Headphone recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys, looking for some suggestions. I've been using relatively crappy headphones for years and I'd like to get something a little better. My requirements are the following:

1) Over-the-ear: I have a 45-55 minute commute each way, daily. I don't want to disturb other passengers and I would prefer some degree of noise-cancellation. I'd also like some degree of comfort.

2) Preferably bluetooth capable. My primary music device is my iPhone 4S. I also own a PS3 and an iPad. I would prefer to be able to use these with the headphones in a wireless capacity, if possible, for use at the gym on in bed. But this would be the first requirement to get jettisoned due to price. I also use a Nintendo 3DS and would prefer to be able to use it with that, but that's a lesser requirement (and would require a standard jack). I'd prefer a device that could do both, but understand that may not be possible given my budget.

3) Folds up or otherwise can be organized quickly/neatly for use during travel. Being able to store this in my messenger bag when travelling is handy, as I store all my travel stuff that way. Ideally it should be able to be stored quickly as I get ready to get off the train and walk to the office.

4) Under $150.

As you can see, sound quality isn't that high on my list. I'm listening to mp3 and aac files or simple stereo signals from portable devices...they aren't high fidelity sources, so the needs for advanced cans isn't so great. I'm more concerned about features, honestly.

So is there anything out there that would actually fit the bill? If I eliminate the bluetooth feature, then what would be a good choice?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
I'd head over to Head-fi http://www.head-fi.org/f/ man. It's the AVS of the headphone world.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I bought a pair of Sennheiser MM60s for about 60 bucks on sale...those are outstanding! On ear, not over (so more comfortable)...just keep the volume reasonable and the people next to you won't be bothered.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #4 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Check out the JVC offerings
post #5 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlee138 View Post

I'd head over to Head-fi http://www.head-fi.org/f/ man. It's the AVS of the headphone world.

Yeah, I was there yesterday. The problem there is that there's Too Much Information, though I'll probably post something there, as well. I'm mostly looking to see if any fellow AVS folks have personal experience with some devices.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I'd actually recommend an in canal headset. I use the Android version of these:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf3.html

and love them. Clean, crisp sound without the overwhelming bass that most cheap headphones have, plus I can answer phone calls. Next month I'm going to take advantage of Etymotics custom fit program. Custom fit earmolds for $100.00.

http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/index.html

Looky here!
post #7 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Sorry, forgot about the blue tooth capability...the Sennheiser model that I have is not. I have yet to try a "over ear" model that you can actually wear for more than 5 minutes in an Iowa summer...so for me, the on ear are much better!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The Sennheiser CX300B MK II Bass Earbuds are wonderful in ear options, noise cancellation by design (in ear) and can be had for $20 on amazon. Dont be fooled by the "bass" description. They are very clean and not bassy.
post #9 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

The Sennheiser CX300B MK II Bass Earbuds are wonderful in ear options, noise cancellation by design (in ear) and can be had for $20 on amazon. Dont be fooled by the "bass" description. They are very clean and not bassy.

I've found IEM's (in-ear monitors) great for commuting on the New York subway system:
- protects your ears from damaging transit system noise
- no sound leaks out to annoy your fellow commuters
- compact & featherweight: easy to stow away while on the go

CX300:
- low-cost way to try out the IEM's; if you find you really like IEM's, then get something more expensive/better and CX300's will be spares
- CX300's have very soft & flexible ear tips, so your 1st IEM experience won't feel like cramming wadded sandpaper into your ears
- CX300's moderate amount of isolation will still allow you to be aware of announcements over the PA

For Bluetooth, the Motorola S305 is good for $40. They're on-ear headphones with a band behind the neck, and have limited isolation, but pair well and sound good.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
if you dont mind iems, check out the sennheiser cx6. These are the most comfortable iems that i ever owned and i own several pairs. these are over the ears but i find it best just to wear them regularly. Sound quality is good even coming out of your phone. Good mids and lows and very crisp on the highs. What I recommend is order a few pair from amazon try them all out and send the ones back that you dont want. Do this all in one order cause amazon will charge shipping for the returns

check these links at headfi

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...added-05-24-12

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shoo...added-04-29-12
post #11 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've been using and liking the Shure SE215-K Live Sound Monitor earphones that I picked up at amazon for under $100.

oz
post #12 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want subwoofer in ear sound, check out the vmoda earbud offerings. Amazing low bass, extreme isolation and not crispy highs.
post #13 of 28 Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

If I eliminate the bluetooth feature, then what would be a good choice?

Thanks.

I think it will be, and if you add one small ext. amp even better but that can be added later on.

I have two choices: Fostex TH-7B or Sony MDR-7506.

I own by myself Sony's and sold all others I had owned. You can check the reviews on amazon too. Very analytical both of them and will reveal everything in the recording. Some people they do not prefer this but anyway, this is your choice.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good choices, all.

I'm more interested in an over-the-ear for both noise-cancellation, not disturbing others and also for when I'm at the gym or eating (where movement seems to pop in-ear units out of my ears). I get very irritated having to keep pushing them back in my ears....though I've never used a form-fitting pair.

I keep hearing good things about both the Sonys and Senns, so I'll definitely investigate those.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Good choices, all.

I'm more interested in an over-the-ear for both noise-cancellation, not disturbing others and also for when I'm at the gym or eating (where movement seems to pop in-ear units out of my ears). I get very irritated having to keep pushing them back in my ears....though I've never used a form-fitting pair.

I keep hearing good things about both the Sonys and Senns, so I'll definitely investigate those.

BTW Sony's and Fostex are over the ears. Sony's are made out of aluminum and they are actually very good in terms of blocking the noise or noise protruding from them out. I just purchased just for fun those Dr. Dre headphones and sold them after 1 month. Quality is 0. Cable start to nick after 20 days of use, however they easy replaceable. They had way too much bass. They didn't enclosed the ears. etc, etc. I do not know why everyone is crazy about them, but it was easy sale while I got them from Europe for 75Euro and here I sold them like auction style while people on my workplace started to bid and got rid of them in one day and make even a profit enough for a large gourmet pizza and few drinks.

The only thing I can remember that it went wrong with Sony's is that foam started to flake but I changed this for velour ones from Beyerdynamic (exact fit and now they even more comfortable - a must do mod if you will go for them. I owned a lot of headphones and still hanging on those Sony's (owned Stax's, AKG, Senheiser, Beyerdynamic's, Koss, etc.) but I did have a good dedicated headphone amp.

YMMW!

All the best.
post #16 of 28 Old 06-02-2012, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good choices, all.

I tried the over ear, the problem is the noise cancellation is very poor on something like a subway. I bought a pair of Senn over ear with NC for flights on a SAAB turboprop and the NC was all but useless. Cans, or in canal are really your best bet. I recommend the Ety's now, not only for the great sound and noise cancellation, but because they sponsor such a cheap custom bud program for a super nice fit. Even without that, the triple flange tips keep them nice and secure in my ear.

Looky here!
post #17 of 28 Old 06-02-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I tried the over ear, the problem is the noise cancellation is very poor on something like a subway. I bought a pair of Senn over ear with NC for flights on a SAAB turboprop and the NC was all but useless. Cans, or in canal are really your best bet. I recommend the Ety's now, not only for the great sound and noise cancellation, but because they sponsor such a cheap custom bud program for a super nice fit. Even without that, the triple flange tips keep them nice and secure in my ear.

The Ety's are good... I had them but give them up while since I start to use them I had ear infections and need to go doctor and doctor said a Big NO, NO, for those headphones for me. Be careful and make sure that you flush your ears regularly even with custom fit. Also regular cleaning of those custom's buds is a must... It was to much maintenance for me especially my ears got fast full with wax and if I used over the ears not a trace of fast-building-wax in my ears... No problems at all...
post #18 of 28 Old 06-03-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAART View Post

The Ety's are good... I had them but give them up while since I start to use them I had ear infections and need to go doctor and doctor said a Big NO, NO, for those headphones for me. Be careful and make sure that you flush your ears regularly even with custom fit. Also regular cleaning of those custom's buds is a must... It was to much maintenance for me especially my ears got fast full with wax and if I used over the ears not a trace of fast-building-wax in my ears... No problems at all...

Ew. Sorry to hear about that. I had some Audio Technica NC cans that I really liked. Good sound and they still sent sound without the battery which was a plus over the Bose equivalent. After almost a decade one of the speakers developed a crackle so I had to give up on them.

Looky here!
post #19 of 28 Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So after going back and forth, I ended up compromising and going with the Sony MDR-NC7s. Seem comfortable to me and I was actually surprised how well the noise cancelling feature works. I used them on the regional train this morning and wasn't expecting much, since I'd tried them at home to no real difference.

But on the train, had the low level rumble noise...then I flipped the switch and it just disappeared. Kind of amazing.

So far the only problem I've seen is that I heard the 'bip bip bip bip' noise from cell phone interference which I heard once this morning. Not really a big deal, but I noticed it at one point. So far after a couple of hours use, I'm happy with them as good travel units.
post #20 of 28 Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:

So after going back and forth, I ended up compromising and going with the Sony MDR-NC7s. Seem comfortable to me and I was actually surprised how well the noise cancelling feature works. I used them on the regional train this morning and wasn't expecting much, since I'd tried them at home to no real difference.

But on the train, had the low level rumble noise...then I flipped the switch and it just disappeared. Kind of amazing.

So far the only problem I've seen is that I heard the 'bip bip bip bip' noise from cell phone interference which I heard once this morning. Not really a big deal, but I noticed it at one point. So far after a couple of hours use, I'm happy with them as good travel units.

Have a fun with your new purchase...
post #21 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM

hi

i would personally go for Sony MDR-7506 for critical listening
post #22 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 PM

I think it depends on what music or style of sound you like. If you like lots of bass, vmodas can deliver although they are pretty muddy cans. I think they can be had for less than 100 for the crossfade lps. If you like clarity then probly check any of the sennheisers. Audio technica ath m50s are pretty good for the price. Sony MDR zx600 are pretty clear, good for price, and look nice.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-ma-headphon View Post

hi

i would personally go for Sony MDR-7506 for critical listening

Why revive a thread over 6 months old in order to make a recommendation to someone who already bought their headphones? LOL

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #24 of 28 Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Why revive a thread over 6 months old in order to make a recommendation to someone who already bought their headphones? LOL

Boredom
post #25 of 28 Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I'm bored too...I'm reading this thread

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #26 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Are the BEATS people now going out and posting junk to forums similar to the BOSE people? Try not to be so obvious, jeez.
post #27 of 28 Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did anyone actually mention Beats in this thread? As far as I can recall, it was only Sony, Sennheiser and Fostex. And my actual purchase (which I'm still using and still happy with) were Sony headphones. I mean, if this was supposed to be Beats astro-turfing, it's a pretty bad job, don't you think?
post #28 of 28 Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

Did anyone actually mention Beats in this thread? As far as I can recall, it was only Sony, Sennheiser and Fostex. And my actual purchase (which I'm still using and still happy with) were Sony headphones. I mean, if this was supposed to be Beats astro-turfing, it's a pretty bad job, don't you think?

Funny, I think the post was deleted. I recall someone had posted how awesome their BEATS headphones were and had a link to some site to buy them. These kind of posts seem to pop up once a month or so...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page