Timbre match for Onkyo HT-S6100 Speakers (P163s?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi! So I've narrowed down my choice of speakers to a select few and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out based on knowledge or experience which ones would best fit into the current sound in my 7.1 Onkyo setup with an altered receiver to the Onkyo TX-NR708 and an added subwoofer (the Polk Audio PSW505). I'm planning on replacing the front L&R speakers and using the replaced Onkyo speakers as front wides or highs. In other words, I'm planning on making it into a 9.2 system using Audyssey DSX.

Mainly, I'm interested if the Infinity Primus P163 speakers would work for this case. Otherwise, the options I have in mind are the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE speakers, the PSB Alpha B1 speakers, and the Paradigm Atom v.6 speakers. If any of these are mainly near-field monitors(which I'm not sure about), obviously they can instantly be excluded, so if that's the case, please inform me, lol.

I appreciate any advice/information provided. Thanks in advance!

PS- If anyone can tell me whether the Alphas or the Atoms are better for portable indoor use, powered by the Dayton DTA-100a amp, that would also be appreciated XD. If any other speakers within a similar price range come to mind as better options FOR EITHER CASE, don't hesitate to suggest them. The main intent in both cases I guess would be music. Thanks again! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Read post #3, from the link
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163340

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Read post #3, from the link
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163340

Lol, well I understand that, believe me. Better than most. I still figured I'd give it a shot. If not, I guess I'll leave things the way they are.

Really I was just hoping I could get the Infinity speakers - hoping that wouldn't screw up the balance so much that the Audyssey MultEQ calibration wouldn't really even help to enough of an extent, or in other words, making things worse, there being too much of a tradeoff...

Maybe there are speakers better than these Onkyo ones for which replacing the fronts might be worth the trade off, and maybe somebody has a clue as to what those may be.