Hey guys, first post from this noob! I've been lurking off and on for a while, but just started really looking at the speaker forums in the last few days.
My current setup is a frankenstein 3.0 system, featuring a Sony STR-DE597, a Bose VCS-10 center, and a pair of old-school Realistic Minimus-1 bookshelves (thanks for the speakers, Dad!).
We just down-sized our house and have some wiggle-room in our budget, so I'm considering getting a 5.1 setup that I kept pushing off in favor of care and feeding of the kids. It would be used for gaming, movies and TV. It doesn't need to be too boomy; I like a full sound but don't want to wake the kids! I'm not an audiophile, and if I were, I wouldn't have the budget for it anyway.
Based largely on what I've read here, I think something like the Energy Take classic would serve me well, so I've been looking at that and all the suggestions that show up in threads about the Take. My room is roughly 12x20, with a half-wall on one side so it's basically open to the kitchen:
So, I have a couple questions:
1) Am I correct in thinking that the Take 5.1 or similar system (Jamo, Polk Monitor, etc) would work well in this room?
2) I've seen the Jamo S 606HCS 3 compared favorably with the Take, but how about the S 426HCS 3? Would you put this in the same performance class as the Take?
3) Would the S 426HCS 3 work well in my room, or might the floor speakers be overkill?
4) Vanns has the Jamo S 426HCS 3 on the Deal of the Day today, for $199.88. Should I jump on this deal today, or do opportunities like this come up often enought that I should hold off for now and do some more research before I spend my money?
5) Will I run into trouble using my Sony STR with any of these speaker systems? I do intend to upgrade the receiver when I replace the TV, but it seems silly since I'm still on standard def for now and can't really use HDMI anyway.
I'm gonna go ahead and run these speakers through a WAF review. Thanks for any advice!