Are Energy Take Classic 5.1s still considered the best budget speakers? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
(Just posting what I've found in case someone searches for this in the future)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post

I came across the Polk OWM3 speakers.
They'd be much easier to mount and a little less obtrusive - but will there be a significant change is audio quality (They would be the front L/R speakers with the Polk CS1 center and Polk PSW505 sub)? Both these and the Monitor 30's have good reviews, and are the same price, so I don't know which to go with!

Looks like the OWM3s are meant to be used only as surround/rears. The Monitor 30s will probably have a fuller sound, based on reviews I've been reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post

And on a related note - is it even a good idea to unscrew the mount from the back of the 30 and reposition it along the long side of the cabinet? I read that it won't affect any wiring in the speaker, but will leaving holes where the bracket used to be mounted cause a problem?

I've decided to just buy keyhole mounts when the time comes and add them to the existing mounts already on the speakers. Then there won't be any holes after removal. I also may look for additional rubber feet to put on the other corners.

One concern is if the audio quality will suffer from being horizontal and only 3/4" away from the wall. I'm afraid it probably will, but won't be able to tell until they get here frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 PM

Liked: 10
I actually have the OWM3's as surround rears. They sound great and produce a really good sound as surrounds and when i switch the AVR to 5ch mode they are very full sounding. Polk designed these speakers to match the tsi line witch is basically the same as the monitor line. Polk tech support confirmed it too. I am not sure how they would work as fronts but i suppose they could work. They have great highs and mids, but not a lot of lows. Your sub will fix that though I liked them because you could mount them in different positions,however dont let pictures deceive you. They are not as small as they look. They are thinner than a bookshelf speaker but just as tall as one.

Yamaha RX-V471 (AVR)
Polk Monitor 50 (fronts)
Polk CS1 (center)
Polk OWM3 (surrounds)
Polk DSW pro550wi (sub)

Mark
Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM

If anyone is still looking for them, they are on sale at Newegg and Amazon today for $299.99
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 AM

They are on sale again today at amazon for $299.