Am I Crazy? Looking for Logitech Z5500s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Now I know all the high end speaker talk that goes on here, but I'm looking for a set of budget speakers that perform well above their cost. After doing a lot of research I've settled on the Logitech Z5500. I know...I know...they're home theater computer speakers, but I've heard these speakers plenty of times to know that they sound better than most of the Bose line-up and it's only around $400 used.

As far as Logitech speakers go these are legendary, because, if I'm not mistaken, everything they ever put out after this was inferior. I think that's why they fetch nearly 1K on Amazon for a new one. Luckily, I don't care if they're new.

What do you guys think? Is there a better all in one package for the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
You want this for your home theater or just computer speakers?
post #3 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
please, what is your budget and how do you want to use these speakers ? room size ? music vs. movie ? Do you have an a/v receiver or multichannel amplifer ?
post #4 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
lol $400 used? their msrp was only $400 or $500 and they regularly sold for as little as $200. I sold my set for $200 and broke even a couple years ago before they were discontinued and demand spiked. I was glad to get rid of them.

I'd rather have a decent pair of stereo speakers than the logitech system.

post #5 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdc530 View Post

Now I know all the high end speaker talk that goes on here,

We run the whole gamut here, from low- to high-end.

Quote:

but I'm looking for a set of budget speakers that perform well above their cost. After doing a lot of research I've settled on the Logitech Z5500. I know...I know...they're home theater computer speakers, but I've heard these speakers plenty of times to know that they sound better than most of the Bose line-up and it's only around $400 used.

I assure you, these do NOT perform well above their cost, and Bose is not the best point of comparison.

Quote:

As far as Logitech speakers go these are legendary, because, if I'm not mistaken, everything they ever put out after this was inferior.

You're still not using even a half-decent baseline for comparison.

Quote:

What do you guys think? Is there a better all in one package for the price?

Does it have to be all-in-one when you can do better? Just tell us what your needs are (answering the questions that have already been asked), and we'll give you some suggestions. In addition, how large a speaker are you willing/able to accommodate?

To show you what is possible, take a look at the following system:
Infinity Primus P153 x 3 - $150
Dayton Audio B652 - $30
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 - $144
Denon AVR-391 - $140

This is a complete 5.1 system (minus cables) that costs $464, and would totally trash the Z5500, no comparison. And for $355, the receiver above plus the Dayton Audio HTP-3 is even lower-end but still easily superior to the Z5500 at a lower cost (not as good a value as the first, though).
post #6 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
This is a Bose killer, with a very good deal
Promo code savings - Definitive Tech
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882325104

Another deal - Martin Logan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882981013

NXG speakers - here
http://www.amazon.com/Nxg-Pro-4-1-Sa...8651483&sr=8-2

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

This is a Bose killer, with a very good deal
Promo code savings - Definitive Tech
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882325104

Another deal - Martin Logan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882981013

NXG speakers - here
http://www.amazon.com/Nxg-Pro-4-1-Sa...8651483&sr=8-2

If you want to talk crazy, vdc530, these are some crazy deals.

But if you'd be satisfied with something that I suspect sounds at least as good as the Z5500, and probably better, then maybe the Monoprice 8247 at around $100 (plus shipping, depending on where you live) would suffice. Oh yes, I went there. See, we do talk about low-end speakers here.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

But if you'd be satisfied with something that I suspect sounds at least as good as the Z5500, and probably better, then maybe the Monoprice 8247 at around $100 (plus shipping, depending on where you live) would suffice. Oh yes, I went there. See, we do talk about low-end speakers here.

That makes me think about KLH - however, some people are buying them.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

That makes me think about KLH - however, some people are buying them.

I wonder how many Walmart shoppers bought the Durabrand HT system back in the day:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

About the only way to beat that, price-wise, would be a DIY project. First buy five of these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-919. Mount three of them in small cardboard boxes for the front speakers (or sheets of cardboard if you prefer open-baffle speakers ), and then hang two of them sideways on your walls (no box) to function as dipole surrounds. Man, we've all been paying too much!
post #10 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Swan M10 or Swan M50s deserve a mention as well.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Wow! Those Martin Logan's look awesome.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboZX View Post

It's an awesome deal, alright, for what looks to be a quality system, but keep in mind that only so much awesomeness can be crammed into such tiny speakers, regarding the home theater experience. Even sound quality can suffer to some degree when you're forced to cross over to the subwoofer at maybe 150 Hz in this case (for the center). Size still matters, and while some speakers can overcome their limitations due to size to some degree, if you can accommodate larger speakers, then in my view this is generally advisable. Otherwise, it is OK to compromise on some things for smaller size, as long as you're aware of these issues and can make an informed decision, or have no choice.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.lockwaresystems.com/swanm605-71.html

I'm not sure what your budget was (if it was under 1k, these are a reach) but this is, in my opinion, one of the best all in one systems you can get. The subwoofer is a dual 8 inch ported as well as a receiver+amp for the satellites. All the channels are acoustically matched (which is the case for most HTIB), and the center is designed for horizontal use.

Swan has an outstanding quality rating and I'm sure that the M60's beat most, if not all HTIB systems ~$1k. Top if off with a modest and sophisticated look and you're looking at quite a powerful setup.

It's a bit on the expensive end but if you google around you will see that swan's systems tend to sound much better than their price suggests (which only further justifies the price). Many of the other systems, although very good, may give you the urge to upgrade later down the line. The next best thing after this swan set would be a "real" HT setup. At least with this you can easily upgrade, and move this system to another room or use it as a computer setup easily with no need for anything extra.

Here is an unboxing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPWz6cWEXCc

Do you're research. I'm suggesting this system based off my positive experience with many of swans speakers. If I was in the market for a HTIB, I would most certainly choose this set. Even swan's lower end multimedia lineup sound better than a lot of the fronts do on some of these HTIB systems. I have listened to a couple. I was in the market for a HTIB for gaming 2 years ago but decided to save my budget and get a hi-fi 2ch system. If I knew about the m60's at the time, I would of most likely ended up going with it. Although, my views have changed since then. 5.1 is no longer important to me as I really only use my speakers for music. Hence, the 2ch commitment.

As I mentioned above, I have not heard the m60's, but what I have heard are the m50's, the M200MKII's, the T200b's, and my current pair, the T900F's. Each one, scaling up in quality and sound. I was always blown away by what I was hearing, for the price no less. I've heard many budget HTIB systems (Best buy, friend's houses, etc.) and nothing even came close to these swan sets, and those HTIB were $800+!

I made the plunge with swan awhile back. I regret nothing.

- Kh[a]os

Note: In regards to logitech. I was an owner of the x540 set awhile back (my first ever speaker set). I have as well heard the z5500 (they were on my list when I was searching, I had a friend that owned them. The z906 just came out at the time so it was hard to find them anywhere else.). The x540 was a really great system for under$100. The z5500 was a really simple, easy setup for under $400. The z5500 in my opinion, "emulate" a good sound experience. They were nice for casual listening but not worth the price. Now, once I started to listen critically, I found them incredibly lacking in the music department. The subwoofer was bloated, the mids were non-existent, the high's decent and the midbass lacking. For HT and TV use, they are "all-right".

tl;dr: Any system that was recommended above is inherently and irrefutably better than anything logitech has to offer.

Please tell me what happened in this night.
It's like the cat inside the box.

You don't know if the cat in the box is dead or alive.

The cat in the box was dead.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboZX View Post

I'm surprised noone's mentioned the Energy Take Classics! $499 for an award-winning 5.1 set of speakers! Or the Pioneers by Andrew Jones!

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #15 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The Logitech was one of my first systems. It's ok. The sub is pretty boomy though. The mid range was not very good either. You can get a basic denon avr and a pair of energy rc 10s for almost the same money if you shop around.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Liked: 10
I purchased the z5500's when they first came out and owned them for a good 3 years before upgrading to a yamaha htib (purchased for maybe $500 - $600 if i remember right).

Not knowing anything different I was plenty pleased with the logitechs, which is what really counts. Though, the sound quality difference between the yamaha and the logitech was drastic. The yamahas were much more clear and precise, but I will admit the 80w 6" sub (maybe it was 8") wasn't in the same league as the logitech's included sub, at least as far as power. The yamaha sub was more accurate, just not even close to the sheer power of the logitech. I quickly replaced the included sub with a 12" 300w klipsch, a bit overkill for that system tbh, and was very pleased.

I personally think the logitech is a great "party" system. If you want something that plays loud and can shake the room you'll be pleased with them. If you care more about the fidelity of the speakers definitely go with something else. The logitech's are pure brute strength with no finesse whatsoever.

Reply Speakers