Connect Bose 901 speakers to Yamaha RX A3010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I have just purchased some additional components for my home stereo.
These are Bose 901 speakers with Active Equalizer and a Yamaha RX A3010 Surround Amplifier.
How do I connect the Bose Active Equalizer to the RX A3010 Surround Amplifier.
In the instructions for the Bose Active Equalizer it states to connect them to either:
1) Tape monitor in & out
2) Main amp in & out

I have had my original set up since 1994 which included:
Yamaha RX 460 170Watt Stereo Receiver
Yamaha DSP E1000 270Watt Digital Sound Processor / Amplifier
With Yamaha tape deck and 5 disc CD player
These power Bose 301 speakers as fronts with Yamaha centre and rear surrounds.
I know the Yamaha RX A3010 Surround Amplifier combines the Yamaha RX 460 170Watt Stereo Receiver with a newer version of what the DSP E1000 270Watt Digital Sound Processor / Amplifier did, thus making these two components redundant.

In the instructions for the Bose Active Equalizer it states to connect them to either:
1) Tape monitor in & out, (# This is currently how I have the 901’s set up on my Yamaha RX 460 170Watt Stereo Receiver #)
2) Main amp in & out
Fix Ya online help suggested:
Use Pre Amp out to Equalizer in

# There is one, (Single left & right, not a double), Pre Amp out
# There are no Tape play / monitor input outputs and no Mains Amp or Equalizer input outputs

The bloke at the Yamaha store suggested using a single to double cable going from the single Pre out into the Bose 901 Active Equalizer, but he admitted he did not really know.

Thanks for any help

PS I would like to do this without purchasing an additional Amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Take the Bose back, buy some real speakers eek.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Just making sure you find the right place.

Good luck!

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #4 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 02:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

First question.

Can you return the Bose speakers as an option?

Seriously.

You will find a lot of advice here on how to find a lot of other speakers that will give you a lot more bang for your buck performance wise and after browsing around here at AVS you are bound to find some useful advice on finding some speakers at the same or less cost that will offer you better performance.

As a general rule, Bose has great marketing and better sounding than some simple options like a cheap speaker set in a flat panel but its easy to get better performance and greater value from other entry level speakers that are available everywhere.

So one option is to try them for a while, but learn things from this site and then return them for something better.

I'll let the other experts here take over from there.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #5 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 02:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Take the Bose back, buy some real speakers eek.gif
He's excited about his upgrade, break the news to him gently and try not to scare him away. wink.gif

(as a new poster and AVS member he actually created this thread in the wrong forum so I helped out and directed him here.) biggrin.gif

follow me on Twitter
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
No, I purchased the 901's from a Bose store, so they definitely will not be swapping them for another.

Anyway, I have had the 301's running on the system since 1994, through this period the sound has been excellent, I have not heard a better “stereo” sound with as much power.

I know that does not necessarily make them the best speaker for a home theatre surround.
But I want the one system for both purposes.

I will be honest and say last night with some music played from foxtel through my Yamaha RX 460 170Watt Stereo Receiver, the 301’s were a louder fuller sound than the 901’s, but I put that down to the fact that:

301’s are 75Watt speakers compatible with 0-150Watt amps
901’s are 250Watt speakers compatible with 0-450Watt amps

As such the 901’s may have been a bit under powered, I may be wrong on this though.

Again, almost 20 years with the 301’s many times / parties playing so loud, but still perfectly clear with a really nice sound to the point you cannot be in the room, and never an issue ?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Not to be mean but I would say that you probably haven't had a lot of experience with other speakers outside of the 301's you've had for the past 20 years. That may be why you believe they sound so good. Bose are generally regarded very poorly by nearly everyone in the industry. I wish you luck getting the 901's to sound really good. The trick they use to diffuse the sound by having the rear firing drivers is exactly what contributes to their diffuse and somewhat lifeless sound. There are some guys here that use them for parties because the sound bounces all over the place, and a lot of bodies in the room won't be blocking the sound from them standing in front of the speaker(I think he has them hanging from the ceiling on chains too). They are really bad for HT and general music listening because imaging is more or less non-existent.

Even though you plan on using the Bose you may want to go around and do some listening to some other well regarded speakers. I think you would find out very quickly why we are so down on Bose. Plus, you never know what your missing out on unless you take the time to audition some alternatives.

All that being said I wish you luck with your purchase. If it sounds great to you then who am I to rain on your parade? (Even though I just did!)redface.gif

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page