KEF R700 or Wharfdale Jade 7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a 5.1 system with a budget of around $10k for just the speakers. I am trying to decide between Wharfdale Jade 7 ( and the accompanying center and surround speakers) and KEF R700 ( and supporting speakers from the same series). Where I live both of these have good support and service ( support for companies like PSB is non existent). The room is 15 ft by 21 ft. Height is 10 ft. I have also looked at Signature S8 but it seems to be more suitable for just music and doesn't have as good a dynamism. Which one should I go for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I haven't heard the Wharfdale speakers, but the KEF are excellent.

Dynaudio also makes some excellent speakers in that category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci13960 View Post

I am looking for a 5.1 system with a budget of around $10k for just the speakers. I am trying to decide between Wharfdale Jade 7 ( and the accompanying center and surround speakers) and KEF R700 ( and supporting speakers from the same series). Where I live both of these have good support and service ( support for companies like PSB is non existent). The room is 15 ft by 21 ft. Height is 10 ft. I have also looked at Signature S8 but it seems to be more suitable for just music and doesn't have as good a dynamism. Which one should I go for?

post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 544
I love my wharfedale sapphire setup I purchased about 10 years ago, but at 10k. I'd be looking at purchasing from internet direct companies like hsu, svs, elemental designs, JTR, or Seaton sound.

You'll get a lot more for your money!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I love my wharfedale sapphire setup I purchased about 10 years ago, but do 10k. I'd be looking at purchasing from internet direct companies like hsu, svs, elemental designs, JTR, or Seaton sound.

You'll get a lot more for your money!

Well support is a big issue. Companies like KEF have next day service in my area. Purchasing from internet direct companies would mean a ton on shipping (this particular home is outside USA) and would take forever for support.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci13960 View Post

Heard the Jade series at my local dealer. Had it hooked up to an Arcam AVR and a 100" screen in a fairly large room. A definite audition that you should put on your list.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Both of them are Global brand for reputation speakers, but for myself I will go for Jade series..
post #7 of 7 Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I've heard the $5k Wharfdale Jades and the KEF Q900's in the same dealer's room.

For my ears, it was no contest. The KEFs walked all over the Wharfdales. The midrange was more focused on the KEFs, and they threw a wider and more stable image.

I would expect the KEF R-line to be equal to or better than the their cheaper Q-line.

However, in either case I'd recommend using identical speakers for the front three speakers. "Matching" centers basically never do.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Wharfdale , Wharfdale Jade 7 Tower Speakers
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page