New Towers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
grizimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anybody have any recommendations on towers around $1000 for a pair? Looking to replace my Polk Monitor 60s. Room is around 4300 cu ft, have a Polk CS2 center and Polk Monitor 40s for surround. Also have 2 Outlaw subs, an EX and a Plus. Running a Yamaha RXV 671.

Side note: If I do replace my towers would I also need to look at replacing my center channel as well?

grizimes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Unless you just get Monitor 70's, yes you will need a new center.

These are normally $1kpr, decent little sale right now

http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Towe...&category=3773

The center's on sale too, so you could get the LCR done for $1030

http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Cent...&category=3774
Jay1 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I also recommend the NHT Absolute Towers.
AcuDefTechGuy is online now  
post #4 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You could also get a nice set of towers with your entire $1,000 dollars and just wait a little longer to pick up a center. A decent center is usually only $200-$500 dollars, depending on the brand you decide to go with.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,442
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

Anybody have any recommendations on towers around $1000 for a pair? Looking to replace my Polk Monitor 60s. Room is around 4300 cu ft, have a Polk CS2 center and Polk Monitor 40s for surround. Also have 2 Outlaw subs, an EX and a Plus. Running a Yamaha RXV 671.

Side note: If I do replace my towers would I also need to look at replacing my center channel as well?

Is this room mainly for HT? What is the listening distance? What levels do you like to listen to movies?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
grizimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post


Is this room mainly for HT? What is the listening distance? What levels do you like to listen to movies?

Probably 50/50 music and movies. I listen to both at about -10db on my AVR. My LP is about 11 feet away from the main stage.

grizimes is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

Anybody have any recommendations on towers around $1000 for a pair? Looking to replace my Polk Monitor 60s. Room is around 4300 cu ft, have a Polk CS2 center and Polk Monitor 40s for surround. Also have 2 Outlaw subs, an EX and a Plus. Running a Yamaha RXV 671.

Side note: If I do replace my towers would I also need to look at replacing my center channel as well?

since you have some decent subs, you could get some monitor/bookshelf speakers that will probably outperform most towers in your price range, crossover to the subs for levels below 80 hz.

Ascend Sierra
Paradigm Studio 10s
Dynaudio Excites X12
Focal 807s
PSB Imagine B
Salk SongSurround Is
Monitor Audio Silver RX2

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
callas01 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
grizimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

since you have some decent subs, you could get some monitor/bookshelf speakers that will probably outperform most towers in your price range, crossover to the subs for levels below 80 hz.

Ascend Sierra
Paradigm Studio 10s
Dynaudio Excites X12
Focal 807s
PSB Imagine B
Salk SongSurround Is
Monitor Audio Silver RX2

I am a noob to HT, so I may require some explanation. Would bookshelves actually be an upgrade? I have never heard of any of those brands, and I'm in a similar boat I was 4 months ago. I bought my speakers (5.0) from new egg because I got them all for a great price. Didn't do hardly any research. After my purchase I spent a lot of time lurking on the subwoofer forum here to determine which sub I'd like to purchase. Now that I have the bug, I'm looking to upgrade my front soundstage. Nothing extraordinary, just a bit more. I love my Polks, don't get me wrong, but I only paid $100 each for my monitor 60s. I've been so impressed by my subs that I'm looking to upgrade the rest. My first concern with a bigger tower would be my output on my AVR. My second concern, and not really a concern, but would a bookshelf actually put out comparable sound in that large a room (4300-4500 cu ft)? I am about quality, although my ear is by no means one of an audiophile. I'm still pretty new to this hobby, and am looking for a bit of direction.

grizimes is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

I am a noob to HT, so I may require some explanation. Would bookshelves actually be an upgrade? I have never heard of any of those brands, and I'm in a similar boat I was 4 months ago. I bought my speakers (5.0) from new egg because I got them all for a great price. Didn't do hardly any research. After my purchase I spent a lot of time lurking on the subwoofer forum here to determine which sub I'd like to purchase. Now that I have the bug, I'm looking to upgrade my front soundstage. Nothing extraordinary, just a bit more. I love my Polks, don't get me wrong, but I only paid $100 each for my monitor 60s. I've been so impressed by my subs that I'm looking to upgrade the rest. My first concern with a bigger tower would be my output on my AVR. My second concern, and not really a concern, but would a bookshelf actually put out comparable sound in that large a room (4300-4500 cu ft)? I am about quality, although my ear is by no means one of an audiophile. I'm still pretty new to this hobby, and am looking for a bit of direction.

I did the same thing as you, I bought towers originally, actually 2 times. I later heard what high quality monitors can do, and it was amazing to hear that a 2-way bookshelf could outperform towers. I eventually bought Dynaudio X16s.

In many ways you will get more for your money, but you will sacrifice output that would be gained from multiple drivers. I honestly didnt see that your room was 4300 cu ft., that is a big room you have. Maybe you would be better served looking at the used market for some quality towers, or look at higher quality speakers that are being liquidated, or b-stock(demos and trade-ins or they might have a small flaw like flaked veneer), and internet direct brands(axiom or aperion)

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mon...ly-rated-tower
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4917-fo...eakers-pr.aspx
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15535-w...eakers-pr.aspx
www.saturdayaudio.com (PSB speacials / b-stocks)
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/542145304

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
callas01 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
grizimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

I did the same thing as you, I bought towers originally, actually 2 times. I later heard what high quality monitors can do, and it was amazing to hear that a 2-way bookshelf could outperform towers. I eventually bought Dynaudio X16s.

In many ways you will get more for your money, but you will sacrifice output that would be gained from multiple drivers. I honestly didnt see that your room was 4300 cu ft., that is a big room you have. Maybe you would be better served looking at the used market for some quality towers, or look at higher quality speakers that are being liquidated, or b-stock(demos and trade-ins or they might have a small flaw like flaked veneer), and internet direct brands(axiom or aperion)

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mon...ly-rated-tower
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4917-fo...eakers-pr.aspx
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15535-w...eakers-pr.aspx
www.saturdayaudio.com (PSB speacials / b-stocks)
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/542145304

I wound up going with Energy RC 70s and and Energy RC LCR. Should be here Thursday. Sweet.

grizimes is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

I wound up going with Energy RC 70s and and Energy RC LCR. Should be here Thursday. Sweet.

congrats, I used to have Energys before my Dynaudios. They were good speakers, esp. for the price.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
callas01 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Member
 
nxcuongvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please go to audition for Wharfedale Diamond 10.6..you will be impressed by them.This pair is really the best one for 1000$ range.
nxcuongvn is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off