floorstanding speakers in the 1-2k range - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello!

Im new to the audiophile scene, and I'd love some advice.

Ive decided on the marantz pm8004 and ill probably be buying a rega p1 and a marantz SA8004 to go with it.

now - Speakers!

id really like something floorstanding, in the 1-2k range. if a sub is going to be required to get the full experience, id like to keep it all under 2k for the sub and speaker pair.

i really like the looks of the klipsch rf-7 ii, but im a bit concerned at 70 wpc, the marantz might struggle to power them. id prefer to have just speakers, and i think with dual 10" woofers, these would provide plenty of bass.

someone also recommended the paradigm monitor 9's with the monitor 12 sub, which i guess can be had for around 2k as well.

i like to listen to mostly classic rock.

any help/input greatly appreciated! thanks!

Paradigm Studio 100 Floorstanding Loudspeakers
REL R505 Subwoofer
Marantz PM8004 Integrated
Marantz SA8004 SACD
Rega P6 Turntable
Rega Exact 2 Cartridge
Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6
Salamander Archetype 5.0 Equipment Rack
Chord ChameleonPlus, CobraPlus interconnect RCA
Legend Audio Bi-Wire...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 352
The Philharmonic 2 just makes it in your budget and would be a killer option (it performs way beyond it's price point).

Your amp would probably be ok with it, but you could contact Dennis to make sure (he is very honest and will not try to "sell" you anything).

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonic2.html

There is a thread about his speakers here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1348949

post #3 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

The Philharmonic 2 just makes it in your budget and would be a killer option (it performs way beyond it's price point).

Your amp would probably be ok with it, but you could contact Dennis to make sure (he is very honest and will not try to "sell" you anything).

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonic2.html

There is a thread about his speakers here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1348949

Great choice - that's what I was going to recommend. . I'll also add the Salk SongTowers and Vandersteen 2CE Sig II's.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #4 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Great choice - that's what I was going to recommend. . I'll also add the Salk SongTowers and Vandersteen 2CE Sig II's.

Hehehe.....I was going to recommend the SongTower also, but for some reason was thinking it is above the OP's max budget of $2k (it's right at $2k just like the Phil 2s). Silly me, I must have been thinking about the RAAL tweeter version.

I know the OP stated a preference for a floorstanding speaker, but if a monitor can be considered at all, I would strongly suggest considering the Soundfield Audio Monitor 1 as well (I've heard it; very impressive and a real bargain). It's a full range monitor, but at its current price, there's plenty of $$ left over for a sub if desired. It would also work well with the OP's amp since it will only be driving the mid/tweeter (the woofer has its own built in amp).

http://soundfieldaudio.net/

Just thought of something else as well. There's a gentleman on AudiCircle that builds GR Reasearch speakers (Ron). I know Ron and can vouch for him. He is selling a pair of GR Research AV-3 TLs at a very low price (don't let the low price fool you, I've heard these speakers and they sound great!). There's plenty of room in the budget to add a fantastic sub with these for a truely great full range system (although they also sound great on their own as well).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106713.0

post #5 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

the salk site recommends 80-250 wpc, id only be putting out 70. seems like im at the way low end of power for those.

REL R505 Subwoofer
Marantz SA8004 SACD
Rega P6 Turntable
Rega Exact 2 Cartridge
Legend Audio Bi-Wire...
post #6 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post

the salk site recommends 80-250 wpc, id only be putting out 70. seems like im at the way low end of power for those.

Add the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower to your list to audition. Minimum recommended power is 25 wpc.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #7 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes you are, but that applies to most speakers. 70 watts isn't going to drive many speakers properly. You may want to think about getting something more powerful before upgrading the speakers, else they won't be performing at their full potential. I wouldn't drive any of the speakers recommended to you with only 70 watts.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #8 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 13
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m80.html

If it were me, I'd go with these Axiom Audio M80's. $1440 for a pair and no need for a sub with music.

Take the extra money and upgrade the receiver.
post #9 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 23
My suggestion is to go and listen to a klipsch speaker and see if you like the sound. They would work great with classic rock, but remember the price for the klipsch is per speaker. The klipsch would be the easiest to drive as they are very sensitive and would work best with only 70 wpc. The other suggested speakers are much harder to drive. (sorry guys) A sub would probaly be not needed with the klipsch with 2 channel listening.
Classic rock, easy to drive, loud = klipsch
post #10 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I shopped for the best speakers under $2000 a year ago, and after listening to many speakers I narrowed it down to two; the KEF Q900 ($1800) and the PSB Image T6 ($1300). The others didn't make the final cut...lol.

The Q900 has lower bass extension (down to 30 Hz or so), and would work well without a sub, but I finally decided to go with the Image T6. I decided I liked its overall sound a tiny bit better.

I am using them with the NHT B12D subwoofer, and I love the sound of my system.

One of the reasons I went with the NHT sub is its relatively small size for a 12" sub, but it still is an outstanding unit; very clean undistorted bass. $600.

Another good one is the Rythmic FV12 sub, for $549.

The PSB speakers will be an easy load for your Marantz to drive; I used them with the Cambridge 340A (only 45 watts) to start with, and it had plenty of power to drive them. Keep in mind that the Marantz 8004 actually is rated for 100 watts per channel at 4 ohms, and the Image T6 is basically a 4 ohm speaker. It is a good match.

Quote:

Hello!

Im new to the audiophile scene, and I'd love some advice.

Ive decided on the marantz pm8004 and ill probably be buying a rega p1 and a marantz SA8004 to go with it.

now - Speakers!

id really like something floorstanding, in the 1-2k range. if a sub is going to be required to get the full experience, id like to keep it all under 2k for the sub and speaker pair.

i really like the looks of the klipsch rf-7 ii, but im a bit concerned at 70 wpc, the marantz might struggle to power them. id prefer to have just speakers, and i think with dual 10" woofers, these would provide plenty of bass.

someone also recommended the paradigm monitor 9's with the monitor 12 sub, which i guess can be had for around 2k as well.

i like to listen to mostly classic rock.

any help/input greatly appreciated! thanks!

post #11 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes you are, but that applies to most speakers. 70 watts isn't going to drive many speakers properly. You may want to think about getting something more powerful before upgrading the speakers, else they won't be performing at their full potential. I wouldn't drive any of the speakers recommended to you with only 70 watts.

Actually, I think 70 watts (continuous) is enough to drive most speakers to sane listening levels, even the SongTower. That is as long as it is a "real" 70 watts.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #12 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Actually, I think 70 watts (continuous) is enough to drive most speakers to sane listening levels, even the SongTower. That is as long as it is a "real" 70 watts.

I don't know man...transients and dynamic scenes during movies can really tax a measly 70 watts. In fact, they can hit well over 250 watts depending on the listening level. He can certainly try it, though.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #13 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

probably should have mentioned that from the get go:

music only for these, stereo only. no surround, no movies. me and my 2 channel music.

Per the klipsch - this was my thought originally as well - i know people slam klipsch for being too bright, overpriced, etc. but i also know they are famous for requiring very little sound to get loud. that being said, the flip side of that seems to be that the larger klipsch floorstandings seem to perform much better with more power, according to reviews. . . .

REL R505 Subwoofer
Marantz SA8004 SACD
Rega P6 Turntable
Rega Exact 2 Cartridge
Legend Audio Bi-Wire...
post #14 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

music only for these, stereo only. no surround, no movies. me and my 2 channel music.

Per the klipsch - this was my thought originally as well - i know people slam klipsch for being too bright, overpriced, etc. but i also know they are famous for requiring very little sound to get loud. that being said, the flip side of that seems to be that the larger klipsch floorstandings seem to perform much better with more power, according to reviews. . . .

Well, you can never have too much power. Like I said, you can certainly try, but I'd seriously think about getting a more powerful receiver, or an external amp if your current receiver has preouts (I'm guessing it doesn't).

2-channel music can become very dynamic at times, with wild swings in output (sometimes as much as 20dB differences). During transients those peak wattage levels can get into the high 200's, or even the low 300's depending on what SPL you're listening at and what the sensitivity and impedance of the speaker is. It sounds like you're going to be purchasing a nice pair of speakers, and I think you owe it to yourself to feed them the power they deserve. With that said, if purchasing a new receiver or amp is going to prevent you from buying new speakers, then just get the speakers. Just be careful how loud you listen, and be sure to upgrade that receiver/amp ASAP.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #15 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

amp does have preouts, but im not sure i want to spend the extra money to up the wattage

link to amp here:

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=PM8004

i should mention that ive also been looking really seriously at the paradigms, maybe the monitor 9s or the studio 60. they seem to take fairly low power. im just concerned its not going to be "full" enough sounding without an ext woofer.

REL R505 Subwoofer
Marantz SA8004 SACD
Rega P6 Turntable
Rega Exact 2 Cartridge
Legend Audio Bi-Wire...
post #16 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:

The Marantz is not a wimp - However, have you looked into
the Harman Kardon 3490, this can get you started on your
new adventure.
http://www.wwstereo.com/Harman-Kardo...FcEDtgodNlrTSQ

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #17 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

That would have to depend on the room size and efficiency of speakers. The song tower are pretty efficient, though not in terms of VERY high efficient speaker, but they are certainly more efficient then my 91db Altec Lansing tower. ST and Sierra Tower are probably going to sound about as lound with 70 watts.

To the OP, take a look at decware.
post #18 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 AM

I have the paradigm studio 60's in a 2 channel setup with a cambridge audio 85 wpc and they produce alot of bass in the room I have them in. No sub. I still would go listen to a few different speakers like klipsch, paradigm and others to see what type of sound you like.
I was a classic rock person, untill I got the studio's and now my musical tastes have changed somewhat.
post #19 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

I have the paradigm studio 60's in a 2 channel setup with a cambridge audio 85 wpc and they produce alot of bass in the room I have them in. No sub. I still would go listen to a few different speakers like klipsch, paradigm and others to see what type of sound you like.
I was a classic rock person, untill I got the studio's and now my musical tastes have changed somewhat.

wow really? totally off topic but how so? what kind of music do you find yourself listening to now?

REL R505 Subwoofer
Marantz SA8004 SACD
Rega P6 Turntable
Rega Exact 2 Cartridge
Legend Audio Bi-Wire...
post #20 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The bass performance in-room is all going to depend on the room. For instance, the Studio 60's may have terrible bass performance (slam, depth, etc) in one man's room, but amazing performance in another. The room effects everything below the Schroeder Frequency (200-300Hz).

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #21 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The bass performance in-room is all going to depend on the room. For instance, the Studio 60's may have terrible bass performance (slam, depth, etc) in one man's room, but amazing performance in another. The room effects everything below the Schroeder Frequency (200-300Hz).

thats a good point. and the room hasnt been 100% decided yet. to start with they will be in a very small bedroom thats basically empty, but im in the process of moving, so its a bit of a mystery. likely something bigger, but not much bigger.

REL R505 Subwoofer
Marantz SA8004 SACD
Rega P6 Turntable
Rega Exact 2 Cartridge
Legend Audio Bi-Wire...
post #22 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM

I still listen to rock but now I listen to alot of jazz as the studios are pretty detailed and clear. I don't mean elevator music either. I look for up beat jazz that is clear and I like alot of percussion. Stevie Ray Vaughan also sounds great on the 60's.
post #23 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't know man...transients and dynamic scenes during movies can really tax a measly 70 watts. In fact, they can hit well over 250 watts depending on the listening level. He can certainly try it, though.

Yes...listening level dependent.

Also depends on the caps in the amp as well.

You are right, better to have more power than less....can never have too much.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #24 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

That would have to depend on the room size and efficiency of speakers. The song tower are pretty efficient, though not in terms of VERY high efficient speaker, but they are certainly more efficient then my 91db Altec Lansing tower. ST and Sierra Tower are probably going to sound about as lound with 70 watts.

To the OP, take a look at decware.

In my experience, the Sierra Tower was louder than the SongTower at the same amp-pre/amp setting.

The Sierra Tower crossover was also designed knowing that some customers would want to use them with tube amps.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #25 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 AM

Liked: 10
I just received my song Towers... and wife and I both Love them for music... i havent even listened to HT yet, but mostly I wanted something that could do both and so far, my expectations have been exceeded.

bass response was much better then i expected, and very clear detailed midranges...

a VERY happy Salk customer here...
post #26 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Does Cossyman only recommends the same 2 brands everytime????

OP, there are so many speakers in the $2k range that are very good. And what works for one doesn't for another. I'd suggest auditioning whatever you can, and see about the 30 day trials on ID brands.

Salk, philharmonic, ascend, aperion, dynaudio, monitor audio, dali, focal, totem, paradigm, PSB, revel, amphion, etc, all have towers in that price range that are very good. So audition what you can. Decide for yourself.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #27 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys, FWIW, I use a 50 wpc naim nait 5i to power my speakers and it does so with ease. I have see it connected to much hard to power speakers and its been fine. Even in HT being used as a power with the htbp, I have not seen it break a sweat. Quality over quantity, as they say. I'm not delusional, its not going to fill a giant room with sound, but most living rooms of average size it can play loud rather easily.

post #28 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Does Cossyman only recommends the same 2 brands everytime????

OP, there are so many speakers in the $2k range that are very good. And what works for one doesn't for another. I'd suggest auditioning whatever you can, and see about the 30 day trials on ID brands.

Salk, philharmonic, ascend, aperion, dynaudio, monitor audio, dali, focal, totem, paradigm, PSB, revel, amphion, etc, all have towers in that price range that are very good. So audition what you can. Decide for yourself.

I have to agree!!
post #29 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Amphion is a brand that really want to hear, but always miss out on.

They will be at the T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach this weekend, and I am not missing them this time!

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #30 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amphion is a brand that really want to hear, but always miss out on.

They will be at the T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach this weekend, and I am not missing them this time!

They are a good brand. I'm sure you will at least enjoy them. My wife was a big fan of their looks.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page