Goldenear AON 3 theater system recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First I am a relative noobie when it come to high end speakers. I am moving and have to replace my B&W 685's and HTM61 (no room for the center). I have focused in on the Goldenear. My first thought was the Sat 50 system, but I want a little more richness and I think that the Triton 2's are great, but the overall cost and floor space could be a prohibiting factor.

I am thinking about the following set and would welcome your comments and guidance:

Aon 3
Sat 50 center channel
Sat 3 or upcoming GE ceiling speakers for the rear
JL Fathom 10"

What do you think about this set up? I would be running this off of an Onkyo-TX-SR 806.

A little about the room the speakers will sit on a built in bookcases and the back of the room opens into the kitchen, with a diameter of 19 ft long, by 14 deep with 9 ft ceilings.

I will probably contact GE customer service this week, but would like to your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Could you fit another Aon as a center? The JL sub is also way overpriced, do you have an actual size limit or do you just like it because of how small it is? Something like this HSU is only an 18" cube and will easily outperform the JL

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15.html
post #3 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Jay 1- Thanks for the reply:

Aon for a center- I wish I had the room. Due to the room set up I will have to mount the TV over the fireplace (I have been able to get the mantle down to 48" high) and do not want to put the TV up any higher that that (+the width of the center).

JL- I need something with a small foot print. We have to accommodate a wheel chair, so floor space is a premium. As I said I am a noobie and will look at the HSu...

Thanks again.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
There are plenty of small footprint subs that will outperform the JL

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc13-ultra

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=682

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=891

For the center just make sure you can get the front of it to the edge of the mantle. It should actually have pretty good vertical coverage since it's a horizontal mtm.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links...do you know where I can get some mounts so that can sit out in front of the mantle?
post #6 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
After reading a bit on the AON 3 (unfortunately I don't have any local place to hear them) they became of interest as I start to rebuild a media system.

I have a couple of questions if anyone could please help and respond -

1) How do these speakers compare to the Def Tech Studio 55 and 65 which also have passive radiators (but not the ribbon tweeter).

2) If I were to get 3 AON 3 speakers and use one for a center channel, it would have to be placed lower than the L and R fronts. Is this
going to be a problem? I don't believe that GE's center would be sufficient based on what Sandy G stated about subs being the second
half the the equation for the GE center. (I wont be purchasing one for several months).

3) My AVR is conservatively rated at 50 per channel. Will this be enough to drive these speakers at medium levels and how do these speakers do at lower volumes?

4) My alternative to my 1500 limit, is 2000 for the Def Tech 8060 surround package (extra 500 I am bartering for pro photo restoration services for a friend). What would you do - AON 3, Studio 65 or 8060 deal?

Thanks to any who can lend me a hand here.

This is for a large plasma screen, media streaming, blu ray and various types of music (CD, 96/24 FLAC, multi-channel flac etc.)
post #7 of 11 Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Hmmm no response to my above request for feedback/info/recommendations? Seems no one here has AON3's to discuss?
post #8 of 11 Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

Hmmm no response to my above request for feedback/info/recommendations? Seems no one here has AON3's to discuss?

I can't help you on the Aon 3's. I'd have to travel 120 miles to hear both GoldenEar and DefTech in the same room.

The DefTech 8060 package is an excellent deal. $2000 is the retail price on the 8060 towers and they throw in the 8040 center and surrounds. Only thing to do is check in the GolderEar thread.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #9 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM

Jevans - thank you for the response. Seemed like I was getting dead air here.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Liked: 11
Aon3 are very good speakers to listen to and as part of the HT system. Aon 3s are powered by an onkyo 3008, Supersat 50c center and dual SVS PB 1000. I am very much satisfied with the integration of everything.

Greetings from Manila
post #11 of 11 Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 PM

I recently pulled the trigger and got three AON 3's for my fronts/center and later move them to the back when I get (if they are as good as reviewed from the show) the Triton Sevens.

The only other game in town of a similar nature were the Def Tech Studio Monitors. The SM 45 was a very tight impressive small speaker with good presence, image was reasonable but would serve better as a rear or side on axis speaker while the SM 55 was a bit more full sounding but didn't seem as "tight" and clear in the mid-high. The SM 65 is a beast and that is what I compared to the AON 3.

While I actually prefer the shape of the SM 65 over the AON 3, it was the tweeters that drove me to the AON 3. It is hard to describe but seemed to make my ears (for lack of better words) happier with a clear, faithful and honest expression of various high end sounds ranging from triangles to piano and more. The SM 65 in some respects might be a more honest speaker when it comes to matching music as well as does better for movies. The trade off that came with the AON 3 was the lack of a center speaker that goes below 120 for crossover and thus the 3rd AON. The Def Techs offer multiple center speakers and of course the SM 65 can be put on its side as indicated by Def Tech and in various forums.

Given that my speakers will be put on shelves or wall mounted, I am okay with an AON 3 as a center channel. The speaker is 14" tall and should not be placed on its side.

My tests included 96/24 flac music, lossless apple from CD, 3 movie scenes including Matrix, Chronicles of Narnia TLWandW and LOTR II Towers. Dialogue, shattering sounds (Matrix), music and effects (Narnia), bass and more - LOTR.
The AON 3 did well in all my personal tests and for fun they allowed me to airplay some music and that was the biggest surprise at just how nicely AONs can play those. I do admit that part of the great sound of course is their amplification system but just shows the best you can get out of these stand speakers. I can honestly say that cost wise, the AON 3 and 2 are good investments for those that like dependable moderate to high fidelity sound. The SM 65 perhaps is more versatile if you are more into edgy music played louder or hard rock. I listen to every kind of music and the AON 3 hits the sweet spot.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page