post #73 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
vraxoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceo View Post

I'm not a god or Anything but the best speakers to me are the ones I own!

When someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!
vraxoin is offline  
post #74 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NIN74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Skoghall, va, Sweden
Posts: 3,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

What's pertinent is that the majority of speakers that go for over $10k won't do that.

You said: "In terms of what you actually can hear there's no benefit to spending more than $3k. All you get for more than that is bling."

I asked if you could point out a speaker under 3K$ that can do what I want and you didn't.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
NIN74 is offline  
post #75 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
jmichaelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post

You said: "In terms of what you actually can hear there's no benefit to spending more than $3k. All you get for more than that is bling."

I asked if you could point out a speaker under 3K$ that can do what I want and you didn't.

can you find one that meets those criteria at any price?
jmichaelf is offline  
post #76 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chikoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlee138 View Post


It's obviously a site setup by someone that's just spent some time looking for and compiling a list of high end audio equipment and is hoping to just make a small number of sales to suckers that are basically paying someone else to be a middle man with MASSIVE markup. You give them your money 1st, they go out and buy the product at half cost and ship it to you.

From their site

"We may not be a dealer for every product listed in which case that product will be purchased from an authorized dealer on behalf of the customer"

That is not wrong. They are a buying concierge. Big deal.
chikoo is offline  
post #77 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chikoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post


Can you show me what speakers that do 16-20hz -+1dB and can do at least 130dB SPL @ 16hz and that cannot be improved in soundquality?

You show me one and I will make sure even the burger flipper can afford it. It is all on economies of scale.
chikoo is offline  
post #78 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

You show me one and I will make sure even the burger flipper can afford it. It is all on economies of scale.

There are many, though of course you'd be looking at separate subs/mains to get that kind of extension, probably horn loaded for that kind of output. If you're shopping for that kind of system have a look here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1387083

and here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353217

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #79 of 81 Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

That is not wrong. They are a buying concierge. Big deal.

My buying concierge is my wife, which makes things difficult.
Fanaticalism is offline  
post #80 of 81 Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chikoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

There are many, though of course you'd be looking at separate subs/mains to get that kind of extension, probably horn loaded for that kind of output. If you're shopping for that kind of system have a look here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1387083

and here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353217

And all of these can be had for a decent price.
Imagine all the various speakers, millions of them, being replaced by the best speakers in the world. The very decision to mass produce them will bring the price down. Add to it various efficiencies that will be introduced in the process and it even becomes profitable.
chikoo is offline  
post #81 of 81 Old 05-27-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

And all of these can be had for a decent price.

One not mentioned there is Earl Geddes Abbey, which has high sensitivity and very good response, better than most $10k speakers; it comes in at $3k. If I had to settle for store bought it would be at the top of my list. Anyone wishing to argue the point is encouraged to do so directly with Earl, who is always up for some verbal jousting.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off