Too Much Stereo Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So as you can see in the photos below I have a speaker location/size problem. After collecting what I knew I wanted and could fit, I'm not sure how to best set things up.

Here's the setup:
In the rear are two Chorus IIs and they are good to go.
Up front are two LaScalas and they are all set.

The problem comes into play with the two Palladium subs and two Heresy IIs available for a center channel.

I really like the placement of the subs and hate to move them but when I placed the one Heresy on my avr stand (horiz) it just looked awfully awkward and made the viewing of the tv uncomfortable.

In the photo you see below I've CAREFULLY placed them on the Palladiums and may run them in series, but I am worried about harming my beautiful subs and if I have enough power to be running this 8ohm speakers in parallel.

The LaScala on their own image really well and I have gone without a center channel for the past few months, and I could just run a 4.2 setup and use the Heresy in another room.

So in summary here are my three choices, what do you all suggest:

1) use one Heresy horizontally under the tv even though it makes viewing of the tv feel awkward

2) place the two on the subs toed in and hope they dont damage the finish of the subs

3) just run 4.2 and let the LS do the work for the center.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Here's what I would do (you may not like this idea as it will require a lot of work):

Is it possible to move your gear elsewhere? Personally, I've never been a fan of looking at gear when listening to music). I know you have cables run from the gear to the TV, etc., and the cabinet hides them...but if you could find another location, that would free up the middle. Then, buy a third LaScala for the center. Subs on either side would look good (as long as they sounded good). Use the hersey's in another room.

Or, go phantom center.

You could use the Herseys as center, but it would also require moving the cabinet.

I'd just get another LaScala and call it a day. biggrin.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I know, I know! The third LS is the longterm goal, but for now I just dont have the space/means to do that.

Anyone have experience with running a center in series?
post #4 of 8 Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivlinm View Post

I know, I know! The third LS is the longterm goal, but for now I just dont have the space/means to do that.
Anyone have experience with running a center in series?

Are you asking about wiring the two Hersey in series? Wiring two 8u speakers in series provides a 16u load to the amp. Just like an 8u load is easier to drive than a 4u load; a 16u load is easier to drive than an 8u load.
Years ago I ran 3 JBL L55s for the LCRs. The center L55 had a coax LE14c driver instead of the LE14a of the L/R mains. That LE14c was a 16u load, the LE14a are 8u. It worked beautifully. If anything, the center channel db setting might have to be turned down a few db, compared to the L/R.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Just run a phantom center until you get the third LaScala. A lot of guys say it sounds just fine.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #6 of 8 Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivlinm View Post

...In the photo you see below I've CAREFULLY placed them on the Palladiums and may run them in series, but I am worried about harming my beautiful subs and if I have enough power to be running this 8ohm speakers in parallel.

I wouldn't run the two Heresies as center because it would seem like you would run into combing effects from both speakers playing the same material...I also don't think you would want to have a speaker obscuring the monitor so I would go the phantom route in this scenario.

EDIT: I agree a third LS would kick A** but have you considred finding an Academy Center or possibly a KLF-C7? Fwiw, I have seen both used with upper-end Heritiage but agree the LS would be the ticket.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I agree with Zen, but I would also think you would have serious lobing issues. Ultimately, phantom center is the route. I have some older Reference Series (Klipsch) in the family room (not part of my HT) and run a phantom center....I don't miss a center.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I agree with using the phantom center mode until you find the 3rd LS.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page