Low Cost Home Theater Speakers with Optical Input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have a 42-inch LG television that only has the fiber optic digital output for audio. That's the dumbest idea ever for a low end LCD system, but that is aside from the point.

Most of our media is controlled via our home theater PC, which sends audio through the HDMI cable to the monitor (television).

It appears that most people must be purchasing a receiver setup that the Optical Input from the television would go into to feed a speaker system connected to the receiver.

However, I do not wish to have to purchase a receiver, have another piece of equipment that I have to go through to control my volume and clutter up the media region, or have to power yet another stand alone device.

I have another (smaller) HTPC system set up in another area. It consists of a PC with a TV tuner, a 2.1 speaker system, and DVI output to the monitor. It sounds fabulous, but it goes to a much smaller LCD, and is not the living room setup.

The speakers that came with the LG 42-inch television are fine for TV broadcasts, but the audio is nearly impossible to hear on shows recorded with better audio quality (Dolby or something like that).

So, I have been trying to find a way to buy a speaker system, but the crutch is that it has to have an optical input and I have not found a way to search for speakers by their inputs.

To date, I have only managed to find one system that accepts Optical Inputs: The Antec Soundscience Rockus 2.1 for just under $200.

Does anyone know of any other options? I'm sure we could ditch the TV and find something else, but that was a pretty significant purchase for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
buy a soundbar....or a optical to analog converter.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

Afro GT
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

buy a soundbar....or a optical to analog converter.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

How do I find a sound bar that takes optical inputs?

The link you gave above states:
IMPORTANT NOTE! This device will NOT decode 5.1-channel signals. It will ONLY convert 2-channel digital stereo (PCM) input signals to analog stereo output. This will not work with TVs that only output 5.1-channel digital signals!

I could be wrong, but if I understand it correctly, that is what the television is doing now. Buying that would turn any quality system into the same audio the television is already outputting. Right?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well wasn't your complaint "We have a 42-inch LG television that only has the fiber optic digital output for audio That's the dumbest idea ever for a low end LCD system, but that is aside from the point.
"

So my guess is what you wanted is analog stereo outputs on your TV? Is that right? If so that's only 2 channel anyway.

All these soundbars have optical inputs, they're pretty common on soundbars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882180066

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105467

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882005100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=soundbar&x=0&y=0
jp2code likes this.

Afro GT
Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Liked: 10
Not only Antec Soundscience Rockus 2.1 accepts optical input.. From 2.1 speaker systems, Edifier and Microlab also have digital inputs (not only optical, coaxial too) smile.gif You can learn more info about 2.1 speakers with optical input here
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 30
To me it sounds like you have your cable box set to output 5.1 sound and that's why things are almost inaudible. Try setting your cable box to always output stereo and see if that fixes the problem before spending money on speakers (which will exhibit the same problem if you are trying to listen to 5.1 from the cable box).
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Hey! I forgot to update this thread.

Big thanks go out to afrogt. I'd never even thought of using a Sound Bar.

I didn't care for the ones you'd linked to, but I did go with this 300W LG SoundBar, which I picked up for only $150 back on Black Friday:

LG NB3520A 300W Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer

As an added bonus, it also has a simple connector to plug up an external MP3 player!

And, BTW, my cable box consists of an aluminum antenna stuck up over my house pulling in UHF. The PC has a TV tuner and outputs the audio and video via a single HDMI port.

Thanks for all the help!
~Joe
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad it worked out for you. I'm not a soundbar fan at all. I prefer a receiver and 5 speakers w/subwoofer.

Afro GT
Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 AM

I can only suggest you Genius speakers Genius SP-HF2020 V2, its the updated version of Genius SP-HF2020. Optical in is exactly the thing which was updated from previous version - as it had digital coaxial in.

There is no subwoofer as it is 2.0 system, but it is 4-way - bottom 2 are woofers for low tones.
Therefore i wouldnt be afraid that the bass levels would be a problem... also for that price its a f***in bargain
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

I've already worked it out, but I do like seeing other options!

Do you have a link? I wasn't able to find any websites in English that pulled up with a search for "Genius SP-HF2020 V2".
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 AM

Here it is
http://www.geniusnet.com/wSite/ct?xItem=57403&ctNode=148&mp=1

found on amazon as well,, but i have ordered them in e-shop in czech republic, its quite spread here....on our local e-shop comparison site the 1st version of speakers won also award product of 2012...