Vandersteen 2Ce ( not signature) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Is there anyone experienced with these speakers? I have one local selling with stands and bi-amp wires included. He says the speakers are 8 years old. But there is no way for
me to confirm that. From my brief search in the forums, these seem to be highly regarded. I'm ready to meet with the guy and do an audition.
What would I be expected to pay for a pair in good condition?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I had Vandersteen Model 2 speakers for a few years, and currently have the 3A at one of my homes. They are really excellent speakers; among the very best money can buy.

According to an article a few years ago in Stereophile, the model 2 is the best-selling hi-end speaker of all time. It has been in production, with several incremental ugrades, since the 1970s.

I think the current price on the 2Ce is $2300, so a nice used set might go for about half of that.

You can call the Vandersteen factory in California at 559-582-0324 and give them the serial numbers and they can tell you the month and year of manufacture, and any repair or upgrade history on them. All Vandersteen speakers are made in Hanford, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj75 View Post

Hello. Is there anyone experienced with these speakers? I have one local selling with stands and bi-amp wires included. He says the speakers are 8 years old. But there is no way for
me to confirm that. From my brief search in the forums, these seem to be highly regarded. I'm ready to meet with the guy and do an audition.
What would I be expected to pay for a pair in good condition?
Thanks.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-07-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much. Very helpful. I'm on my way to do an audition. I know it might sound different once I get it home. But I think
its worth the try.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hold on there. The last response was waaaaaay off base. You specifically said "not" signature. The Model 2CE is an older Vandy that has been out of production for quite a while. The Signature line took their place as you probaly aleady know. The old model 2CE is actually a pretty good speaker. Check a thread running right now titled "Vandersteen Wow" It was started years ago by me. It is a long thread that is still alive and doing well. http://www.avsforum.com/t/692681/vandersteen-wow You will get my experiences as well as a lot of other Vandy owners opinions as well. I don't have them anymore but they are great speakers for both music and HT. They are rather hard to drive though so you might want to consider that if your room is large or you like your music loud. In that case you'll need some good amplification. The value of a good pair of used Vandersteen Model 2Ce speakers is around $300-$350. If you pay more you are getting taken advantage of. The suggestion that they were worth half of $2,300 is not accurate. I bought mine for $275 delivered but as I said $300-$350 is fair and reasonible.

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures ...
post #5 of 8 Old 06-07-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I had Vandersteen Model 2 speakers for a few years, and currently have the 3A at one of my homes. They are really excellent speakers; among the very best money can buy.
According to an article a few years ago in Stereophile, the model 2 is the best-selling hi-end speaker of all time. It has been in production, with several incremental ugrades, since the 1970s.
I think the current price on the 2Ce is $2300, so a nice used set might go for about half of that.
You can call the Vandersteen factory in California at 559-582-0324 and give them the serial numbers and they can tell you the month and year of manufacture, and any repair or upgrade history on them. All Vandersteen speakers are made in Hanford, CA.
Had 2CE's about 8 years ago. I really enjoyed them. They do need power. At the time I had them hooked up to a Rotel 991 a 200wpc amp, Just make sure you give them some room. Try to keep them a few feet away from the side walls and a couple of feet from the back wall. That will give you a very nice sounstage. Good luck w/your purchase.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 239
By the way, older versions of the Model 2 can usually be upgraded to the current configuration if you ship them to the factory. That is
one nice thing about Vandersteen; they are very helpful in that regard.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 PM

I'm pretty sure the last upgrade to the 2Ce Sig ii moved it past the older speakers capabilities so you can no longer upgrade the old speakers to the 2Ce Sig ii level

Check the page here - http://www.vandersteen.com/vandersteen_004.htm

But to be honest - I just bought a pair of 2Ce and they are pretty potent speakers themselves!
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

By the way, older versions of the Model 2 can usually be upgraded to the current configuration if you ship them to the factory. That is
one nice thing about Vandersteen; they are very helpful in that regard.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Congrats on the purchase. I still have great memories of my 2CE's. Vandys have always been one of the great bargins in audio. Just go out and buy lots of music.smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page