Need some advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I find myself in a situation that is odd because it should be something straight forward .
I recently upgraded my system and i am wondering if my speakers are bad or if bad sources are just that much worse for sensitive equipment. Here is what i have:
Marantz SR6006
Mirage OMD-15 L/R
Mirage OMD-C1
Mirage OMD-5 SR/SL RSR/RSL
Now i know that this is not an audiophile system but it seems that it is really sensitive or really accurate or that my speakers are bad. Some sources sound great and some sound awful. Akira on Blu-ray using the 192/24 Japanese TrueHD is pure awesome , my comcast cable makes me think my speakers are blown. When i use the comcast cabke box as the source i get pops and raspy voices like i have a blown voice coil or bad tweeter.

it isnt just the Cable box though, I have some blu-ray disc that dont sound so great either. Granted it is not often that a blu-ray disc will make me question my set but it does happen.

I have used the DVE blu-ray audio test for frequency sweeps and low frequency buzz and rattle test and my speakers have no problems with those, no pops, hissing, crackling, no blown woofer or midrange noise, nothing. I just bought a digital multimeter to measure the ohms and I will try that tomorrow but I am thinking that the system is just showing me how bad some sources are and the deficiency of some some studios remastering.

Can anyone comment on this ? Again I know that this is not a hi-fi ir audiophile system but is it normal to have these awakenings so to speak where each out of pkace sound or bad recording is just that much more noticeable ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 AM

Not quite sure what would be causing that, but as far as the comcast cable box goes make sure to turn off the audio compression. On the cable box I have it was by default on "High" compression and was seriously horrible. After tweaking the settings, and turning off the audio compression, I managed to get it to sound alright.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
The better the speaker, the more revealing it is if your source material is bad. If it sounds fantastic on some material then it tells me you have some poor sources. I would play around with some of the settings from your cable box and see if you can get it to come out better. Is it HDMI form your cable box? If not see if you can use an alternate audio out from it.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #4 of 10 Old 06-03-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 239
You really should use some audio CDs that you are familiar with and of known good sound quality to use for testing purposes.

If the output of your cable box is crappy, that is no doubt a case of "garbage in, garbage out". The content of what it is receiving is going to be highly variable.

One that I use is the RCA recording of Pictures at an Exhibition by the Chicago Symphony. It is available in both CD and SACD and the fidelity and range of tones and dynamics is a great test for a system.

Another one that is very good is Ry Cooder's JAZZ CD. The bass and tuba are very good tests of the bass, and the wide range of instruments will test the accuracy of reproduction nicely.

There is no reason to suspect that your speakers are the problem; those are fairly decent speakers that have had good reviews. Your receiver, however, may be distorting when played loud due to its inadequate (500W) power supply. Your receiver is really inadequate for those OMD15 speakers, which have a low impedance and need more current than the SR6006 can supply.

One thing that would be a huge sonic upgrade for your system would be to get rid of your receiver and get a Cambridge Audio 650R receiver. Its audio quality is amazingly good; far better than any of the Japanese receivers, even at the $3000 price level. Its power supply has a 1500 watt rating, 3 times as large as the SR6006!!, which allows it to put out 100 watts per channel with ALL SEVEN channels driven! For 5.1 operation, it also lets you biwire the front channels for 200 watts per channel.

No other receiver I know of even comes close to matching its power or audio quality. It can drive any speakers made without breaking a sweat.

Read the Home Theater magazine article on it, and you will start to get the picture. It has the most real power of any receiver on the market, and the lowest distortion by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbadhatharry View Post

Hello all. I find myself in a situation that is odd because it should be something straight forward .
I recently upgraded my system and i am wondering if my speakers are bad or if bad sources are just that much worse for sensitive equipment. Here is what i have:
Marantz SR6006
Mirage OMD-15 L/R
Mirage OMD-C1
Mirage OMD-5 SR/SL RSR/RSL
Now i know that this is not an audiophile system but it seems that it is really sensitive or really accurate or that my speakers are bad. Some sources sound great and some sound awful. Akira on Blu-ray using the 192/24 Japanese TrueHD is pure awesome , my comcast cable makes me think my speakers are blown. When i use the comcast cabke box as the source i get pops and raspy voices like i have a blown voice coil or bad tweeter.

it isnt just the Cable box though, I have some blu-ray disc that dont sound so great either. Granted it is not often that a blu-ray disc will make me question my set but it does happen.

I have used the DVE blu-ray audio test for frequency sweeps and low frequency buzz and rattle test and my speakers have no problems with those, no pops, hissing, crackling, no blown woofer or midrange noise, nothing. I just bought a digital multimeter to measure the ohms and I will try that tomorrow but I am thinking that the system is just showing me how bad some sources are and the deficiency of some some studios remastering.

Can anyone comment on this ? Again I know that this is not a hi-fi ir audiophile system but is it normal to have these “awakenings” so to speak where each out of pkace sound or bad recording is just that much more noticeable ?

post #5 of 10 Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have just ordered the 2L Blu-ray which comes with a high quality cd to test the waters. Couple of notes .

I am using a HDMI cable from the comcast box and the compression is off. I get the feeling that either the broadcast signal in the Nothern VA/DC area is just bad or maybe I am getting distortion in the line due to being in an apartment building. I do know that I needed to buy 2 line conditioners to reduce the electrical interference because it was just that bad for my subwoofers.

On the Receiver side of things , the Marantz while Max of 560 watts I know is kind of weak it was the best upgrade I could afford while exchanging my Denon 1912. Since it can do 190 watts at 6 ohm and the only speakers being under powered are the fronts in therory would be buying an emotiva 2 channel amp be a better solution until I can drop the money for a nice receiver/Amplifier ?

Thanks again everyone.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Adding a 2-channel amplifier for the front speaker would be a solution; that would leave the receiver to drive the other 3 channels, which it can do easily.

Another approach you might consider is to buy the Parasound Z Amp, which could be used to drive the two rear channels and is only $339. It will give the rear channels 60 watts each, which should be enough, and leave the receiver to drive only the front 3 channels, which it should have no problem doing.

Quote:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have just ordered the 2L Blu-ray which comes with a high quality cd to test the waters. Couple of notes .

I am using a HDMI cable from the comcast box and the compression is off. I get the feeling that either the broadcast signal in the Nothern VA/DC area is just bad or maybe I am getting distortion in the line due to being in an apartment building. I do know that I needed to buy 2 line conditioners to reduce the electrical interference because it was just that bad for my subwoofers.

On the Receiver side of things , the Marantz while Max of 560 watts I know is kind of weak it was the best upgrade I could afford while exchanging my Denon 1912. Since it can do 190 watts at 6 ohm and the only speakers being under powered are the fronts in therory would be buying an emotiva 2 channel amp be a better solution until I can drop the money for a nice receiver/Amplifier ?

Thanks again everyone.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Thanks again everyone.

Don't waste your money on a separate amp. That's not your problem. If a particular high quality source sounds good and others don't then the source is the problem not the speakers and certainly not the amp.

AND commysissman dumps that same Cambridge diatribe in nearly every thread on these forums. While it may be a good AVR it won't make any audible difference in your case.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I have some sources that I tried out , Pink Floyd dark side of the moon, Norah Jones Come Away With me, both SACD output as PCM ( since the oppo won't out put DSD for some reason, perhaps the Marantz won't take it) @ 88khz. Then an Opera Andrea Botechilli One night in central park @ 48 kHz blu-ray.

Now Pink Floyd sounded fantastic with only a few areas where it sounded like perhaps there was too much going on so it sounded jumbled but there was only 2 instances of this on the whole CD so otherwise I thought it sounded great.

Norah Jones had issues with a lot of hissing and very light snaps which I would most likely chalk up to audio "grain" but during the actual song Come away with me had some other issues, there is a section of Piano play on this track which is kind of a piano solo almost with some other string chords. During this part with my ear up to the tweeter I could hear what was either the noise from the key itself being pressed or some string chords that are being played in harmony with the piano or my tweeters are blown. This was on both L and R.

Andrea Botocheilli is a bit of a difficult one to judge because of the natural vocal chord vibrations and being able to hear the acoustics in the stage but for the most part it sounded good except for a few times where the vocals could have been distorted from the equipment used at the concert or my speakers .

Also when I run test tones the static seems to just be static with your normal static pops and snaps so I wouldn't really know what I should be listening for when using those.

In short , am going crazy and just paranoid , the speakers have just recently finished their break in period and perhaps it is just that I hear a lot more than I am use to?

Dont suppose anyone in the DC area wants to come by and have a listen. Thanks for your advice everyone.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbadhatharry View Post

Also when I run test tones the static seems to just be static with your normal static pops and snaps so I wouldn't really know what I should be listening for when using those.
In short , am going crazy and just paranoid , the speakers have just recently finished their break in period and perhaps it is just that I hear a lot more than I am use to? .

You need to adjust to reality, that all things are not perfect. If this is going to make you crazy or paranoid, then you may need to
take up another hobby. A lot of us prefer speakers, that tend to reveal flaws.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 10 Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate your response. I just hate the fact that now so much stuff sounds like garbage . Heck even in 2010 the Norah Jones cd was rated one of the top 10 SACD and it sounds like garbage to me. Now I understand what you are saying and I guess that it is just something that I will have to adjust to. After listening to the 2L blu-ray it's clear that my speakers are fine. I just wish more movies besides Akira had good Audio Quality . Even Avatar sounded bad during some speaking moments due to shoddy voice recordings . Oh well , I will just have to spend more time reviewing movies on several sights before I buy them .

One a good note based on your response I must have some really nice speakers and equipment .Thanks for the advice everyone .
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page