How long can I use my vintage SNELL E111's - - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now I'm content with my snells for listening to CD's (just bought a Panny dmp-bdt Blu Ray for cd's right now, more later), but will be purchasing necessary equipment as I go forward in my quest for a HT and surround sound. I have an old (1989) receiver and I refurbed my SNells. They sound good w/just the radio and my old receiver.The panny will supply the cd quality I'm sure.

When I do buy a New AVR, are my speakers going to be obsolete??? Will they be too old to DO what the new AVR can audio wise or can I just add a Center speaker and the satelite back speakers for surround??
I know these are old speakers, but they are awesome for 2 signal play. IF I can keep and still get my other upgrades, it would help financially. But I can save up for more speakers or buy used. I am non-techie, but learn here. Please weigh in, I appreciate your advise.

the impossible happens everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 390
The speakers will be fine - they can also be used as surrounds in a 5.1 system.
Maybe you can find a single one, for use as a center - then get something else
for the surrounds.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 12 Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
As long as the surrounds are in good shape you can use them indefinitely. Unlike the rest of the audio/video technology, speakers are pretty much the same as they were 30 years ago. If they sound great, then keep them. If you can't find a third for center channel use then I would also relegate them to surround duty.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #4 of 12 Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Little confusion my part when yall speak of using them as "surrounds". Do you mean use my large snell loudspeakers as somelthing OTHER than the left/right speakers?
I hope to buy a New avr w/in next 6 months, not sure if I'll do 5.1 or 7.1.
FlyinfFool, I don't understand last sentence. It's me, i'm not used to the terminology, as I've only had a 2 signal stereo all these years. It sat in storage, I refurbed my speakers and can use my older AV, for now, to listen to cd's. Just wasn't sure IF my SNell's would still be used in my final configuration.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post

Thanks. Little confusion my part when yall speak of using them as "surrounds". Do you mean use my large snell loudspeakers as somelthing OTHER than the left/right speakers?

Yes, if it comes to that

post #6 of 12 Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

I hope to buy a New avr w/in next 6 months, not sure if I'll do 5.1 or 7.1.
FlyinfFool, I don't understand last sentence. It's me, i'm not used to the terminology, as I've only had a 2 signal stereo all these years. It sat in storage, I refurbed my speakers and can use my older AV, for now, to listen to cd's. Just wasn't sure IF my SNell's would still be used in my final configuration.
You're in a situation that a bunch of people have found themselves, me included. People here will argue about anything, but one thing most agree on is that for best sound experience with a 5.1 (or larger) system, you want the center to be matched to the left and right speakers. The center can be the dominant speaker in a surround setup.

So, what people do to save money when transitioning to a multi-channel surround setup from a 2-channel setup is use the existing 2 speakers as surrounds (less critical) and get new, matched LCR (left-center-right.)
debnova likes this.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-17-2012, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

^ What he said. The reason you want your front three
to be the same or at least timbre matched is because
the majority of movie soundtracks is contained the the
front left, center, and right channels. So if you get the
sound panning from left to right and your center channel
speaker is different, you will notice an abrupt change
in sound a it moves across from left, to center, to right.
I had a non-matching center and it was very distracting
for me while I was trying to watch a movie.
debnova likes this.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, that cleared it up!! The reputable place I got my Snells refurbed at said they could "help" me get my Left/Right speakers to match a center speaker when I was ready. I guess they'd run the specs or something. Is that gonna work?? They are a good business, around 35 yrs in Tampa. But, I'm not sure what it would take to get my snells to "match" a center. I do see a Snell center speaker for sale occassionally on Ebay (used, and newer than my snell floors ones). But they might not be appropriate, just cause their snells I'm guessing.
Yes, I've def heard of the three speakers being matched in timbre, etc. Makes sense and I will probably do that eventually. What are you thoughts on getting a center speaker that would match my snells??? Is it a hard process, impossible, etc.

My room is gonna be about 20 by 12 ft. I'm thinking maybe 5.1 would be fine.

Well, onward! When your'e trying to save money and build a system it certainly helps to come here. But I didn't want to settle on "surround sound in a box" (not all bad, but no first choice) and wanted to build with moderatly priced pieces instead of rushing to get something less.
Thanks again, appreciate the continued help. After this, I'll be learning about the new AVR I'll want. uh oh.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It's really tough to find a center from a different brand that will sound like your Snells. Even within the same manufacturer different lines can have very different sounds. I got extremely lucky and stumbled upon an Atlantic Technology 453C that I refurbed and it just happened to be a very close match for my DCM TimeFrame 600's. It was pure luck that it blended so well. I haven't heard your Snells so I couldn't even begin to suggest something that would complement them.
debnova likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I get that. But the SPeak Exchange where I refurbed them said THEY can, maybe with the equipment they have, etc it might help. Again, I'm not sure. Owner gets used/traded equipment in, too. Might work. Right now I'm enjoying the sound even on radio!! Been w/out a stereo for about 5 yrs.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-17-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

To : Zieg, flyingF, & fJ: Thank You so much. I got my new BD up and running - w yall's help- and my speakers sound AWESOME!! I'm now enjoying beautifull music again and it brings me a lot of joy. Didn't know how much I missed true stereo (was using a small boom box and or in car) and now I'm listening to my old music, and new. Makes me want to go out an buy a lot of cd's. ha. Next course will be the whole theatre thing, but Wanted to again, thank you for helping me even though I am clueless in a lot of the tech..... Appreciate it. Deb

post #12 of 12 Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To : Zieg, flyingF, & fJ: Thank You so much. I got my new BD up and running - w yall's help- and my speakers sound AWESOME!! I'm now enjoying beautifull music again and it brings me a lot of joy.

Happy for you, continue to enjoy!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page