Does anyone own the Kenwood KS-H52? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking online as these just popped up on craiglist near me for $100 comes with EQ and Tweeter Boxes and was wondering if they were worth it. I can only find "old school" setups that have them (at least that's what they say), but can't find any reviews and/or cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
They look like the big speakers that used to come with the stereo rack systems in the 90s. I used to be impressed bye them. I thought that they had great bass for rap music. I couldn't afford them at the time because I was just a kid and mom couldn't afford it at the time. I demoed these a few times at hifi stores and sears I think.. I remember some rack systems that had the 12 inch woofers that had these cost around 1,000 bucks. I remember hearing a better woofer system that had two 10 inch woofers in it I think and a better amp that had such powerful bass it hurt your chest feeling it. It was 1,500 dollars. I think that was the sale price. Kenwood used to make some decent sounding stuff. some of it didn't sound good, but a lot of it I liked better then fisher. Would the guy take 50 for them? I have seen a few times the whole stereo rack system with big speakers like that and kenwood receiver a,p cd player tape player for like $175.00 to 200 bucks on craigslist.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

They look like the big speakers that used to come with the stereo rack systems in the 90s. I used to be impressed bye them. I thought that they had great bass for rap music. I couldn't afford them at the time because I was just a kid and mom couldn't afford it at the time. I demoed these a few times at hifi stores and sears I think.. I remember some rack systems that had the 12 inch woofers that had these cost around 1,000 bucks. I remember hearing a better woofer system that had two 10 inch woofers in it I think and a better amp that had such powerful bass it hurt your chest feeling it. It was 1,500 dollars. I think that was the sale price. Kenwood used to make some decent sounding stuff. some of it didn't sound good, but a lot of it I liked better then fisher. Would the guy take 50 for them? I have seen a few times the whole stereo rack system with big speakers like that and kenwood receiver a,p cd player tape player for like $175.00 to 200 bucks on craigslist.

How do you think these would compare to nowaday speakers? I know some people say they prefer old school sound versus the newer speakers, but if you were to try and explain how they are different or rank them with what budget group speakers they would stand next to for todays recommended speakers to give me a general idea.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I buy a lot of older speakers from thrift stores, yardsales, and craigslist. most of the time I prefer the big older speakers for the bass. Some powered subwoofers are pretty impressive at filling a room with two small speakers though. I was so impressed with the bass from the energy veritas 6.2 speakers that I bought them. they are discontinued, but vanns might still have them. They had them on the site a few weeks ago. One of my favorite older speakers for big bass is a cerwin vega speaker with a 12 or 15 inch woofer in it. Something about the kenwood speakers always drew me in. I think that a 100.00 is high for those. type in kenwood on search in electronics. see if someone is selling those speakers with a receiver and cd playe or cheaper. if you really want to pay a 100.00 go for it, but maybe he would go cheaper. I have heard some smaller speakers like b&w have good bass so yes new speakers can have good bass also, but for the most part for huge bass I prefer the old big speaker.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

some people say that some older speakers have lower spl= sound pressure level ratings. It will take more watts on the receiver to play it louder I think. If a speaker is in the 90s spl rating, it plays louder at lower volumes on the receiver. I am going to bed so I will talk to you about this more later.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that when these were around people were using dolby pro logic surround sound receivers.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-07-2012, 08:52 PM

I have a pair on eBay as we speak. You must look quickly. There are 12 people looking at them.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page