Same Speakers for Surround AND Whole-House Audio? - AVS Forum
Speakers > Same Speakers for Surround AND Whole-House Audio?
lahatte's Avatar lahatte 02:29 PM 06-10-2012
I would like to be able to use two of my home theater speakers with the whole-house-audio system. Basically, they could serve double duty in this regard. In other words, if the theater system isn't being used, the speakers could play sound from the whole-house-audio system. Otherwise, I would need 'additional' speaker mounted in the room just for the whole-house-audio.

I am having difficulty coming up with a good way to do this, while keeping the signal sources isolated from each other. I don't want the signal from the theater amp, for example, feeding to the whole house amp via the speaker connection.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks.

lahatte's Avatar lahatte 02:13 PM 06-11-2012
No one has any knowledge about this issue? Surely this is a common thing to need?

Thanks.
Robert Cook's Avatar Robert Cook 09:48 AM 06-12-2012
lahatte's Avatar lahatte 12:05 PM 06-12-2012
Thanks. The last one looks like a weiner (winner). I'll have to investigate it.

I have also considered using a dual voice coil speaker, with one coil to each source (would use two of these for stereo).

Clay
lahatte's Avatar lahatte 12:06 PM 06-12-2012
I suppose the related question is, how do other people typically get whole-house-audio into the theater room? Do they just add more speakers specifically for the WHA?
Robert Cook's Avatar Robert Cook 07:35 AM 06-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post

I suppose the related question is, how do other people typically get whole-house-audio into the theater room? Do they just add more speakers specifically for the WHA?

There must be a great variety of configurations out there, but if I had to guess about the general case, I'd suppose that most people wouldn't have a separate WHA system, basing theirs instead on their HT system. They may, for example, add speakers to other rooms with the Zone 2 speaker outputs, or feed their pre-amp outputs into separate amps to power speakers throughout the rest of the house, while the HT speakers provide audio for the HT room.
Up
Mobile  Desktop