Left Center Right recommendations for home theater, budget ~$3000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, another which speakers should I get thread.

My situation: 90% HT, 5% games, 5% music. My room is ~3200 cubic feet, and we sit back from the TV ~10 feet. I currently have KEF Q30 L/R, KEF Model 100 center, Axiom QS8 surrounds, and an SVS PB12-Plus subwoofer (LOVE this subwoofer by the way...).

Our main problem is with difficulty hearing dialogue with movies. So much so that my wife asked about upgrading the center channel Score! So, my main focus is on the center, but of course I need good a good matching left and right . Budget is ~$3000.

I've been looking at (note: I really have had a hard time finding detailed reviews of center speakers... most focus on the L/R):

1) Ascend Sierra Tower ($2100/pair) with matching Ascend Sierra Tower Center (~$1000). The issue is the Sierra Tower Center height (11") is probably too tall... I'll have to think about it.

2) Salk SongTower QWT ($2000/pair) with matching Salk SongCenter ($800). Just haven't found any reviews on the Salk SongCenter, plus it's an MTM design.

3) Do I even need towers when I have a good subwoofer? Was also considering Ascend Sierra-1 with NrT upgrade ($1050/pair) on speaker stands with matching Sierra-1 Center with NrT upgrade ($600). This would save me some money as well.

4) KEF Q900 ($1800 for a pair) with center KEF q600c ($600). A bit hesitant with this because I currently have KEFs which give me not the best dialogue (of course the ones I own are some 20 years old... so not a fair comparison).

What are your thoughts on these, and any other better suggestions? Again, my focus is on dialogue for home theater (of course the rest of it is important as well...), and yet I had a tough time finding any glowing reviews on any center channel speakers... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I got my whole setup excluding subs for around that.

in my sig
post #3 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'd go with the Salks or Ascends over the Kefs based on your need for the clearest dialog. I think the Q900s are more sensitive, but I didn't think they were in the same league as the other two in the midrange department. Kef's higher up series are very nice, though.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #4 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

3) Do I even need towers when I have a good subwoofer?

I don't think so. My speakers are only rated down to 72 hz +/-3 and they sound fantastic paired with my Submersives. I've owned Axiom towers, Magnepans, and I greatly prefer my current sound with non-towers. All up front speakers match and the center sounds so good. This is the first set-up where I haven't had to bump up the center around 3db to hear the dialogue more clearly.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
deftech 8060-st towers...plus 8060-cs center channel......2700 plus tax

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...ctid=CS-8060HD

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...ctid=BP-8060ST

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #6 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

I got my whole setup excluding subs for around that.

in my sig

WOWWOW, I assumed it was at least double that..

DJoel
post #7 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
In was sort of in your shoes a year ago, and came close to getting the Q900, which are great speakers, but they actually go so low that I decided they would be best used with no subwoofer, and I preferred to go with a subwoofer.

I pretty much listened to everything that I could find for $2200 or less, and the PSB Image T6 was the clear winner for the most natural and clear sound IMO. The Dynaudio Excite X32 might be a little better, but they are around $3000 per pair, and that was over budget.

Anyway, my final choice was the PSB Image T6 speakers, which I think give a clearer better articulated sound than any of the 10 or so other speakers I listened to in the shopping process. They really are amazing speakers, especially for only $1300.

I would advise you to get the Image T6 speakers with the PSB Image C5 center speaker. I think you will solve your problem with these speakers. You could also pick up a pair of the PSB Image B4 speakers for only $330, and the total would only be just over $2000. That will be an excellent system.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:

4) KEF Q900 ($1800 for a pair) with center KEF q600c ($600). A bit hesitant with this because I currently have KEFs which give me not the best dialogue (of course the ones I own are some 20 years old... so not a fair comparison).

What are your thoughts on these

Things are different now with KEF - they do a good job with voicing.
You have good options on your list - good luck with your choice.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
While I preferred the PSB speakers, KEF was certainly the runner-up for me. Since you have a good subwoofer, however, I would suggest that the Q500 would actually blend better with the subwoofer and give a bit better midrange articulation, and of course they are a bit less money than the Q900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Things are different now with KEF - they do a good job with voicing.
You have good options on your list - good luck with your choice.

post #10 of 33 Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

My situation: 90% HT, 5% games, 5% music. My room is ~3200 cubic feet, and we sit back from the TV ~10 feet. I currently have KEF Q30 L/R, KEF Model 100 center, Axiom QS8 surrounds, and an SVS PB12-Plus subwoofer (LOVE this subwoofer by the way...).

Our main problem is with difficulty hearing dialogue with movies. So much so that my wife asked about upgrading the center channel Score! So, my main focus is on the center, but of course I need good a good matching left and right . Budget is ~$3000.

I've been looking at (note: I really have had a hard time finding detailed reviews of center speakers... most focus on the L/R):

1) Ascend Sierra Tower ($2100/pair) with matching Ascend Sierra Tower Center (~$1000). The issue is the Sierra Tower Center height (11") is probably too tall... I'll have to think about it.

2) Salk SongTower QWT ($2000/pair) with matching Salk SongCenter ($800). Just haven't found any reviews on the Salk SongCenter, plus it's an MTM design.

3) Do I even need towers when I have a good subwoofer? Was also considering Ascend Sierra-1 with NrT upgrade ($1050/pair) on speaker stands with matching Sierra-1 Center with NrT upgrade ($600). This would save me some money as well.

What are your thoughts on these, and any other better suggestions? Again, my focus is on dialogue for home theater (of course the rest of it is important as well...), and yet I had a tough time finding any glowing reviews on any center channel speakers... Thanks!

How big is your room?

How far away do you sit?

Clear dialogue doesnt lend itself to any of the speakers you listed, look for high efficiency speakers.
post #11 of 33 Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Maybe you need AVR with Dolby volume processing. It tends to make vocals clearer at lower volumes.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 AM

I was also considering upgrading my center so I could understand dialogue better. I ended up replacing my front 3 speakers with high-efficiency speakers and that fixed the issue completely. Dialogue is clear without having to bump up the level for the center.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For about $1200 you might consider 3 CHT SHO10s for L/C/R. They are very efficient, and crossed over at 80hZ would match up well with your woofer.

Alan
post #14 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
JTR Triple 8s excel at dialog intelligibility and more. They are around your price range too (new).

If you are not against buying used, I’d also recommend checking Audiogon.com as they currently have some used Triad InRoom Gold LCRs that’s around your price range and they also excel at dialog intelligibility and more.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The OP hasn't been in here since he started this thread,that's kind of odd. Martin Logan Electrostat ESL' are in his price range also. I have that setup and it sounds incredible. No issues with dialog either. Maybe he just needs to bump up the volume level on the center channel in the setup on his receiver..
post #16 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

The OP hasn't been in here since he started this thread,that's kind of odd. Martin Logan Electrostat ESL' are in his price range also. I have that setup and it sounds incredible. No issues with dialog either. Maybe he just needs to bump up the volume level on the center channel in the setup on his receiver..

Sorry, I actually started the thread while my wife was laboring... got a bit tied up with the delivery and subsequent lack of sleep... but I really thank everyone who's written back. What kind of center speaker do you have? I didn't want to bump up the volume on the center channel because that might affect transitioning across the front speakers.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I don't think so. My speakers are only rated down to 72 hz +/-3 and they sound fantastic paired with my Submersives. I've owned Axiom towers, Magnepans, and I greatly prefer my current sound with non-towers. All up front speakers match and the center sounds so good. This is the first set-up where I haven't had to bump up the center around 3db to hear the dialogue more clearly.

That's exactly what I'm looking for... not to have to bump up the center to hear dialogue. What is the setup you have currently? It might have been in your sig in the old forum, but the new one doesn't show it.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

In was sort of in your shoes a year ago, and came close to getting the Q900, which are great speakers, but they actually go so low that I decided they would be best used with no subwoofer, and I preferred to go with a subwoofer.

I pretty much listened to everything that I could find for $2200 or less, and the PSB Image T6 was the clear winner for the most natural and clear sound IMO. The Dynaudio Excite X32 might be a little better, but they are around $3000 per pair, and that was over budget.

Anyway, my final choice was the PSB Image T6 speakers, which I think give a clearer better articulated sound than any of the 10 or so other speakers I listened to in the shopping process. They really are amazing speakers, especially for only $1300.

I would advise you to get the Image T6 speakers with the PSB Image C5 center speaker. I think you will solve your problem with these speakers. You could also pick up a pair of the PSB Image B4 speakers for only $330, and the total would only be just over $2000. That will be an excellent system.

How was the C5 in terms of dialogue? Seems like the T6 towers perform well with vocals, but I'll be using the center for movies and was wondering how that performed with dialogue
post #19 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

How big is your room?

How far away do you sit?

Clear dialogue doesnt lend itself to any of the speakers you listed, look for high efficiency speakers.

My room is 15' front to back, 18' side to side, and 10' high (so 2700 cubic feet... was wrong on my initial estimate). I sit ~10 feet away from the front wall where the TV is.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what speakers are high efficient and what are not. Do you have any in mind that may fit my situation? Especially looking for a good center. The center probably has to be horizontal as it has to fit under the TV.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

That's exactly what I'm looking for... not to have to bump up the center to hear dialogue. What is the setup you have currently? It might have been in your sig in the old forum, but the new one doesn't show it.

I have Elemental Designs eD 12's from their cinema line. Currently eD is getting hammered for customer service issues, but my experience was great. I received 5 speakers in 2 weeks and my cc wasn't charged until they shipped.

If you click on the link in my signature you can see what they look like on top of my Seaton Submersive HP's. The center is custom, it's the same speaker as the left and right mains and looks a little unorthodox but sounds fantastic. If you order 3 or more speakers at a time you get a 15% discount. I couldn't be happier and didn't have to spend a fortune.
post #21 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmand34 View Post

I was also considering upgrading my center so I could understand dialogue better. I ended up replacing my front 3 speakers with high-efficiency speakers and that fixed the issue completely. Dialogue is clear without having to bump up the level for the center.

What is your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

JTR Triple 8s excel at dialog intelligibility and more. They are around your price range too (new).
If you are not against buying used, I’d also recommend checking Audiogon.com as they currently have some used Triad InRoom Gold LCRs that’s around your price range and they also excel at dialog intelligibility and more.

Does the JTR make a matching center channel? Or would you put a Triple 8 on its side as a center (would probably be too high at 12.25"). Those Triad speakers look good though... may have to consider used...
post #22 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM

Liked: 10
I like my Song Towers and Song Center. I did get the center front-ported since it resides in an entertainment cabinet.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

What is your setup?
Does the JTR make a matching center channel? Or would you put a Triple 8 on its side as a center (would probably be too high at 12.25"). Those Triad speakers look good though... may have to consider used...

Most like using LCR type speakers vertically when behind an AT screen but you can use the JTRs as a horizontal center. I had mine set up horizontally and never noticed an issue. There is a sealed version of the JTR T8s that is only ~9.7 inches high. I attached the link below. The vented T8s are 12.25''

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/triple-8ht-lp/

The Triads Gold Center (which is what I have now) is specifically designed for horizontal placement.
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irgctr.html

The Triad Gold Center is 10.75'' in height.
post #24 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

I use the Electromotion EM C2.. Its crystal clear and I have no issues with volume,in fact audyssey has it tuned down from the fronts.. weird,but its perfect. wink.gif
post #25 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:

What is your setup?

eD[C]12 . I think those, SHO-10 or JTR T8 would suite your needs quite well.
post #26 of 33 Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

OneCall price, no shipping, no sales tax:
2xQ900 = 1358
1xQ600 = 450
2xQ100 = 375

for $2600 you should be able to go R500s + R200C

But I think for 90% HT you might like HT specialized speakers better
post #27 of 33 Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

The JTR uses a coaxial main driver, so it doesn't really matter if it's vertical or horizontal, you probably won't hear any difference. The Triads are very good speakers as well. You couldn't really go wrong with either of them.
post #28 of 33 Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Nice site they have,no pics.. There are so many other speakers out there,why would you go with these?
post #29 of 33 Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveletnik View Post

OneCall price, no shipping, no sales tax:
2xQ900 = 1358
1xQ600 = 450
2xQ100 = 375
for $2600 you should be able to go R500s + R200C
But I think for 90% HT you might like HT specialized speakers better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Nice site they have,no pics.. There are so many other speakers out there,why would you go with these?

Well, this thread has really changed my idea of what kind of speakers to go for. I really didn't know they had HT specialized speakers, but that seems to be the right direction to go. I'm assuming the JTR's, Triad's, ed12's, and SHO-10's are more HT oriented? And if you guys have any other recs for HT specialized speakers in my price range (~$3000 for left, center, right), please let me know. Thanks!
post #30 of 33 Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Most like using LCR type speakers vertically when behind an AT screen but you can use the JTRs as a horizontal center. I had mine set up horizontally and never noticed an issue. There is a sealed version of the JTR T8s that is only ~9.7 inches high. I attached the link below. The vented T8s are 12.25''
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/triple-8ht-lp/
The Triads Gold Center (which is what I have now) is specifically designed for horizontal placement.
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irgctr.html
The Triad Gold Center is 10.75'' in height.

So for HT, if you were to do the sealed JTR T8 horizontally as a center, would it be better to stay with sealed JTR T8 as left and right or would ported JTR T8 sound better for L and R?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page