Floor standing speaker pair for ~1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade to floor standing speakers (I am currently using Boston Acoustics small HTIB speakers). I would appreciate any advice on some good options on a pair that can be had for about $1000 or less. Unfortunately I live in an area where I can not easily go audition any speakers.

Here are some pertinent details:

- Room size is approx. 12' x 20'
- Speakers will primarily be used for music (hard rock, classic rock, A LOT of acoustic, some classical) and rarely for movies.
- Currently own a Denon AVR-591 receiver and a 10" Velodyne DSLR 4000

I am looking to make this purchase in the next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 AM

Perhaps the Magnepan MMG? When you mention you listen to lots of acoustic, they sprung to mind. You could return them if not satisfied.
post #3 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
In reality its hard to say what you would like as each of us has our own taste. You mentioned you live in an area that you can not easily go audition any speakers, as I would say that falls in about the 45% area to where we all fit in. There are ALOT of speaker choices so its best to do some research and such.

I assume you are looking for towers?? ( given the 12X20 area listed )

Looking at the specs on the Dennon you have its rated at 120 2ch driven & 75 all channels but I dont think its rated at 4ohm thou?? ( could be wrong ?)

IMO Klipsch would be a good place to start. There are easy to run as they produce a great clarity for acoustic & classical. As far has Hard rock & such they are pretty good as well but do better at acoustic & etc..

Just an Idea thou.... wish you luck!
post #4 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The best speakers for under $2000, IMO, are the PSB Image T6 speakers, which I purchased a year ago after listening to many many speakers and deciding they were the top choice.

They list at $1300, but Saturday Audio has factory refurbished ones with full warranty for $1039/pair.

You might want to read the Stereophile review on them, available at their website.

Highly recommended.

If that is more than you want to spend, another good choice would be the KEF C7 speakers, for $858 at the KEF Direct website.

The Magnepan MMG is an excellent speaker, but its limited dynamics and lack of bass make it a bad choice for any kind of rock music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikCustoms View Post

I am looking to upgrade to floor standing speakers (I am currently using Boston Acoustics small HTIB speakers). I would appreciate any advice on some good options on a pair that can be had for about $1000 or less. Unfortunately I live in an area where I can not easily go audition any speakers.

- Speakers will primarily be used for music (hard rock, classic rock, A LOT of acoustic, some classical) and rarely for movies.

post #5 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Look at Wharfedale Evo2-40
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15535-w...eakers-pr.aspx

And, PSB GT1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSB-G-Design...item439d80ccb5

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Vandersteen 1c. They're ugly, but that's part of the design (it was intentional due to the non baffle engineering). The PSB's mentioned are good too IMO, but above budget. Also, Monitor Audio RX-6's are worth checking out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #7 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Since rock, classic rock and Acoustic music are you main choices for listening it seems, Id suggest that you check out Monitor Audios Silver RX6. Theyre $1250, but if you have a local dealer Im sure you could get a discount, but they'd also be well worth the full retail, IMO if you had to buy from audioadvisor.com w/o a discount. (who knows they might give you one) They have enough top-end to make rock music realistic, but not so much they are bright. The mid-range is really pretty good, and the bass is great. To contrast, the Dali Lektor 6 was very good also, a little more mid-range detail(most notably with Piano which I like alot), and bass was on par, these(lektors) might be better for Jazz, Blues and Classical, but were a little more subdued for Rock music. Playing John Mayers Where the light Is live cd on both speakers, I felt that they could both play acoustic very well with great detail and texture. I did not buy either of these speakers, I bought Dynaudio Excites, but both Dali, MA, and Totem as well remain favorites of mine.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #8 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Monitor Audio RX6, is a real good choice - even at regular price.

post #9 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
energy RC-70 towers
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

kef iq90 towers

Jamo C807

hard to make a recommendation since we don't know what kind of sound you like, these speakers are very different from each other.

Afro GT
post #10 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the suggestions so far! There are a lot of really good suggestions for me to look into.

To answer some questions that were brought up....

- Yes due to room size I am primarily looking at towers.
- The information I found rated my receiver at 120w @ 6 ohms and 75w @ 8 ohms per channel (I think I could run it in multi channel stereo to double the power though? )
- I don't really care about the aesthetics as long as the sound quality is good.
- I am looking for speakers that offer a true representation of the source.

As far as the Magnepan MMG's go, would their lack of bass be that big of a deal when I have a decent sub with them?

Also, I'm a little surprised there haven't been any Polk's brought up. Are they not good speakers at this price point?

post #11 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The MMGs just plain don't play loud; they are very limited dynamically; I can't imagine anyone playing rock music through them and being satisfied. They are for the guy who listens to chamber music and vocals. No good for a full orchestra or rock, and overdriving them WILL permanently damage them.

The PSB Image T6 is much much better-sounding than ANY Polk I have heard at any price. IMO it is THE speaker to buy in this price range. You have much more power than needed to drive them well.

Quote:

Thank you for all the suggestions so far! There are a lot of really good suggestions for me to look into.

To answer some questions that were brought up....

- Yes due to room size I am primarily looking at towers.
- The information I found rated my receiver at 120w @ 6 ohms and 75w @ 8 ohms per channel (I think I could run it in multi channel stereo to double the power though? )
- I don't really care about the aesthetics as long as the sound quality is good.
- I am looking for speakers that offer a true representation of the source.

As far as the Magnepan MMG's go, would their lack of bass be that big of a deal when I have a decent sub with them?

Also, I'm a little surprised there haven't been any Polk's brought up. Are they not good speakers at this price point?

post #12 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
theres alot of nice choices mentioned here.i'd be happy with anyone of them. the maggies are great speakers and you would need a sub with them but are also 4 ohm and will need some power to push them and positioning them can be a problem. fwiw, take a look at the tekton design lores great reviews and in your budget

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #13 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Once again, I want to thank everyone for the help! This really is a great community!

I've narrowed it down to either the Monitor Audio RX6 or PSB Image T6. Looking around I found a lightly used entire 5 speaker RX (2 RX6 fronts, rx lcr center, 2 rx fx rears) surround set for 1400, so I'm leaning that way.

Any thoughts on buying used?

post #14 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've narrowed it down to either the Monitor Audio RX6 or PSB Image T6. Looking around I found a lightly used entire 5 speaker RX (2 RX6 fronts, rx lcr center, 2 rx fx rears) surround set for 1400, so I'm leaning that way.

Buying used is a good option, and a way to save money.

post #15 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once again, I want to thank everyone for the help! This really is a great community!

can you check them out first?

audiogon is generally a good site to buy from, so if thats a place your looking, most people there seem to be on the up and up. If locally, check them out first just to make sure they dont sound blown, but that would be a great setup to start with.

post #16 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

The speakers are semi local (about an hour and a half drive each way). Honestly if I were to make the drive and the speakers were in good condition and not blown I would have to buy them. I don't think I could bring myself to drive all the way out there and leave empty handed .

One concern is that the more I read up on these 2 it seems the Monitor's are geared more towards home theater and the PSB's are more for music. Does that seem accurate?

post #17 of 35 Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One concern is that the more I read up on these 2 it seems the Monitor's are geared more towards home theater and the PSB's are more for music. Does that seem accurate?

No!

Monitor Audio is one of the better speakers out there for music. They
have good detail, definition and depth. They also do a real good job
for home theater - they strike a good balance.

PSB is also good for music and home theater. From the two lines, I do
prefer Monitor Audio. Which-ever one you choose, will be a winner.

post #18 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
All of the suggestions have been very good. I'll throw out one more, Home Theater Direct's Level 3 towers. I have the Level 3 LCR bookshelf's (paired with an Empire crossed at 80hz) and they sound very very good musically (HT is awesome). I listen to a ridiculously wide variety of music hard rock (godsmack, metallica, et al.) metal core (ABR, we came as Romans et al) Metal (LOG) skrillex, hair metal, Pearl Jam, even some Adele (which I must say sounds amazing). All have sounded very well.
post #19 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Aguilar
I've owned the PSB Image T6 speakers, Magnapan MMGW (I just sold those yesterday), a bunch of different Energy Speakers and even Martin Logan's Aerius i speakers. To me, the PSB speakers were good and they lasted in my system for about a year but they felt like a stop gap for me. I keep coming back to Energy. I really like how they sound. Right now in my 2 channel system I am running some Energy Veritas 2.4's which are above your price bracket. I brought them down from my theater room. They are replacing my MMGW speakers. I replaced them with the newer Enegy Veritas 6.2's. I bought those from Vann's. They were $328 each since Energy is phasing them out. Awesome speaker for the price. When they came out, they were almost $2,500 for the set. To me, the sound stage has more depth than the PSB speakers and just sounds better. If you can audition the Veritas line, I think you will really enjoy them.

I really did enjoy the MMGW speakers but they do not play as loud and I really needed dual subs with them since the crossover had to be set so high. When i put dual subs with them they sounded really good, better than the PSB's did but not even close to the Veritas speakers.

post #20 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
How about a pair of new KEF Q900 for around $1200 delivered?
post #21 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

How about a pair of new KEF Q900 for around $1200 delivered?

Now that would be nice!

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #22 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Aguilar
KEF makes some good speakers too! I have a set of those in my theater room, some bi-polar inwalls. I have listened to several sets in the KEF line and they make some outstanding speakers! A friend of mine is a dealer for them. I think the KEF speakers would also be a fantastic option.

Jeff

post #23 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

The KEF's seem like a good option, but I can't find any for less than 900 each. Where are you seeing them being sold for 1200 delivered?

post #24 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Now that would be nice!

About a year ago I almost got the Q900 (to replace P362) for $1K delivered. But I didn't since I already have KEF 201/2.

It's who you know, right?
post #25 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got the latest price for brand new delivered pair:

KEF Q900 / $1284.00

Revel F12 / $1264.00

Revel F12 NRC Measurement

Revel F12 Stereophile Measurement

Revel F12 HTM Measurement
post #26 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have the Kef IQ90s. They are very good especially for the closeout pricing. I got them from Vanns. If you call in you can get a better deal usually then what is posted online.

post #27 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sign me up for the KEF's at that price! So, now I still need to know where to purchase them =)

post #28 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

No!

Monitor Audio is one of the better speakers out there for music. They
have good detail, definition and depth. They also do a real good job
for home theater - they strike a good balance.

PSB is also good for music and home theater. From the two lines, I do
prefer Monitor Audio. Which-ever one you choose, will be a winner.

I agree, if I were dead set on towers for $1k, the MA RX6s would probably be my #1 or #1b choice in their price range with the Dali Lektor 6s right there too. I have a local dealer near me with both, Id probably ask for in-home demos of both to choose. 50% or more of my listening is music, so a speaker has to communicate music first, HT second.

post #29 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sign me up for the KEF's at that price! So, now I still need to know where to purchase them =)

Did you get the private message I sent you regarding the contact info?

Got my Revel & RBH from Mark. PM me if you need help.
post #30 of 35 Old 06-01-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, thank you for the info!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page