Dedicated Home Theater Room Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Batosai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all , I consider myself a newbie when it comes to speakers. I am building a dedicated home theater room in my house and was wondering if you guys can give me some advise on the best possible 7.1 speakers I can get for mainly movies , not a music fan. I have so far a 10K - 15K budget on speakers alone. It will be sometime before I buy them , since I am currently building the room , and the house

But I like to read and plan ahead.

As far as home theater room speaker placement , I have figured out what the best configuration for my room. By reading this awesome forum and the THX and dolby guides plus many other resources.

I would appreciate any advice.
Batosai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Are you planning an AT screen with the speakers behind it?
Jay1 is online now  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
josh6113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
10-15 grand just on speakers?...damn that's great...lol....for me I am a big deftech fan....and if I had that budget I would look at there new bipolar speakers....the 8080-st's are down right amazing for movies...and music if you ever listen....they are 3000 for a pair or 1500 a piece....these would be below your budget but damn would you have an impressive theater......my opinion ofcourse....look them up and read the reviews...they speak for themselves...

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
josh6113 is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,389
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
In that price range, the Triad Gold LCR's would be an excellent choice.
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irglcr.html

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,696
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Room size? Screen size? Front row distance? How many rows?
Do you want reference level loudness? or lower?

psgcdn is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Seaton Catalysts and a couple Submersives.
drewTT is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

in that price range, the triad gold lcr's would be an excellent choice.
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irglcr.html

+1

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,326
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

+1

+2
Triad, should be on a short list

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,373
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Seaton Catalysts and a couple Submersives.

Not enough budget for that. I like it, but not enough budget. The Triad Golds would easily fit the budget. If we can help you with suggestions, please contact us. Also how about some information on your room?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,389
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Seaton Catalysts and a couple Submersives.

3 Catalysts and 4 Sparks would be over budget. Throw in a couple of Submersives and it would be one hell of a system though.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
All good suggestions. The Catalysts and SubM HPs were over my budget to. I bought them anyway lmao. I bought 3 12Cs and 2 SubM HPs for right around where you budget is. I'm gonna add sparks for surrounds a bit later and use my current surrounds temporarily. I'm stubborn, I wanted what I wanted lmao.

I hear a lot of great things about the Triads also. The JTR Triple 12s are another option to consider
Blackdevil77 is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jrunr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really wonder how close those JTR Triple 12's would be to the Catalysts if you give them LOT of current/power...
Jrunr is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,389
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

I really wonder how close those JTR Triple 12's would be to the Catalysts if you give them LOT of current/power...

In terms of output, I suspect they would be very close. However, the Cat's have the benefit of DSP tuning in the dedicated amps, performed by Mark Seaton. No matter what amps you drive the JTR's with, you'll never get Mark Seaton in the package. (That is not a slight of the JTR's. I'm sure they're excellent speakers. It's more of a statement about the expertise of MS.)

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Member
 
echen1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vandersteen 2ce's with matching surrounds and VCC-5 Center
echen1024 is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Batosai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys for the helpful advice , some inquired on the room setup in terms of layout and setup. So here it is :

Room size after treatment : 22.5' length by 16' width
Seats rows : two (first row 12.2' , last row 19' from screen)
Screen size : 123" (16:9) , not perforated .
Screen vertical height : 2.95' ( still working on making sure that it is the best height , taking into consideration recliner seats)
Screen type ( planned ) : Stewart filmscreens luxus deluxe / studiotek 130 ( will use eyebolts - stage fly )
Room settings : the room walls will be painted black with four red panels around the room , there will be
black curtains behind the screen that will cover the whole screen wall with red curtains on the sides. The ceiling
will be painted with red and black.
Speaker settings: Dolby Setup with all surround and rear speakers 2' above ear level. The center speaker unfortunately under
screen since I can't put it behind screen . I don't think I have enough space . The other issue is I think that the rear speakers
are very close to the Last row , 2 feet from last row to rear speakers. The speakers are calibrated to the last row middle seat
since it is the best viewing distance for me for the mentioned screen size.

Thanks guys , please keep the good advise coming.
Batosai is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,178
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 389
This would be my choice http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=301-980.

The same clean reference level audio at every seat in the room. Typical speakers are not capable of this feat and this makes these the ideal HT speaker if they can go behind a screen IMO.
Gooddoc is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Check out Danley's SM speaker line. Definitely within your budget.

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Batosai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys , I have read around and it seems like solid suggestions and I like the triad speakers suggestion from what I have read so far.

But I guess since I am a newbie at this I was surprised by many of the suggestions since they were not famous brands I use to see or hear about , maybe because they are not mainstream. I also found that three of the suggested speakers (seaton , JTR , danley) are relatively new companies whose creators used to work at the same company as stated by an AVS member in the mark seaton thread (posted 07-16-09, 09:30 AM ):

"Mark Seaton is one of a handful (the youngest I think) of Midwestern speaker designers coming out of the pro/live audio world who have started their own companies in the last 5 or so years. He and Jeff Permanian (JTR Speakers) had worked with Tom Danley at Servodrive until they all left to forge out on their own"

I have calculated the cost of the mark seaton speakers for a 7.1 system and it was around 19K. But from what I have read it seems like there are not many owners (I maybe wrong) but the ones who do own it seem to really love it. I could not find many reviews on the web , only in a couple of AV forums.

So my question is how many of you guys have actually listened to a mark seaton speaker setup for HT ? and how many of you actually think it is worth the 19K cost ?
Batosai is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Member
 
optoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which speakers have you heard that you have liked/not liked? That may help to narrow down the suggestions. Also, I noticed that you have the room and chairs arranged - have you talked to anyone about room acoutics? ie. Diffusion/absorption/bass traps? Most of the speakers will perform only so well in a room with poor acoustics. There's a lot of info in the dedicated room construction threads. Or contact Dennis Erkine (he has a design consultation service, here http://www.erskine-group.com/ , http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1400898 and others.

As for suggestions, I have heard good things about Procella Audio speakers (but haven't heard them myself).

Good luck with the speaker hunt!

Darren A.
optoguy is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batosai View Post

Thanks guys , I have read around and it seems like solid suggestions and I like the triad speakers suggestion from what I have read so far.

But I guess since I am a newbie at this I was surprised by many of the suggestions since they were not famous brands I use to see or hear about , maybe because they are not mainstream. I also found that three of the suggested speakers (seaton , JTR , danley) are relatively new companies whose creators used to work at the same company as stated by an AVS member in the mark seaton thread (posted 07-16-09, 09:30 AM ):

"Mark Seaton is one of a handful (the youngest I think) of Midwestern speaker designers coming out of the pro/live audio world who have started their own companies in the last 5 or so years. He and Jeff Permanian (JTR Speakers) had worked with Tom Danley at Servodrive until they all left to forge out on their own"

I have calculated the cost of the mark seaton speakers for a 7.1 system and it was around 19K. But from what I have read it seems like there are not many owners (I maybe wrong) but the ones who do own it seem to really love it. I could not find many reviews on the web , only in a couple of AV forums.

So my question is how many of you guys have actually listened to a mark seaton speaker setup for HT ? and how many of you actually think it is worth the 19K cost ?

I'm getting mine this week so I'll let you know then lol.

Check your Inbox, I sent you a PM
Blackdevil77 is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Batosai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by optoguy View Post

Which speakers have you heard that you have liked/not liked? That may help to narrow down the suggestions. Also, I noticed that you have the room and chairs arranged - have you talked to anyone about room acoutics? ie. Diffusion/absorption/bass traps? Most of the speakers will perform only so well in a room with poor acoustics. There's a lot of info in the dedicated room construction threads. Or contact Dennis Erkine (he has a design consultation service, here http://www.erskine-group.com/ , http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1400898 and others.

As for suggestions, I have heard good things about Procella Audio speakers (but haven't heard them myself).

Good luck with the speaker hunt!

Darren A.

Thanks Darren for the advise , I have actually been reading a lot about room acoustics in this forum in the dedicated room thread I have also been reading other resources on the web and planning to start my own dedicated room thread in the construction forums. I have concrete walls and ceilings plus a wall that is made with cement heavy bricks. So they will be really reflective and have to be treated right to increase absorption , I am initially thinking of using Owens Corning 703 to treat the walls , and the floors will be covered with 1.3" carpets , as for the ceiling currently it have a suspended gypsum false ceiling ( around 1.2" thick ) . I have seen also base traps mounted in the corners of the rooms.

But I wanted to know whether to put the OC 703 all around the walls to cover all the wall or should there be only panels positioned in different places all around the room. And if so where should they be positioned . I am not worried about sound escaping outside the room as the mass of my concrete walls and thickness is from 10" to 18" depending on the wall.
Batosai is offline  
Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Batosai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post


I'm getting mine this week so I'll let you know then lol.

Check your Inbox, I sent you a PM

I will be waiting for your reviews .
Batosai is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Gerben Van Duyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batosai View Post

Thanks guys for the helpful advice , some inquired on the room setup in terms of layout and setup. So here it is :

Room size after treatment : 22.5' length by 16' width

Seats rows : two (first row 12.2' , last row 19' from screen)

Screen size : 123" (16:9) , not perforated .

Screen vertical height : 2.95' ( still working on making sure that it is the best height , taking into consideration recliner seats)

Screen type ( planned ) : Stewart filmscreens luxus deluxe / studiotek 130 ( will use eyebolts - stage fly )

Room settings : the room walls will be painted black with four red panels around the room , there will be

black curtains behind the screen that will cover the whole screen wall with red curtains on the sides. The ceiling

will be painted with red and black.

Speaker settings: Dolby Setup with all surround and rear speakers 2' above ear level. The center speaker unfortunately under

screen since I can't put it behind screen . I don't think I have enough space . The other issue is I think that the rear speakers

are very close to the Last row , 2 feet from last row to rear speakers. The speakers are calibrated to the last row middle seat

since it is the best viewing distance for me for the mentioned screen size.
.

Hi, You have a nice room size there that can result in a very nice, very high quality home cinema. Based on the info you provided, my feedback would be:
A) Hire a cinema designer who truly understands room acoustics. You pay a little, you gain a lot. Several of the room layout, screen size and acoustic elements you mention can be improved upon.
B) Use an A/T screen. I prefer the woven screens, such as Seymour Screen Excellence E4K. Not a perf, but a microfibre woven fabric. These can be placed very close in front of the speakers, using up very little space.
C) The Centre should be behind the screen. Biggest benefit possible. Every proper cinema has the speakers behind the screen.

Someone mentioned our Procella loudspeakers. You mentioned not having enough space to put the speakers behind an A/T screen. The recommended Procella loudspeaker to use for your room would be the Procella P8 (THX pm3 Approved), which is less than 8" deep. So with the A/T screen in front if it, you would use about 12" out of your room. Would that work?

Send myself or Chuck Back a PM if you wish to follow up.
Gerben Van Duyl is offline  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Gerben Van Duyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

Several of the room layout, screen size and acoustic elements you mention can be improved upon.
.
I couldn't help myself, I did the sums: for your room size, as per THX Cinema recommendations (You will sit in exactly the same position the Director was sitting), you would need a 150" (12'6") wide image, in Cinemascope. That would also result in a slightly larger 16:9 image as well. This screen size happens to fit beautifully inside the 80% of the Width of your room. Nice.
L/C/R would all be behind the screen, your prime seat at 14' from the screen.
Gerben Van Duyl is offline  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,060
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 404
HI Batosai,
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of home theater. You have a budget and are doing the research that should allow you to do it right. The only aspect I would take issue with is your choice of a non acoustically transparent screen, That is one of the most important factors in getting a real theater experience at home and most realize that over time. Once you have experienced the audio and video presentation with an AT setup, you will never go back.

As for your request for speaker suggestions, you have received some good advice and might have noticed that most folks will recommend their personal brand choice (as fat bastard would say "everyone likes their own brand"). Often, the recommendations here are based upon anecdotal rather than empirical data. The fact of the matter is that with all of the top HT speaker options, the actual performance deltas are quite small. The major audible differences will be due to factors other than the specific speaker brand choice. Among those factors are speaker/listener positioning, the room itself (dimensions and treatments) and quality electronics that allow for shaping the sound to your taste.

The other issue for great HT sound is the LFE system. I say system as while is it part of the speaker system, doing the low frequency right will give you the wow factor that most of us who are addicted to this hobby have come to appreciate. Again, there are many good subwoofer options these days and your purchase decision should be based upon your research and specific requirements. I can't over emphasize the importance of getting out there and actually listening to some installed systems. They will not sound exactly like your system will, but hearing existing installs will at least give you an idea of what is possible and perhaps what to avoid. This forum is full of owner builders who would love to show off their systems and any time you spend in the dedicated HT builders section and then actually hearing some installed systems will be time well spent.

Again, welcome to the hobby and good luck with the project. My build was one of the most enjoyable hobby type experiences I have had. The on-going enjoyment you and your family will get from having a true even better than commercial theater experience at home is the icing on the cake.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off