Help a noob - jump on Jamo S 426HCS 3 deal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, first post from this noob! I've been lurking off and on for a while, but just started really looking at the speaker forums in the last few days.

My current setup is a frankenstein 3.0 system, featuring a Sony STR-DE597, a Bose VCS-10 center, and a pair of old-school Realistic Minimus-1 bookshelves (thanks for the speakers, Dad!).

We just down-sized our house and have some wiggle-room in our budget, so I'm considering getting a 5.1 setup that I kept pushing off in favor of care and feeding of the kids. It would be used for gaming, movies and TV. It doesn't need to be too boomy; I like a full sound but don't want to wake the kids! I'm not an audiophile, and if I were, I wouldn't have the budget for it anyway.wink.gif

Based largely on what I've read here, I think something like the Energy Take classic would serve me well, so I've been looking at that and all the suggestions that show up in threads about the Take. My room is roughly 12x20, with a half-wall on one side so it's basically open to the kitchen:

So, I have a couple questions:
1) Am I correct in thinking that the Take 5.1 or similar system (Jamo, Polk Monitor, etc) would work well in this room?
2) I've seen the Jamo S 606HCS 3 compared favorably with the Take, but how about the S 426HCS 3? Would you put this in the same performance class as the Take?
3) Would the S 426HCS 3 work well in my room, or might the floor speakers be overkill?
4) Vanns has the Jamo S 426HCS 3 on the Deal of the Day today, for $199.88. Should I jump on this deal today, or do opportunities like this come up often enought that I should hold off for now and do some more research before I spend my money?
5) Will I run into trouble using my Sony STR with any of these speaker systems? I do intend to upgrade the receiver when I replace the TV, but it seems silly since I'm still on standard def for now and can't really use HDMI anyway.

I'm gonna go ahead and run these speakers through a WAF review. Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have the S 426HCS system in a room that's similar in size to your 20x12 area. However, my viewing position is closer to the TV, about 8 feet, which means I'm a little closer to the mains. I've added a sub, Polk PSW 110, and absolutely love the setup for movies. I think you could probably get away with not using a sub at all though.

For the price it's a fantastic 5.0 system in my opinion. I know it's not the most refined system, especially for music, but I'm very pleased with mine. It's not boomy at all. I noticed recently that the sound seems to have improved with time and I have maybe around 200 hours on it now.

One thing: I'm pretty sure Fry's has had it for as little as $129 a couple of times. I know for sure it's been $179 from them but I seem to remember seeing $129 even.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

I have the S 426HCS system in a room that's similar in size to your 20x12 area. However, my viewing position is closer to the TV, about 8 feet, which means I'm a little closer to the mains. I've added a sub, Polk PSW 110, and absolutely love the setup for movies. I think you could probably get away with not using a sub at all though.
For the price it's a fantastic 5.0 system in my opinion. I know it's not the most refined system, especially for music, but I'm very pleased with mine. It's not boomy at all. I noticed recently that the sound seems to have improved with time and I have maybe around 200 hours on it now.
One thing: I'm pretty sure Fry's has had it for as little as $129 a couple of times. I know for sure it's been $179 from them but I seem to remember seeing $129 even.

Oh, and: I just looked for reviews of the 426 and found What Hi-Fi?'s. Looks like I inadvertently 'stole' from their conclusion (which, by the way, is positive) smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks Willie. Looks like Frys also has it for $199 right now (although Vanns ships it for free).

I saw it on ebay for not too much more than that. It may be smarter to hold off for now and figure out what I really want.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
When Fry's puts it on sale it can be anywhere from $129 - $170 for the set. If you can afford to wait a little while you should do so. Who knows, it might be in Friday's ad.

Afro GT
post #6 of 14 Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I personally think that the Energy front speakers are just too small, and that the Jamo S426HCS3 is a MUCH better speaker system.
That is a fantastic price; that system usually runs $299 on Amazon, and I think it is a good price then.
My advice is to jump on it real fast, if you can get it for around $200!
post #7 of 14 Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

Quite agree with willieconway, for setting up for movies, S426HSC3 and sub PSW110 are excellent with very good price..Obviously, the sound quality of this combination is far better than All in one system as Denon 1311XP or Onkyo 5400..
Please go ahead with them.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, guys! I haven't pulled the trigger yet; it was a good deal, but better deals are likely to come before long, so I can't say it was too good to pass up. Given that, I can afford to take my time to make a wise decision.

Which leads to two more questions (so far...):
1) Putting towers beside the entertainment center did not pass WAF. Here's a pic of the entertainment center. Could I put the towers on the TV stand like this, or is that asking for all kinds of trouble?
I measured; the Jamo's would fit there, with a few inches to spare. I know it would be difficult to properly aim them at LP - maybe I could rig something to lean them forward slightly - but if there are other issues with it, I may be better off with Polk Monitor or similar bookshelves.

2) From perusing the forums, I just realized the Jamo's are 6-ohm speakers. The poster that pointed this out said it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a decent receiver. I'm not sure mine qualifies! I have a Sony STR-DE597. I looked over the spec sheet at Sony's website, but I didn't see any indication of whether it could handle 6-ohm speakers (it just noted that the spec measurements assumed 8-ohm, which is pretty standard for measuring specs on all receivers, right?). So, can anyone tell me whether my receiver can handle them (or help me understand how to tell from the specs)?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-20-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Now on Amazon for $129.99 +free shipping!
Any thoughts on my questions above, RE placement and impedence?
post #10 of 14 Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragg-O View Post

Now on Amazon for $129.99 +free shipping!
Any thoughts on my questions above, RE placement and impedence?

I'm running mine with an Onkyo TX-NR509 which I believe is 80w at 8hm and it has plenty of power for the 426 speakers. I can't imagine you'll have any problems pairing them with your Sony unless you want to blast down walls with sound.

Regarding placement I'm no expert but it strikes me as an odd setup. I think the speakers would benefit from having some space around them versus being boxed in like that. Also, I'd imagine having them on the ground would be better. If I were in your situation, I'd go with some bookshelves for fronts instead.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I think you're right. I was really trying to justify the Jamo's because of the price. It's really hard to pass up that system for $129 (amazon seller Paul's TV, if anyone is interested)!

I finally got out to listen to some bookshelves and centers. Listening makes all the difference! My favorites in my price range were the Polk CS10 and TSi100's. Lows and mids were much more full. I figured if I liked those, I'll like the CS20 and TSi200 more, with the larger drivers. Thanks to the great info here on AVS, I learned the CS10 and CS20 are mostly identical to the CS1 and CS2 (likewice for TSi100/Monitor 30 and TSi200/Monitor40), so I went ahead and ordered a CS2 from newegg for $109 (promo code EMCNDJA88 good through 6/25/2012)!

Guess I'm off to the Polk thread to wait for a good deal on the Monitor40's, and then I'll move my old Minimus-1's back to surround L/R and add a sub if I feel the need later on.

Thanks for the advice, guys!
post #12 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Liked: 14
I would look for some nice bookshelf speakers instead because of the placement issue. With towers up there the tweeters would be way above ear height and require tilting which may not look very good or be safe for kids walking in front of the entertainment center. I'm not sure if flipping towers upside down is a possibility or not.

Placing the speakers to each side of the entertainment center would be much better, not only because of tweeter heigh, but also because it spaces out the L/R channels and would provide a much better surround sound experience and even stereo music would be improved. If you are allowed to place bookshelf speakers on the outer shelves instead of directly next to the TV, that would be another good reason to get bookshelf speakers instead.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Where are you going to place the center channel in that setup? The CS2 is pretty large. Looks like you'd need a riser for the TV in order to fit the center speaker underneath.

Are you planning to put your bookshelf speakers on both sides of the TV? Or will they be placed on one of the shelves?

Afro GT
post #14 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Bookshelves will go on the shelves.

My current center channel is on the shelf above the TV, but that shelf is only about 8" deep (shelves in the towers are deeper). The Polk is nearly 12". I'm thinking it will go on top, angled down toward LP. When I get around to replacing my 27" CRT TV, I may get a riser and put the CC down on the TV stand.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page