Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

Unfortunately there's no store front Focal dealer in my area. But fortunately there's a very nice custom install dealer who has 1008Be for his home and invited me for a listening session.
Any other speakers you are auditioning besides 1008Be?

Im looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup for music and HT with a kickarse pair of bookshelves supplemented by a sub as my fronts. Im basically down to four front speakers at this point: B&w 805 Diamonds, Focal Electra 1008, Canton Reference 9.2, and KEF 201's. So far the only ones I have actually heard were the B&W 's and I thought they were very good for both music and punch with movies with the sub giving bass help. I know a place where I can hear the KEFs which I plan on visiting next weekend. Im having a devil of a time finding anywhere where I can listen to the Electras or the Cantons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 07-22-2012, 10:25 PM

Liked: 15
Same here regarding getting a demo for 1008 Be. It took me awhile to locate a dealer who actually had a pair in hand.

As big as Focal name is, there are't a lot of dealers that carry Focal in US, at least on the west coast.
post #33 of 43 Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
Where are located?
post #34 of 43 Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
I auditioned my Focals in Delaware if that helps. I'm not sure where are you located.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
post #35 of 43 Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breako View Post

Quote:

By the way, Electra 1008 Be on Paradigm J-23 stands look "almost" as good as Electra on matching Focal H1000S stands but with $900 less. smile.gif

Can the Electra 1008 's be screwed into the Paradigm stands or do they just sit atop them?

It just sits on top. I just use 2 sets of speaker couplers. Many suggested blu-tack should do the job as well.

I can send a pic or two if you're interested.
post #36 of 43 Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Same here regarding getting a demo for 1008 Be. It took me awhile to locate a dealer who actually had a pair in hand.
As big as Focal name is, there are't a lot of dealers that carry Focal in US, at least on the west coast.

Have you tried putting your address in here?
https://www.apscompass.com/dealer-locator.aspx

That is the importer for Focal speakers. Maybe they have some that you are not aware of. Well, one can hope smile.gif.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 43 Old 07-31-2012, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The 1028 Be sounds more transparent than the S8. The S8 should be able to play louder.
post #38 of 43 Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Louder is NOT a very good measurement of better.rolleyes.gif

Similar to how more BOOMY out of control bass is not either. (cough - Definitive - cough)

Focal vs Paradigm?

Odd that someone looking at Focal would even be interested in Paradigm.

A quick listen should answer THAT question easy enough.

Only in the age of the internet review can someone be considering such different levels of SQ at the same time. I'm surprised GoldenEar wasn't mentioned biggrin.gif

Nice to see more Americans interested in better speakers, however.

I'm amazed how the most popular speakers in the US sound like someone is talking on the other side of the wall.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #39 of 43 Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Louder is NOT a very good measurement of better.rolleyes.gif
Similar to how more BOOMY out of control bass is not either. (cough - Definitive - cough)
Focal vs Paradigm?
Odd that someone looking at Focal would even be interested in Paradigm.
A quick listen should answer THAT question easy enough.
Only in the age of the internet review can someone be considering such different levels of SQ at the same time. I'm surprised GoldenEar wasn't mentioned biggrin.gif
Nice to see more Americans interested in better speakers, however.
I'm amazed how the most popular speakers in the US sound like someone is talking on the other side of the wall.

Paradigm hold their own against similar Focal models so it doesn't seem odd to me that one would compare the two.
post #40 of 43 Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

Paradigm hold their own against similar Focal models so it doesn't seem odd to me that one would compare the two.

mainly because people are ignorant and nave no idea how either actually sounds first hand. They pick a winner based on being some dumb reason and lie through their teeth about everything ...biggrin.gif Good ol internet! lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #41 of 43 Old 09-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Liked: 12
I spent 6 months auditioning speakers. Those tried were Paradigm sig 2, Canton Reference 9.2, B&W 805D,Focal Utopia diablo, Electra 1008BE, Joseph Audio pulsar and one or two others. I was not concerned about Price only sound quality.

In the end it came down to a simple choice Diablo or Electra. I bought the Electra's. dont get me wrong the Diablos are fantastic but my too much so. What do i mean by that is that they are very in your face speakers. I am driving the speakers with Musical Fidelity A5.5 Amp and my main music source is Project 2 Xperience TT with Graddo Reference platinum Cartridge. Secondry source is A Creek Evolution CD player. I felt that the Diablos were simply over powering and possibly need to be tamed by a Good Valve Amp.

The Electras get to 95% of the Diablos but with a touch more warmth and are much easier to listen too.

I have had them now for 2 weeks and whilst they are still breaking in they already sound fantastic. They come close to Electrostatic speakers for imaging clarity and detail.

I would not hesitate to recommend them to even the most critical person. they are also beautiful to boot my pair are in Slate grey.

One thing to be wary of is they are not forgiving speakers and will reveal bad recordings and equipment for what it is.

"I know you for what you are not- for thats really all you are"-Don Mclean
post #42 of 43 Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughalot View Post

One thing to be wary of is they are not forgiving speakers and will reveal bad recordings and equipment for what it is.

I think that would be true for all accurate speakers and certainly the case for the Electra Be line.
post #43 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW - I own the Sig S8's & accompanying CC and surrounds and while they are great for HT, and are efficient and pretty darn good for music.... with the prices you are looking at I would highly suggest you take a look and if possible get an audition of Salk Soundscape 8's or 12s for 2 channel without a sub. They just don't compare in accuracy and detail to my other rig.

The Midrange & Tweeter is far superior then anything I have auditioned in that price range and higher.... Dennis Murphy designed the crossovers and chose the Accuton midrange and RAAL ribbon tweeter for good reason - they're the best. Completely transparent & accurate with nothing lost in translation.

http://www.salksound.com/soundscape%208%20home.htm

I purchased the first set of SoundScapes M7's to replace my Paradigm Sigs in my smaller rig after having heard most of the Salk lineup with our local audio group and knew they wouldn't disappoint.
I already had a 18" TC Sounds DIY sub, so I wasn't concerned about the lower end. They are truly spectacular, and can be built with any custom veneer/paint you can possibly think of, from one of the finest woodworkers in the US. The M7's pictured on the website are my speakers.

IMO you'd be hard pressed to find something that sounds better then the SoundScapes...

Pictures don't really do them justice, but these are amongst my favorites in a smokey silver birdseye finish.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108973.0

Good luck on your hunt Sir....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page