Can anyone fix this mess of a room layout? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cheers and thanks for looking at this mess...

I have just bought a new home and despite my protests, my wife wants to keep our massive sectional. Due to this, I am super limited with my dream entertainment room...

I have attached a drawing of the room layout. The good thing is I haven't purchased the speakers yet, so I am wide open for suggestions. I will be buying a DENON AVR 2312 7.2 receiver; however I only plan on using 5 speakers.

This room has a noticeable echo and hard wood floors. We will put a rug down to cover a good amount of the floor. Hopefully the Audessy MultEQ XT will help with some room correction, but I realize that it is going to boil down to speaker selection and placement.

To top it off, I am somewhat budgeted. I would like to complete the 5.1 set up for around $1,000.

I was thinking of putting the Left Front in corner 1, Right Front in corner 2, Left Surround in corner 3 and Right Surround in corner 4. I was going to put the Sub behind the TV and the Mid underneath. The left and right surrounds can be wall mounts or stands. I am totally open to your suggestions.

So, am I SOL or what?

-Scott
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the room.

Thanks in advance.
LL
LL
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can the couch face away from the window with the TV in the middle of the "south" wall (between corners 2 and 4)? Or flip it so the TV is opposite the doorway (and not in a corner).

I think your idea for where to put the FL an FR is way too spread out personally, and quite uneven.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If you actually want to get a decent setup, you need to put the corner of the sectional in corner 3, between corners 1 and 4, and the tv along the opposite wall, between corners 2 and 4. Even better would be if you could pull the sectional out a couple feet from the window, so your surrounds actually have room to the rear (I realize that isnt likely).

Your shown idea will not work at all for HT. Stereo could work if you sit directly centered across from corners 1/2.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Here is something to look at, and read.
http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...rplacement.pdf

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

For corner mounted speakers the Polk OWM5's are pretty solid (OWM 3's for surround).
Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

So this would be the best case scenario. What do you think about the placement of the second Sub Woofer (B)?

By chance, was anyone on the debate team in high school? I am going to need some help convincing my wife to block the window...

=)
LL
Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks WAY better! If you leave enough room to walk behind the couch, you can say the window isn't blocked Sub placement looks good to start. Once you get everything in the room you can tweak placement to get the best sound for all the speakers.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

or this...

should the surrounds be parallel with the window wall or angle towards the couch?
LL
Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

This is "ideal"

Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jay.

In reference to the Polk OWM5's, what is the difference between the 3 and 5? Why are the 3's getting better reviews? I really like the mounting options for the surrounds.

I was thinking about the BIC America F12 sub. It's @ a great price point right now online.

Do you have a recommendation for the fronts and center? I am leaning towards floor standing speakers for the fronts...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Those polks were based on your original layout, with speakers in corners. If you go with your new layout, you can do better. You can still use the OWM's for surrounds of course, as an exact match isn't really needed unless multi channel audio is a high priority. Anyway, for $1k

Ascend HTM200 x5 $700 shipped

Or CBM170 x3 with OWM3's for surround

Klipsch RW12D $300 until the 28th

If you plan on wall mounting the 200's would be better, if not the 170 setup will be better.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I agree with the other posters - having the TV in the corner is the worst placement in that room. Having the TV opposite the window would work pretty good. Ash-canning the sectional would be ideal - it dominates and dictates the room layout. A couple of recliners and a nice couch would be much easier to deal with - and a recliner is much more relaxing.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I agree with the other posters - having the TV in the corner is the worst placement in that room. Having the TV opposite the window would work pretty good. Ash-canning the sectional would be ideal - it dominates and dictates the room layout. A couple of recliners and a nice couch would be much easier to deal with - and a recliner is much more relaxing.

AMEN Knucklehead. I hate the sectional. It is massive and does exactly that, dictate the layout of the rest of the room...

I don't even sit on it anymore. However, my wife is not going to go for a couch and entertainment system. So for the time being I need to work with it. In a year, I will be pressing my wife to get some new furniture. Until then, it is what it is.

With a different couch allowing more options for the TV placement, would you recommend moving the TV?

Luckily, I have a crawlspace. I plan on running the wires underneath the floorboards. If I drill some holes, I would prefer to keep those speaker placements. Unless I went through the wall, which I could patch easily.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Klipsch RW12D $300 until the 28th

Wow! That is a crazy deal Jay.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I have a similar setup as your original picture in my family room. Here's what I did...

1) I wall mounted my front two speakers. One over the TV maybe a foot from the wall and a mirror image on the opposite side. I angled the speakers down towards the sofa. I bought speakers that can be angled down, but you can be creative to make anything wall mountable angle down. Maybe buy some wall mounts with the pivotal ball and bolt the speakers to them.
2) Place a shelf over the entryway and put a center channel there at the same height as the fronts. I put a piece of 2x4 under the back of the center so it too is angled down towards the sofa. You cant see the 2x4 since the shelf is like 6.5' off the ground.
3) Place rears against the left and right walls to the left and right of where you sit. Angle them towards where you sit.
4) I have a 7.1 setup, so I also put rears against the wall behind the sofa.
5) I put the sub on the floor next to the sofa, but you can't do that. Place the sub wherever you can place it. I bought a very small 6.5" sub (8" cube) for around $200 to make it fit. it's not great, but it's a lot better than nothing. The small size allows me to move it around in case it's in a bad spot.

It's not ideal, but it's not that bad. I honestly would rather have a less than optimal sound and a quiet wife than the other way around.

Good Luck
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhorn View Post

it's not ideal, but it's not that bad. I honestly would rather have a less than optimal sound and a quiet wife than the other way around.

Good luck

haha
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Good point, kidhorn

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub