PARTY SPEAKERS - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Secret would he better off with dj speakers and amps for rap techno and dubstep if he decides that he doesn't like cerwin vega? I hear that dj speakers have a lot of bass. some that I heard had a good bump to them at festivals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
DJ speakers are a bit different then a home speaker. Most of them are not intended to play that low as far as bass goes. They're designed to be played along with subwoofers. They're also designed to be played loud with proper amplification. DJ speakers often don't sound good at lower or moderate volumes. DJ speakers can be integrated into home music use or even into theater use but you need to know the DJ speaker well and it's specifications. So if you where to get a pair of DJ speakers and connect them to that Yamaha receiver I think you're looking for a mess.
post #33 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I'm not sure about the Technics speakers with the 15's. I have never owned them. You're going to have to be careful with any large used CV speakers. A lot of times they've been abused. The Bic speakers with 15's seem like a nice speaker. Any speaker that's played real loud or abused will go into protection when it's beat to death. Especially when the amp is clipping or has a low damping rating. The Yamaha that was posted earlier might work fine in stereo mode or in 2.1. at modest volumes. A subwoofer would help a lot. There is one thing that many don't realize about some CV speakers. Some of them have large impedance swings. For instance my CLS-215's are 8ohm but can dip down below 4 ohms with some frequencies. So you need to be aware of this when you consider your amplification choice and the CV's you're getting.
so what would work at high volumes?
post #34 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what I mean bye it shaking stuff. about 23 seconds the dishes start shaking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dLRb3FqNXk
true secret squirrel if he buys big older used speakers they might be pretty worn out and abused already. I remember hearing some cheap 15 inch jensen speakers at a party once. I thought that it sounded pretty good To bad that they don't make them anymore.
post #35 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nhwa11 View Post

so what would work at high volumes?

If you're going to get 4ohm CV's you need a 4ohm stable receiver. I don't think that Yamaha is. If you really wan't dubstep and rap to sound the way it should you need a subwoofer. There's no way around it. A big pair of mains isn't going to do it as well as a pair of mains paired with a subwoofer. You can have the best of both worlds a large pair of mains and a subwoofer or subwoofers. Also when you use a sub the amplification for the mains isn't as demanding on the amp you use. Dubstep is some of the most demanding music for bass. To play dubstep properly at loud volumes buying a pair of used CV's and a 100w receiver isn't going to get the job done. It will work but the bass will not be as good as with a properly calibrated subwoofer in the system. Especially when you start to play it loud.
post #36 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

is the d3 a 4ohm? sorry i have no idea what any of this is
post #37 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The spec sheet is a little blurry but it looks like it says the D3 is 8ohms nominal. Nominal is sort of like a base average number. With certain frequencies the speaker will dip below 8ohms.
post #38 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

They also have a 94db sensitivity rating. That's a good thing but you still need to keep the impedance numbers in mind.
post #39 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

If you're going to get 4ohm CV's you need a 4ohm stable receiver. I don't think that Yamaha is. If you really wan't dubstep and rap to sound the way it should you need a subwoofer. There's no way around it. A big pair of mains isn't going to do it as well as a pair of mains paired with a subwoofer. You can have the best of both worlds a large pair of mains and a subwoofer or subwoofers. Also when you use a sub the amplification for the mains isn't as demanding on the amp you use. Dubstep is some of the most demanding music for bass. To play dubstep properly at loud volumes buying a pair of used CV's and a 100w receiver isn't going to get the job done. It will work but the bass will not be as good as with a properly calibrated subwoofer in the system. Especially when you start to play it loud.

would it be more economical to buy a subwoofer or a better receiver? and since the bass from the speakers are suppose to already shake the house, do i need a subwoofer?
post #40 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

allright, if you guys had a $500 budget, what would you buy that fits my needs?
post #41 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

jOnhwa11 I can tell you're new at this so I'll try to explain it. Just because a pair of mains are large doesn't mean that they are the best for producing bass. If the mains are truly full range speakers. Most aren't. They will suck a lot of power from the receiver or amplifier trying to produce bass by themselves. By adding a subwoofer there are many benefits. The subwoofer has it's own amplifier. The subwoofer can be placed in a proper location in the room for best bass response. You can't do this with the mains. By using a subwoofer with large mains the sound will also be more dynamic. For instance my mains can play down to 25hz. They do a pretty good job on their own with bass, but I have ample wattage available. The room sounds even better with the mains crossed over at about 50hz with multiple subwoofers doing the rest of the work.
post #42 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nhwa11 View Post

allright, if you guys had a $500 budget, what would you buy that fits my needs?
How large is the room you're putting this in? You need to account for openings to other rooms if the room isn't completely sealed. So you have $500 for everything?
post #43 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

20x24 for the living room. it opens to the kitchen which is 20x12. there are also stairs to the upper level in the living room. Yes $500 for everything
post #44 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Depending on how much bass you want I think that they might be okay. A subwoofer does help, but I had two 12 inch speakers before and a kenwood 8 inch powered subwoofer. I left the subwoofer off most of the time. I didn't like how it sounded with the big speakers. Hear it and see for yourself if you want the subwoofer. Before I used the two 12 inch speakers I had kenwood bookshelf speakers. I thought that the bass from the powered subwoofer sounded better with smaller bookshelf speakers then the bigger speakers. It's all personal opinion. Hear the vegas and if they don't impress you enough to buy them that day tell him that you will think about it.
post #45 of 53 Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Getting those speakers for $90 is a good deal. Get this PA-150 sub for $300

(enter coupon code subsp to get the $300 price)
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=711&crid=189&cat_name=Search

It is capable of extreme output, and for a music system with this goal it's a great deal. All you would need is a cheap HT receiver. The reason to stick with an HT receiver is so you can send all the bass below 80hz to the sub, which will help the amp, and the speakers perform better. A stereo receiver wont have bass management, even with a sub out.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR391/DENON-AVR-391-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
post #46 of 53 Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Getting those speakers for $90 is a good deal. Get this PA-150 sub for $300
(enter coupon code subsp to get the $300 price)
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=711&crid=189&cat_name=Search
It is capable of extreme output, and for a music system with this goal it's a great deal. All you would need is a cheap HT receiver. The reason to stick with an HT receiver is so you can send all the bass below 80hz to the sub, which will help the amp, and the speakers perform better. A stereo receiver wont have bass management, even with a sub out.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR391/DENON-AVR-391-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DE595-receiver-5-1-channel/dp/B00009L3OF
my dad has this receiver. will it do?
post #47 of 53 Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

It should get you by for a couple years at least. Dont be surprised if you eventually blow it (assuming your dad hasnt abused it already).
post #48 of 53 Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to DJ. I'd recommend looking on craigs or ebay or some DJ forum for some used JBL gear. Can get loud if you want to use them for parties and such

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #49 of 53 Old 06-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

Secret will the Yamaha sound good with his vegas? if not what receiver should he get?
Try for a receiver with a THX ULTRA Rating,
They will drive a 4 ohm load all day long.
But even better yet is to get a receiver with Pre Outs, and then get a REAL 4 ohm rated amplifier.
The BEST Cerwin Vega to get (if you care about midrange sound quality) is the Cerwin Vega VS 150 or the Cerwin Vega AT 15
With a real amp, these will play so loud they will do damage to your hearing, and can handle Rap Music or Metal
Klipsch Cornwalls and Klipsch Forte's, as well as Klipsch Chorus will also party well, and do not need a 4 ohm rated amp.
post #50 of 53 Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

post #51 of 53 Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You really want that PA-150, the Infinity wont be able to keep up with your CVs.
post #52 of 53 Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

what should i look for in a sub?
i'm in the washinton dc area if you guys wanna help me look for a sub biggrin.gif
post #53 of 53 Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

got the energy s10.3 sub. anybody have this sub? would love to hear your opinion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page