BEST speakers for use with Sonos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for speakers to use with the Sonos system. I think the Play 3 and Play 5 offered with the system have awful sound quality. I need two bookshelf speakers for the living room, another two to sit on the floor of the back wall of the living room, and two for the floor of the dining room.

Can anyone recommend great speakers for use with this system? It would be great if they were small-ish, and could be painted a custom color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumraisin16 View Post

I'm looking for speakers to use with the Sonos system. I think the Play 3 and Play 5 offered with the system have awful sound quality. I need two bookshelf speakers for the living room, another two to sit on the floor of the back wall of the living room, and two for the floor of the dining room.

Can anyone recommend great speakers for use with this system? It would be great if they were small-ish, and could be painted a custom color.

What's your budget?
The Sonos connect:amp only has 55W/ch, that would limit your speaker options.
You could consider active speakers so you would only need the Sonos connect.
If you can afford it, you can pick up a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110As for about $1500/pr
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Check out Definitive Technology's new bookshelf Studio Monitor 45 , 55 and the mighty 65.They are damn good sounding speakers are very efficient.

Try out a pair of B&W CM1's or 685's which both are pretty sweet.
Another strong contender would be a pair of Totem Rainmakers , one of my personal favorites.

Klipsch Reference RB-61's sound awesome and play very loud with little power. These are probably a perfect match.

Remember the quality of music files you are playing with Sonos will greatly effect your overall sound quality. The Play 3 is really designed to be a stereo pair but can work by it self is a small area. The Play 5 is also a small area like a kitchen for back ground music. They are not really good enough for a good 2 channel listening experience.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumraisin16 View Post

You want to put bookshelf speakers on the floor?
What is the budget - and what colors are you talking about?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If that 55 watt per channel rating is a RMS (continuous) rating with THD under @.5% THD, IMO that will be more than enough to power to enable just about any bookshelf speaker to provide levels in the "typical" living room, or especially dining room, that would completely wipe out any normal conversation i.e. you would have to shout to be heard. In my estimation this would happen with speakers in the 86dB and higher efficiency range.*

As far as floor placement: it sounds like you're using these for background music purposes, so I wouldn't worry about good stereo imaging and such, but placing them on the floor will very probably produce a muffled sound quality and irritating boomy bass, partly negating their use as music providers, not to mention the increased chances of being damaged by people's feet or beverage spills.

* I still own a Pioneer receiver purchased in 1983 rated at 45 watts/channel - into 8 ohms with .01%THD from 20Hz-20kHz - and it has no problems whatsoever operating speakers I've owned, e.g. going from 86dB efficiency ratings (Advent "Baby" bookshelfs with single 6.5" woofer) on up to floorstanders with single 12" woofers (91dB)
post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does any one have any thoughts on using a pair of Polk 265-LS in wall speakers with a Sonos Connect Amp in terms of matching impedence and power?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page