Necessary to upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My HT room dimensions: 12w x 14l x 9h
The actual room is much longer than that (approx 30 ft) but i only measured to my surround speakers.

i CURRENTLY have:
Center: Polk CS1
L/R: Polk Monitor 60
Surr: Polk Monitor 30
Sub: Polk PSW-10

I'm pretty much decided on upgrading the sub to an HSU / Outlaw unit, based on suggestions on my other thread (in the home theater general discussion thread), so I'm looking for suggestions on an upgrade for my speakers (if they even need to be upgraded).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Why do you feel the need to up grade?

A) What more dynamics,clearer sounds, etc and feel the current speaker lacking in this department

B) I have a little extra cash, and these speaker are beginning to look a little long in the tooth.

C) I have this urging uncontrollable force deep in my brain that compels me to through out my current speakers and get new ones for no reasons at all.
And yeah I'm sure the Ms will be pissed to high heaven, but I just don't care!

I only ask so others can make more astute recommendation.

This is where I get off

Good luck.

Djoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
The Polk CS1 center is the weak link here, besides the sub. The CS2 would be a better fit, but if the CS1 works for you, then it isn't necessary to upgrade it--put the money towards a decently large sub instead. On the other hand, if you find that the center is lacking, then maybe you should upgrade it. Try using a phantom center (i.e. temporarily turn off the center speaker in your receiver's settings) to find out whether there is a significant improvement in dynamics or sound quality.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Definitely A.

Re B... the speakers are looking a little long in the tooth, in fact one of the surrounds has a crack on the grill due to when i moved. i dont have extra cash, but if it is worth upgrading i will save up for it.

First of all, I think i need opinions whether this is a decent system. i bought the pieces one by one over the course of a couple of years with absolutely no advice and without shopping around... i just saw the monitor 60s on sale then matched up the whole collection when i had the funds to do so (also getting them on sale / refurbished). price is definitely a constricting point but i would like to stay within $1000 for the center, l/r, and surrounds.

Currently, does it sound great? Yes (of course this is all subjective), i think it does with the exception of the Sub, which is why that will be the first that will be upgraded. But if i had the means to make it sound better, then i would.

thats why i made the title of the thread as it is.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

The Polk CS1 center is the weak link here, besides the sub. The CS2 would be a better fit, but if the CS1 works for you, then it isn't necessary to upgrade it--put the money towards a decently large sub instead. On the other hand, if you find that the center is lacking, then maybe you should upgrade it. Try using a phantom center (i.e. temporarily turn off the center speaker in your receiver's settings) to find out whether there is a significant improvement in dynamics or sound quality.

+1

And going from that Polk PSW-10 to an Outlaw or HSU 12" sub will be almost as big a jump as going from a bicycle to a motorcycle. LOL

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page