Wire satellite and sub in parallel off of amp without sub pre-out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
I have a subwoofer and satellites I'd like to repurpose as PC speakers. Unfortunately, the sub doesn't have speaker level outputs - only inputs. Nor does the little amp I plan on using have a RCA pre-out for a sub.

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-Tripath-...d=JZ4RZVLYHYQC

Is there any issue with wiring the sub and the amp in parallel? As in, running two wires out from each post on the amp, one to the satellite, and one to the subwoofer speaker level input?

I've read this is supposed to be a bad idea for two sets of passive speakers, but does the same rule apply to a self powered sub in parallel with passive satellites?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
How about this amp instead?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=310-308

I actually have the 2.0 amp you linked, works well, but a 2.1 would be a better choice for your situation.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I actually have the 2.0 amp you linked, works well, but a 2.1 would be a better choice for your situation.

Hmmm thanks...that might be exactly what I need.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On second thought....seems to get terrible reviews. Anything similar, preferably with a non-amplified sub out?

post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Yeah the reviews are mixed I see - not sure what else to recommend that has such a nice price. I'm in the same boat, using the Lepai amp connected to my PC, and would like to add a sub - one other thing I was going to check was a modest used AVR (eBay, craigslist).

Or maybe you could what you're suggesting by adding an impedence matching speaker selector? Don't have experience with them, but was just looking into them last week - to be able to audition multiple speakers and A/B test.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah the reviews are mixed I see - not sure what else to recommend that has such a nice price. I'm in the same boat, using the Lepai amp connected to my PC, and would like to add a sub - one other thing I was going to check was a modest used AVR (eBay, craigslist).

Or maybe you could what you're suggesting by adding an impedence matching speaker selector? Don't have experience with them, but was just looking into them last week - to be able to audition multiple speakers and A/B test.

My old A/V receiver is sort of my fallback....it'd absolutely be the best choice in terms of sound quality and connectivity....but it's positively monstrous compared to a tiny little amp. Having a sub preout on a mini amp seems such a basic and obvious thing to me....I don't understand why it's so hard to find.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Is there any issue with wiring the sub and the amp in parallel? As in, running two wires out from each post on the amp, one to the satellite, and one to the subwoofer speaker level input?

I've read this is supposed to be a bad idea for two sets of passive speakers, but does the same rule apply to a self powered sub in parallel with passive satellites?

Well, it's a bad idea to wire two sets of speakers in parallel when the particular amp is not designed to handle the lower impedance that results, but with a suitably capable amp (not sure about yours) it works fine.

As for what you're suggesting, first let me say that I've never tried it and am not an expert on amps, so I won't guarantee anything--you must assume all of the risk of whatever you may try. That said, I would expect that the speaker-level inputs of the sub would have rather high impedance (typically in the thousands of ohms), as they are not supposed to draw much current (ideally none). This will only lower the impedance seen by the amp by a small amount, which shouldn't do any harm as long as your speakers are nominally 8 ohms. Then again, there are few things as dangerous as having a little knowledge.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

By the way, what line-level input(s) does your sub have? If it has both left and right inputs, then you could use a Y-splitter to parallel the signal coming from the source device between the amp and sub. On the other hand, if your sub only has a single line-level input, then you'd need a separate summing circuit (do NOT use a Y-splitter to combine the left & right channels!), so you might as well try hooking everything up like you originally suggested.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

By the way, what line-level input(s) does your sub have? If it has both left and right inputs, then you could use a Y-splitter to parallel the signal coming from the source device between the amp and sub. On the other hand, if your sub only has a single line-level input, then you'd need a separate summing circuit (do NOT use a Y-splitter to combine the left & right channels!), so you might as well try hooking everything up like you originally suggested.

I thought about that too, but then I guess I'd have to control volume at the source?

post #10 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I thought about that too, but then I guess I'd have to control volume at the source?

Yes, you'd have to use your PC's volume control in that case. And by the way, I meant that two Y-splitters would be used to split both the left and right channels.

If you'd rather use the volume control on the amplifier, though, then try it the other way (parallel connection to the amp's speaker-level outputs). The odds of something going wrong are slim, in my opinion--the subwoofer's speaker-level inputs would have to be incorrectly-designed or defective for anything bad to happen. If somebody knows better, then please speak up now.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page