Need help buying speakers for my 18X20 family room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

We are upgrading from our Sony CRT TV to a LG-55LM7600 . We wanted to do home theatre setup too. Both me and my husband are very bad in this area.

We went to best buy a lot of times and we liked the pioneer Elite VSX-51 . I wanted the dual channel so that when one is watching the TV I can play music for my daughter in her room. I would like to know if this is a good choice.

Next, with the speaker selection my head is spinnning. After a while my ears feel everything is good

We listened to the Def Tech 5.1 and the Energy book shelves at best buy. We liked the energy. But the lowest was $299 a pair . That would be a lot of money for 5.1 I read about energy take 5.1 at amazon . But I am not sure if those will be good for our room size. I read other posts mentioning Jamo . I don't know where to go and listen to them.

So, any pointers in the right direction would be good. Since our new TV is 3D we might watch movies for a while in summer. After that it would primarily be music. Classical and instrumental mostly . Movie music too. May be we might watch more 3D.

Thanks,
Calif_mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked: 11
So is $299 your budget?
post #3 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

No, We don't want to exceed $700 - $800 dollars including the speakers and subwoofer. We can cry and stretch to $1000 but if I can get a good quality in our budget that would be great.
post #4 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

CORRECTION : My budget includes speakers, subwoofer and receiver
post #5 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I would start with something along THESE They're are quite piratical, and inexpensive for what they do, and compare to other speaker system out there, you'll still have a little cash left over for a AVR like Denon, or Onkyo which will give you plenty of bang for your buck.

Good luck

DJoel
post #6 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
You need to get 5 of the Infinity P153 speakers @ $50 each = $250 delivered.

Get a Dayton 12" subwoofer for $166 delivered.

Get a Harman Kardon AVR 2600 for $385 delivered.

3D video & Multiroom Audio:

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...PID=AVR%202600
post #7 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

3D video & Multiroom Audio:

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...PID=AVR%202600

I would even try to swing a second sub, for a room that size, for a more engaging movie watching experience.

Djoel
post #8 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calif_mom View Post

Hi

We are upgrading from our Sony CRT TV to a LG-55LM7600 . We wanted to do home theatre setup too. Both me and my husband are very bad in this area.

We went to best buy a lot of times and we liked the pioneer Elite VSX-51 . I wanted the dual channel so that when one is watching the TV I can play music for my daughter in her room. I would like to know if this is a good choice.

Next, with the speaker selection my head is spinnning. After a while my ears feel everything is good

We listened to the Def Tech 5.1 and the Energy book shelves at best buy. We liked the energy. But the lowest was $299 a pair . That would be a lot of money for 5.1 I read about energy take 5.1 at amazon . But I am not sure if those will be good for our room size. I read other posts mentioning Jamo . I don't know where to go and listen to them.

So, any pointers in the right direction would be good. Since our new TV is 3D we might watch movies for a while in summer. After that it would primarily be music. Classical and instrumental mostly . Movie music too. May be we might watch more 3D.

Thanks,
Calif_mom

Best buy carries the Energy CF series and that is what I bought when I upgraded last summer. If you like the Energy speakers, I suggest going to vanns.com. They carry the CFs along with other product lines from Energy that may be cheaper.

After going to vanns website over Memorial Day weekend I couldn't pass up the great deals for the Energy RC line of speakers. They have gone back up since but they may have another sale, just need to have good timing with that.

I agree that the Hsu setup is a good way to go. If you are in the orange county, CA area they have a showroom for customers, at least I think that is where it is. I have not heard the speakers but I do have a Hsu subwoofer and it is pretty amazing.
post #9 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I would even try to swing a second sub, for a room that size, for a more engaging movie watching experience.

Djoel

Well, her (feels weird since I usually say "his") Max budget us only $800.

I have a room exactly that size 18' x 20' family room. I'm using a single 12" PL200 sub. It's enough. Won't win any awards or bragging rights, but will shake the walls like crazy.

I'm guessing the Dayton 12" sub is similar to the PL200.
post #10 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Are the infinity better than the Energy speakers for my room?

What about Jamo? I am curious about them. Any place where I can listen to them.
post #11 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I missed the other posts. I can push my budget a bit more but not very much. We do have a record of not upgrading frequently What we buy now will stay longer. Any inputs on the reciever Pioneer VSX-51 . I know I would use the second zone in the reciever. I will look into the HSU too.

Thanks
post #12 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Another thought - Should I just start with a couple of good speakers and sub woofer and upgrade later ( in the next couple of years )?
post #13 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Yes, a 2.1 or 3.1, with the purchase of surrounds later, will help your budget a bit.
If you were to spend 400 on a good sub and 200-250 each on some solid bookshelves...you could get tower/center to move upfront in "phase 2"...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #14 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another thought - Should I just start with a couple of good speakers and sub woofer and upgrade later ( in the next couple of years )?

Yes indeed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Yes, a 2.1 or 3.1, with the purchase of surrounds later, will help your budget a bit.
If you were to spend 400 on a good sub and 200-250 each on some solid bookshelves...you could get tower/center to move upfront in "phase 2"...

1+

This great advice, I would definitely do 3.1, and move the fronts to the rears.

Djoel
post #15 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, her (feels weird since I usually say "his") Max budget us only $800.

I have a room exactly that size 18' x 20' family room. I'm using a single 12" PL200 sub. It's enough. Won't win any awards or bragging rights, but will shake the walls like crazy.

I'm guessing the Dayton 12" sub is similar to the PL200.

I'm pretty sure she'll say our system Most of us guys say, My system

DJoel
post #16 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 878
fwiw, in a room your size and your budget starting out with 2.0 or 2.1 and adding the rest of the system piece by piece would be best way to go to get great overall sound for tv and music. "way" better than 5.1 htib sets just a suggestion would be a pair of energy rc-10 bookshelves for $250 at vanns and the premier acoustics pa150 sub for $400 at acousticsound designs and a denon avr 1612 for $170 at accessories4less its a manufactures refurb. at an authorized dealer and i know its not 2 zone but you can pick up a good reciever pretty cheap for daughters room

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #17 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:

That would be very beneficial for you at the start given your budget, that way you can get great speakers and add more to 5.1 as someone already mentioned. A solid 2.1 or 3.1 is a good way to start. Someone mentioned the energy rc10s, I agree the rc 10s are great speakers for front L & R and they are less than the RCs that best buy carries. I am an energy fan so I know the sound...as far as the infinities, I haven't heard them but at least on paper they are comparable to the energies.
post #18 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I read about energy take 5.1 at amazon.

But I am not sure if those will be good for our room size.

I think they're too small--not that they wouldn't work, but I think it is possible to assemble a more satisfying system for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I would start with something along THESE They're are quite piratical, and inexpensive for what they do, and compare to other speaker system out there, you'll still have a little cash left over for a AVR like Denon, or Onkyo which will give you plenty of bang for your buck.

I realize that you're on a different track now regarding recommendations, but I still want to point out that the VT-12 is just four tiny Bose-like satellites and a slightly better center speaker that helps make up for some of their deficiencies (with some additional compromises). Even the center speaker doesn't have a real tweeter, though--just the same (or similar) 2.5" mid-high driver that the satellites use. Maybe it sounds better than I'm imagining, but there are reasons for my doubts.

Quote:

That's a very good system for the price, although what I would do is substitute the following items for their counterparts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882269026
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Total: only $730, with a higher-quality subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiTcHaSuM View Post

I agree that the Hsu setup is a good way to go. If you are in the orange county, CA area they have a showroom for customers, at least I think that is where it is.

HSU Research is located in Anaheim:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/contact.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiTcHaSuM View Post

I have not heard the speakers but I do have a Hsu subwoofer and it is pretty amazing.

HSU subwoofers are terrific in every way, and their larger speakers are very good values, but I have serious doubts about the VT-12 (part of the Performance 2 package) specifically.

Quote:

Are the infinity better than the Energy speakers for my room?

They're better than the Take 5.1 Classic, most definitely. I would seriously recommend the Infinity system (with my modifications) unless you'd prefer to start with a 2.1 system and build it up over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, in a room your size and your budget starting out with 2.0 or 2.1 and adding the rest of the system piece by piece would be best way to go to get great overall sound for tv and music. "way" better than 5.1 htib sets just a suggestion would be a pair of energy rc-10 bookshelves for $250 at vanns and the premier acoustics pa150 sub for $400 at acousticsound designs

That's not a bad idea in general, but I'd caution against the RC-10 (or any speaker from a discontinued series) because it may be difficult to find matching speakers in the future (unless there are millions of them stored in warehouses or Energy is still secretly making more of them ). They are nice speakers, though, for a heavily discounted price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

and a denon avr 1612 for $170 at accessories4less its a manufactures refurb. at an authorized dealer and i know its not 2 zone but you can pick up a good reciever pretty cheap for daughters room

The AVR-1712 has two zones:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

So does the AVR-791, for that matter, but for $10 more, eh, why not step up to MultiEQ XT?
post #19 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

So here are the options that I got from your replies

1) Infinity P 153 speakers , Energy S10.3 subwoofer with Denon AVR 1712 or AVR 791 receiver.

2) 2.1 system with a Denon AVR 1712 or AVR 791 receiver, Energy S10.3 subwoofer. But what two speakers?

Where can I hear the infinity speakers? I live in northern california. Are there any other stores other than best buy to hear the speakers?
post #20 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

Thank you.

So here are the options that I got from your replies

1) Infinity P 153 speakers , Energy S10.3 subwoofer with Denon AVR 1712 or AVR 791 receiver.

2) 2.1 system with a Denon AVR 1712 or AVR 791 receiver, Energy S10.3 subwoofer. But what two speakers?

Where can I hear the infinity speakers? I live in northern california. Are there any other stores other than best buy to hear the speakers?

Do you have a Fry's in NorCal? They carry the Infinity line. They're on closeout down here, so you might find them at good prices - or they might be gone by now!

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #21 of 63 Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

Boston A250 - and they have a black grill.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...A-White/1.html

It is not easy to find places to audition - you can always buy speakers
from a place that has a 30 day return policy. You can buy bookshelves
to test out the sound signature, of a product that you are interested in.
http://www.onecall.com/product/Bosto...ker/_/R-115578

I own the Denon 791, it is good

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #22 of 63 Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

I was reading the forum and saw the pioneer speakers reviews.

I would like help in selecting from my options below. I would really like to BUY now.

1) Pioneer FS-51, C21 and BS-21

or

2) Infinity P363, P 153, PC 251 or PC 351.

With regards to infinity I have no idea. Or the P363 too big for my 18 X 20 room?

I am taking your advice on the subwoofer Energy S10.3

I have narrowed down the recievers to the following based on reviews.
I heard the VSX - 51 in best buy. I am hearing good things about VSX 1021
and the other choice Denon AVR 2112 or AVR 1912.
I am clueless on the recievers except that I will use Airplay and the second zone.

Please help.

Thanks
post #23 of 63 Old 06-10-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif_mom View Post

I was reading the forum and saw the pioneer speakers reviews.
I would like help in selecting from my options below. I would really like to BUY now.
1) Pioneer FS-51, C21 and BS-21
or
2) Infinity P363, P 153, PC 251 or PC 351.
With regards to infinity I have no idea. Or the P363 too big for my 18 X 20 room?
I am taking your advice on the subwoofer Energy S10.3
I have narrowed down the recievers to the following based on reviews.
I heard the VSX - 51 in best buy. I am hearing good things about VSX 1021
and the other choice Denon AVR 2112 or AVR 1912.
I am clueless on the recievers except that I will use Airplay and the second zone.

The Infinity is not too big for your room. The speaker choice is yours to make.
The Infinity will sound a little more lively and forward. The Pioneer will sound
more polite and balanced.

The Denons do a good job, with efficient power handling in surround mode.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #24 of 63 Old 06-10-2012, 08:36 PM

I've been in the same position as you, not sure what system to get, while trying to keep a budget. That kind of went away when I purchased the Denon 2312 tonight for under $500 through helpful advice from comments received on AVS. The speakers have been a tough one for me, but it's reassuring to see the P153's being suggested. I just wonder with them, are they too large to hang on a wall? Does anyone have this same speaker setup that could give their opinion. Maybe this will help calif_mom also.

My room is 12x15
post #25 of 63 Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

At last I went bought the P363 today. The speakers are HUGE. We wanted to try it out and so bought a Denon AVR 1913 just to test as that
was the only one available in the store. I heard that I need a higher end AVR to power my P363. The power on this is 6 ohms where as the
speaker spec says it needs 8 ohms. Any other suggestion on this would be helpful. I havent bought the center and subwoofer.
Will the energy S10.3 still be okay for this setup? I am planning to buy the PC250 center speaker to go along with it.

We listened to the speakers and I liked the crisp sound for the instrumentals. With the voice, it could be better not sure
if it is because I dont' have the center speaker.

knottenuff - Can I ask where you bought the Denon 2312 under 500? seems to be a good deal

Thanks
post #26 of 63 Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:

At last I went bought the P363 today. The speakers are HUGE. We wanted to try it out and so bought a Denon AVR 1913 just to test as that
was the only one available in the store. I heard that I need a higher end AVR to power my P363. The power on this is 6 ohms where as the
speaker spec says it needs 8 ohms. Any other suggestion on this would be helpful. I havent bought the center and subwoofer.
Will the energy S10.3 still be okay for this setup? I am planning to buy the PC250 center speaker to go along with it.
We listened to the speakers and I liked the crisp sound for the instrumentals. With the voice, it could be better not sure
knottenuff - Can I ask where you bought the Denon 2312 under 500? seems to be a good deal
Thanks

You have to call J&R's and talk with a sales rep. The online price is higher than what they'll sale it for.

http://www.jr.com/
post #27 of 63 Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:

Thanks

You have the Ohm thing backward. Any receiver can drive the Infinity speakers. Whoever told you you need a higher end one doesn't know what they are talking about. It's the LOW impedance (lower ohm) speakers that need a higher end receiver. If the Infinity speakers were 4 ohm, I would say go for a better receiver.

If you can stretch for the Primus c351 center, I would go for it. It will be more powerful than the c250, and well worth the upgrade in my opinion. The Primus mid-range drivers are excellent.
post #28 of 63 Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks shadyJ. I dont think I have the budget now to go for the sorround bookshelves p 153. My new TV stand cant hold the c351. I think it is $50 more. I will measure tomorrow and check it.
So, what recievers can i go in denon ?
post #29 of 63 Old 06-11-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Denon is a highly regarded brand but I don't know much about specific models, sorry. It isn't a big deal to skip the surrounds, as they are by far the least important channels of sound. The front left/right is the most important, followed arguably by the subwoofer. The Infinity Primus p363 is a great choice. The center is important too if you watch a lot of movies.
post #30 of 63 Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

I used to drive my P362 in my 18' x 20' family room with the cheap Denon 391. Works just fine.

Keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse. Last week, they had a Denon 3312 for $461! That lasted about 3 hours! biggrin.gif

Now the Denon 2312 is $538.

Amazon Warehouse sells open-box items, NOT REFURBISHED.

I don't trust any refurbished AVR, which means it was DEFECTIVE and then REPAIRED.

And just like the open-box items at Best Buy, these Denon come with the same new Denon warranty. I asked Denon myself and I've bought a few open box Denon AVRs from Amazon Warehouse.

Just make sure the item is from Amazon Warehouse, not from other 3rd party stores on Amazon.

The Denon 2112 is $399, which is also Multi-Zone & Network.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page