80hz or 60hz - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterGuy74 View Post

Why would I want to pay $10,000 for a pair of [passive] speakers (L and R) that has/have (4) 6.5" woofers...
You probably wouldn't if you have any common sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterGuy74 View Post

....that go down to 40 Hz - but have the crossover set to 80 Hz?
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use those 4 woofers in each speaker to their potential and set the crossover to 60 Hz - if not a little lower confused.gif
You can get a tweeter to "go down to" 100hz. The question is, would you want to? At what SPL and producing how much distortion?
Let's take a look at a speaker with two 6.5" woofers that ostensibly "goes down to" 32hz per the manufacturer (these are the most popular and highest rated speaker on the streets of Baghdad and perhaps the greatest invention of the infidels).
At a fairly high..but nowhere near "reference" drive level and bandwidth limited (50hz-10k):
We see a significant rise in distortion below 80hz.
Increase the drive level further:
And the low end distortion rises correspondingly.

Now the perceptual effect of this distortion, up to a point, might be added "fullness" rather than outright "noise" or strained sound distortion, but it is clearly there...and an excellent reason NOT to high pass at a low 40hz, or even 60hz if you intend to drive them to anywhere near "reference" levels...which many often do for HT. There is a very good reason why the typical "80hz" recommendation is made.
Unless one is the sadly misinformed minister of disinformation. Often dispensing "knowledge" that can lead to destructive effects on other peoples systems...paid for by them.

cheers,

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Speakers have been successfully used full range for decades, long before "subwoofers" became a household word. From small table radios with 3" drivers to JBLs and Klipschs with 12" and 15" woofers, the majority of which I am sure survived for years without destruction or producing audible sonic aberrations when used within their design envelope, and I am completely comfortable posting my own opinions on them, along with facts based on actual personal experience.

Subs aren't perfect either, and produce their own set of distortions when THEY are pushed too hard.

BTW I haven't noticed anyone here, including myself, to be FORCING anyone to set their system up in XYZ manner. As far as my own posts, they are liberally sprinkled with lots of "IMO", "I think.....", "to my ears......", "seems to be....." etc etc, giving the reader ample warning that any advice I write is not written in stone and they are on their own when it comes to their own system's configuration i.e. I won't be responsible for anything they do to their own system based on my advice. Plus I never EVER said anywhere on this forum I was a professional audio set-up person or that I was giving out advice that will always 100% work for other people's systems. Lastly, I've seen plenty of truly ignorant advice written here - with NO indication it was an opinion or even a guess - advice that sometimes I believe WOULD cause physical damage to equipment if it was actually implemented.

And: the instructions in the manual for a piece of audio equipment is what someone should always abide by. So if some anonymous person on the internet gives advice that conflicts with the instructions that are written in that manual, ignore that person!
post #33 of 35 Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 AM

Anyway......

Again, at least during my experiments while setting up my own system, I played dvds with 5.1 soundtracks and went up and listened/felt the woofers in the L/C/R/SL/SR channels (yea, not very scientific but whatever) while they were set to "large". And at least with the movies I used for these tests, I personally never noticed any extreme low bass present. This isn't surprising to me because (again) why would a soundtrack engineer put such bass in those channels when a channel expressely designed for that purpose - the LFE a.k.a. the low frequency effects channel - is at their disposal???*

* if memory serves me right, it was included in the multichannel design standard because extreme low bass had the potential, if added to a satellite channel, to overload the decoder's DACs (on the playback end). So a dedicated channel was created to avoid this issue.
post #34 of 35 Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Is that 35hz to 20,000hz a +/-3db spec? If not then ignore the 35hz. It also depends on what subs you have. If you have subs that are just as capable in their frequency range as your speakers are in their range, then I still would use 60hz or 80hz for the crossover point. That is because the subs (if matching quality) will be able to do a better job. Also since bass below 80hz is non directional, it does not matter if it is stereo or mono.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #35 of 35 Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Just wanted to add that for anyone just getting into the home theater hobby & setting up their first system, I would advise sticking to the standard set-up recommendations for 5.1 surround systems. My own um.....non-standard...advice should only be used for those more familiar with audio theory and audio equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers