Bic America FH-65B Bookshelf Speaker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have listened to the Bic America FH-65B Bookshelf Speaker and the Klipsch RB-51 II Reference Series. I like them both but I can't make a discernible between the two. All things being equal to my ears I would get the BIC since they are less expensive and would allow more budget for a sub, receiver, or surrounds. I would get 5 FH-65B as my LCR behind a AT screen and 2 more as my rear L and R on my 7.2 system. If I go BIC, I will get the BIC Acoustech PL-66 as my surrounds and a BIC America F12 as my two subs with the Onkyo TX-NR809 as my receiver. My room will be 16x12 with 2' behind the AT screen for the LCR. My budget is $1500 for a receiver and all my speakers. This is my first home theater. All of my speaker experience before this was HTIB systems under $500 from your local big box retailers. Any advice, reviews, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There is no such thing as death. Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-10-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 515
I haven't heard either speaker, but I have heard some of the Klipsch RF line, and, given the design differences between the two, I am certain they won't sound alike. Just because the tweeter has a horn on it doesn't mean it will sound the same.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I haven't heard either speaker, but I have heard some of the Klipsch RF line, and, given the design differences between the two, I am certain they won't sound alike. Just because the tweeter has a horn on it doesn't mean it will sound the same.
he said he listened to both of them and found no discernible difference
post #4 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 View Post

he said he listened to both of them and found no discernible difference

Unless he listened to them back to back, using the same material, his experience isn't going to be real helpful in discerning their differences, unless they were wildly different types of speakers, which they aren't.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

I listened to them both in my home in my master bedroom which is the same size as my home theater will be. I listened to the same music and movies on each. I'm not an audiophile and have never had an ear for speakers, but these two both sound much better than anything I have experienced before. Once my theater is 100% finished I will put both of these down there and try them out again. I am mostly looking for others opinions on them. BIC seems like a very good deal, but I don't mind paying a little extra or upgrading slowly if what I get will last me longer with better quality during its lifespan.

There is no such thing as death. Life is but a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

post #6 of 19 Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I would respectively suggest that you need to do a lot more shopping around. If you do you will find other speakers you will probably like a lot better for a comparable price.

If I were to make a list of the best-sounding speakers in that price range, those would rank about #7 and #8 on my top ten list; definitely not the best of the bunch.

IMO you will get much better sound with comparable speakers from KEF, PSB, or Monitor Audio.

For example, the KEF iQ30 run $399 per pair at KEF Direct, and IMO sound MUCH better. The iQ10 are $299 for satellite speakers.

The Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2 are excellent and run about $450 per pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidor82 View Post

I have listened to the Bic America FH-65B Bookshelf Speaker and the Klipsch RB-51 II Reference Series. I like them both but I can't make a discernible between the two. All things being equal to my ears I would get the BIC since they are less expensive and would allow more budget for a sub, receiver, or surrounds. I would get 5 FH-65B as my LCR behind a AT screen and 2 more as my rear L and R on my 7.2 system. If I go BIC, I will get the BIC Acoustech PL-66 as my surrounds and a BIC America F12 as my two subs with the Onkyo TX-NR809 as my receiver. My room will be 16x12 with 2' behind the AT screen for the LCR. My budget is $1500 for a receiver and all my speakers. This is my first home theater. All of my speaker experience before this was HTIB systems under $500 from your local big box retailers. Any advice, reviews, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM

I am kind of digging up an old thread here, but these FH-65b's have recently caught my eye on Amazon for $100/ea (or $200 for the pair). Does anyone own these? Are they worth looking at?
Quote:
I would respectively suggest that you need to do a lot more shopping around. If you do you will find other speakers you will probably like a lot better for a comparable price.

If I were to make a list of the best-sounding speakers in that price range, those would rank about #7 and #8 on my top ten list; definitely not the best of the bunch.

IMO you will get much better sound with comparable speakers from KEF, PSB, or Monitor Audio.

For example, the KEF iQ30 run $399 per pair at KEF Direct, and IMO sound MUCH better. The iQ10 are $299 for satellite speakers.

Are there any better speaker in this price range ($200/pair)? I do like brighter sounding speakers, but a full midrange and low end that blends well with my sub are slightly more important to me.

Thanks!
post #8 of 19 Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM

Just ordered two of these on amazon and bic in ceiling speakers for my rears. Excited to get them and try them out. Money's tight right now and hopefully these hold me overfor a year or so. I'm skeptical about the reviews , can't imagine these speakers producing whatpeople say they are but power handling, sensitivity and specs have made curious to say the least . At 100 per speakerand Amazon's return policy it's worth the try I figured.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Where do these rank on your list now that they're 200/pair?

Any other recommendations at such a low price point?
post #10 of 19 Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDastoli1 View Post

Just ordered two of these on amazon and bic in ceiling speakers for my rears. Excited to get them and try them out. Money's tight right now and hopefully these hold me overfor a year or so. I'm skeptical about the reviews , can't imagine these speakers producing whatpeople say they are but power handling, sensitivity and specs have made curious to say the least . At 100 per speakerand Amazon's return policy it's worth the try I figured.

Did you like these?
post #11 of 19 Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDastoli1 View Post

Where do these rank on your list now that they're 200/pair?

Any other recommendations at such a low price point?

Fry's has a sale on Polk Audio RTi bookshelf speakers that are at a great price. http://www.frys.com/ads/page6

Cliff
post #12 of 19 Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 16
Freakin Fry's...great prices, but none near me in Northern VA!

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub
post #13 of 19 Old 04-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

Fry's has a sale on Polk Audio RTi bookshelf speakers that are at a great price. http://www.frys.com/ads/page6

yeah, I saw these in the store yesterday... and the price for the infinity's is pretty good also... pretty smokin good deals.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #14 of 19 Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM

Liked: 11
I've owned the FH-65B for about 3 years now. And I think after some burn in, and proper placement they sound really great. The better the gear behind them the greater they sound.
I am curious though how well they compare with more expensive Speakers. Commsysman would rate them a 7, but they are still on his Top 10 list. It would have been more helpful if he explained why he'd rate it a 7. I'm not a speaker expert but when I look at it's specs sheet they seem to be better than many more expensive speaker. As far as power, sensitivity, frequency response. Why is it that the average muti hundred dollar speaker can only reproduce sounds between 55hz - 22kHz while the FH-65B goes down to 40Hz? I'm struggling to find any other bookshelf speaker that reaches that low.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Can they really go down to 40hz??? If you run Audyssey what does it set the crossovers to? I have the Acoustech PL-89s, PL-28, and PL-66s and Audyssey set the crossovers to 40hz on the 89s, 70hz on the 28, and 60hz on the 66s so that means in my room that's what Audyssey sees as the -3db point. However I changed all the crossovers to 80hz as that's what sounds best to me and also relieves some stress off the receiver and lets the sub do what it does best, bass. I love my speakers but I am sure the specs are exaggerated.

Shawn
post #16 of 19 Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post

I'm not a speaker expert but when I look at it's specs sheet they seem to be better than many more expensive speaker. As far as power, sensitivity, frequency response. Why is it that the average muti hundred dollar speaker can only reproduce sounds between 55hz - 22kHz while the FH-65B goes down to 40Hz? I'm struggling to find any other bookshelf speaker that reaches that low.

Do not put your weight in the printed speaker specs - for the most part that is no guarantee. Also,
seems optimistic on their part for the 40 hz spec - and also, the question is how much distortion
will it have at the 40 hz mark, if it really can get there?

Now if you want a speaker that can play good below 50 hz, then it is the JBL Studio 530

For one who wants nice bass, it tends to be better if you mate/blend it with a subwoofer.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #17 of 19 Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Can they really go down to 40hz??? If you run Audyssey what does it set the crossovers to? I have the Acoustech PL-89s, PL-28, and PL-66s and Audyssey set the crossovers to 40hz on the 89s, 70hz on the 28, and 60hz on the 66s so that means in my room that's what Audyssey sees as the -3db point. However I changed all the crossovers to 80hz as that's what sounds best to me and also relieves some stress off the receiver and lets the sub do what it does best, bass. I love my speakers but I am sure the specs are exaggerated.

I'm not familiar with Audyssey, but they they can be boomy enough. Not shake your windows boomy but musically tasteful. If you are using them for movies or extremely bassy music then you still might want a subwoofer. But for Jazz, Blues or Classical they are excellent.
zieglj01 asks how much do they distort in the bass. Which is a good question. All I can say is that they sound very clean, and I feel theres nothing that gets in the way of my music.
I would like to see a critical analysis from someone who actual owns them. I wish I had the knowledge and equipment to do so. But I think they are worth the money, I'm only looking to upgrade them for larger floor standing speaker.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
What receiver are you running??? Does it have any kind of Auto Room EQ? Audyssey is its own company and Audyssey has several different levels of Auto Room EQ and Audyssey can be found on Onkyo, Integra, Denon, and Marantz receivers. Sony, Pioneer, and Yamaha have their own brand of EQ, Audyssey is supposed to be the best from what I know.

Also as I already stated I have the BIC Acoustech PL-89 Tower speakers which have 2 - 8" woofers and I still prefer to run them with 80hz crossover and use my dual subs to handle 80hz and below. I know my speakers can play loud and they can play clean in the mids and highs. If crossover is too low or your are running them full band without a sub the bass does distort.

Shawn
post #19 of 19 Old 02-14-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

What receiver are you running??? Does it have any kind of Auto Room EQ? Audyssey is its own company and Audyssey has several different levels of Auto Room EQ and Audyssey can be found on Onkyo, Integra, Denon, and Marantz receivers. Sony, Pioneer, and Yamaha have their own brand of EQ, Audyssey is supposed to be the best from what I know.

Also as I already stated I have the BIC Acoustech PL-89 Tower speakers which have 2 - 8" woofers and I still prefer to run them with 80hz crossover and use my dual subs to handle 80hz and below. I know my speakers can play loud and they can play clean in the mids and highs. If crossover is too low or your are running them full band without a sub the bass does distort.

I'm running them from a Onkyo TX-8050 receiver. It is a stereo only receiver so it doesn't have any room correction or adjustable crossover like the multi channel ones. I also have a sub a Dayton Sub-1200 and its cross over is set to 70hz..
But I ran them for 3 years without a Sub full band and I never heard any distortion. I still recommend the speakers to the OP.
sheshechic likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic America Speaker Fh 65b

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page