Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 460 Old 05-19-2002, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
This thread is intended for HSU Sub owners to help one another with their wonderful sub. With any luck, you will find HUS Sub employees helping to answer your questions.

Please remember...This thread is not intended to promote the line...but support it. It is with this spirit this thread has been opened.

It also is not intended to debate the line or be used to do A/B comparisons.

Thank you.

(This is something new we will try. Thus any manufacture is welcome to have us open a thread for the product as long as it will be for supporrt.)

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 460 Old 05-19-2002, 09:01 PM

Liked: 10
I applaud AVS for this move.
post #3 of 460 Old 05-19-2002, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great idea David. Being a Hsu owner for over 9 years I still have questions. And the question is.....My HT/family room is a rectangle. 11 feet wide and 22 feet long. The speakers and monitor are placed in the short end firing forward. The problem is one of the long walls opens up into the kitchen at the 9 foot mark. The kitchen itself has more volume than the HT room and also has openings into the dining room and center hall. Currently My 2 Hsu's are corner loaded behind each of my def tech bp-10s . Because of this open area into the kitchen would it be better to place both subs in 1 corner and if so would it be preferable to do so behind the left/kitchen/side wall or the full lenth wall. Right now I am fairly happy with the output but keep thinking it could be better. I realize I should do my own experimentation, however, It would be alot of work and I hope for a shortcut:). By the way the subs are being powered by 2 channels of my Sherbourn 5/1500 which puts out 200wpc at 8 ohms and 300wpc at 4 and I am using the bass optimizer box.

Frank

Frank
post #4 of 460 Old 05-20-2002, 06:50 AM

Way to go David, this makes great sense!

Two-Channel Forever! Anthem Amp 2 and Pre 2, Modulus 3A and Belles 150A Hotrod, SF CD-1, DH Labs Silver Sonic throughout, Tube traps in corners, ACI Jaguars with ACI Titan II subs. Family room: NAD L40 with ACI Emeralds and Force sub.
post #5 of 460 Old 05-20-2002, 11:10 AM

Frank, call up Hsu Research, they can help you
post #6 of 460 Old 05-20-2002, 03:24 PM

wow this is a great idea THANKS

So where are the HSU VT3 reviews? :) :) :)
post #7 of 460 Old 05-20-2002, 04:37 PM

I think SeanD should come in here post his thoughts (he got dual vtf3).
post #8 of 460 Old 05-20-2002, 05:46 PM

Thanks for thinking of me flatfooted, here goes:
Click here
post #9 of 460 Old 05-20-2002, 06:17 PM

THANKS Sean, nice to hear your thoughts

did you try OUTPUT MAX mode?

i found the other HSU VT3 review from bary

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=VTF3

Keep them coming!!! :)
post #10 of 460 Old 05-20-2002, 09:37 PM

Billy,
I haven't tried max output mode. As far as I'm concerned I am definately getting enough output. :) I figured I'd milk the subs for their lowest of lows.
post #11 of 460 Old 05-21-2002, 10:40 AM

This is probally a generic question on subs, but since I am specifically refering to the HSU VTF-3....

In the back of this monster are the speaker level inputs and the line level inputs.

The line level inputs (not amped) are RCA type jacks.

There are two of them.

The back kinda looks line this:

Line
L O <- rca jack
R O <- rca jack
Mono

My denon 3802 has one line level subwoofer output. I'm assuming I'm supposed to place the subwoofer out from the receiver into the bottom RCA rack labeled "mono", right? So why are there two?

Feel free to correct me if I mis-stated anything.

Thanks.
post #12 of 460 Old 05-21-2002, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goodconsumer

The back kinda looks line this:

Line
L O <- rca jack
R O <- rca jack
Mono

My denon 3802 has one line level subwoofer output. I'm assuming I'm supposed to place the subwoofer out from the receiver into the bottom RCA rack labeled "mono", right? So why are there two?

Feel free to correct me if I mis-stated anything.

Thanks.
Those two are for people whose receiver/pre does not have subwoofer out. Instead they split the signal from a source, or most likely from the pre. Hope this helps.
post #13 of 460 Old 05-22-2002, 03:45 PM

David in this thread was wondering if the VTF series surface is really black. I though I should move it to this thread because this is now the official support thread. Many people have thought that the surface was grey, and not black, and that it might not match their equipment. I think this is because of the way the VTF-2 is almost always shot bathed in light due to studio lights, flash photography, etc., so I am putting up this picture that was shot in more natural light conditions that should better illustrate it.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/graphics/vtf3_context.jpg

Sasha
post #14 of 460 Old 05-22-2002, 04:17 PM

Regarding Franks question about positioning two subwoofers,

I asked Dr. Hsu about this, and it is best to place the two subs on the full length wall *without* the opening. In Franks case, this would be the right front corner, because the kitchen opens up on the left. I've heard this gives a 1-2 dB more and slightly cleaner output than when the subs are on opposite walls, but have not had a chance to test this using measurements.

Sasha

Sasha
post #15 of 460 Old 05-22-2002, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Frank,

From what I understand, if you are sitting within the 9 foot mark before the room opens up, putting the sub on each corner and sitting symmetrically room width wise would cause odd order room width modes to cancel each other out. At the same time, you should still get the same room gain as if both subs are in the same corner. If you move out of center of room position, the modal cancellation would be gone, along with the equal energy gain from 2 subs.
post #16 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This really is a great idea for a thread and couldn't have come at a better time for me. I am now a very happy HSU owner because I just bought my VTF-2. Just one. :)

I do have two questions though, which relates to goodconsumer's question. I have a single subwoofer out on my receiver but on the back of HSU there are two line level inputs. Do I use the one marked MONO (the bottom one) or the top one? Does it really matter at all anyway? Why would anyone want to split a mono signal into a stereo signal? Ala "Y-Adapter"?

My second question relates to the X-Over. I have my set at 12 O'Clock. I think that is 60 hz. Will I really hear difference if I change that? Say make it 40 hz or even 90 hz?

Thanks and once again I think this is a great idea for a thread. :)

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #17 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

lax01,

If you have a single sub output, just plug it into the mono input of the hsu.

Usually, one would bypass the sub's crossover if the receiver/preamp has bass management. It would usually be fixed at 80 or 100hz. The crossover is mainly used for 2ch bass-augmentation mode where you set the xo freq to where your main speakers starts to roll off, thereby adding extension to your mains.
post #18 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry one more question. I have heard of filter and unfilter line level outs. What are these and how do you know if you have these? Thanks for all your help! :)

Josh
post #19 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 05:33 PM

I love my VTF-2 except for the Auto-Shutoff turning off during silent periods.

Is there a way to defeat this feature or even better, extend the delay before it turns off?

Thanks,

Shajan
post #20 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 07:00 PM

Shajan,
What level do you have your sub output at on your receiver? If it is set too low you might want to try turning it up a bit and turning down the volume on the sub itself to offset it.
post #21 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 07:15 PM

Sean, thanks for responding.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing currently as a workaround but wanted to know if there were any other tweaks for it.

Regards,

Shajan
post #22 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

lax01,

Filtered line level out are line level output from the sub to you amp in which the low freq is filtered out so that your main speakers does not have to produce the low freq. It is usually used when you hook your sub with the speakers instead of using its own dedicated LFE/sub output from your receiver/preamp. They are useless since:

-If passive, the crossover freq will be wholly dependent on the input impedence of your main amp, and the input impedence of an amp would have a factor of 10 from 10k to 100k, making the crossover freq vary by a factor of 10. Its 1st order rolloff isn't too effective either at removing bass from the main speakers.

-If active, it is usually of the lowest quality part.

If by chance the filtered line level out is of the right freq and you don't care about sound degration by it, then you can use it.

This feature should not make or break one's decision for a sub.

Hsu could modify the Bass Optimizer so that it could act as a high quality active 2nd order high pass filter with 2 seperate crossver freq defined by the user. This is a much better solution if one needs it:

http://store.yahoo.com/hsusubs/bassoptimizer.html
post #23 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 07:37 PM

You might want to send an email to Dr.Hsu.
post #24 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

It says in the Manual that it takes 30 minutes or more to shut off. How long are you leaving it without activity?

Josh
post #25 of 460 Old 05-23-2002, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lax01
This really is a great idea for a thread and couldn't have come at a better time for me. I am now a very happy HSU owner because I just bought my VTF-2. Just one. :)

I do have two questions though, which relates to goodconsumer's question. I have a single subwoofer out on my receiver but on the back of HSU there are two line level inputs. Do I use the one marked MONO (the bottom one) or the top one? Does it really matter at all anyway? Why would anyone want to split a mono signal into a stereo signal? Ala "Y-Adapter"?

My second question relates to the X-Over. I have my set at 12 O'Clock. I think that is 60 hz. Will I really hear difference if I change that? Say make it 40 hz or even 90 hz?

Thanks and once again I think this is a great idea for a thread. :)
Lax01,

I would use a good Y adapter to split the signal and use both LR input of the sub. This is to eliminate any "doubt" of getting less gain. It will cost you less than $20.
For the crosseover setting, you can use help of a calibration disc (AVIA or VE) on getting the right setting. What are your speakers/mains? What are their frequency range (at -3db)?

FF
post #26 of 460 Old 05-24-2002, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

flatfooted: Thanks but what is "less gain"?

The guy at the store was very "committed" to selling (well actually he gave me a cable for free that was worth $25) me only a mono to mono cable. He said the mono to stereo cables are just splitting the signal, which is un-neaded. My main speakers are powered Towers by PolkAudio. They are the RT1000i's and have a frequency range of:

Overall Frequency Response: 25Hz - 26kHz
Lower -3dB Limit: 36Hz
Upper -3dB Limit: 25kHz

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs....y=3&speaker=21

I got that info right there ^. I think I will just leave it set at an overall X-over of 60Hz because I have really turned the subs down on the front channels so that I could use the sub fully. Thanks for all of your help!
:)

Josh
post #27 of 460 Old 05-24-2002, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lax01
flatfooted: Thanks but what is "less gain"?

The guy at the store was very "committed" to selling (well actually he gave me a cable for free that was worth $25) me only a mono to mono cable. He said the mono to stereo cables are just splitting the signal, which is un-neaded. My main speakers are powered Towers by PolkAudio. They are the RT1000i's and have a frequency range of:

Overall Frequency Response: 25Hz - 26kHz
Lower -3dB Limit: 36Hz
Upper -3dB Limit: 25kHz

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs....y=3&speaker=21

I got that info right there ^. I think I will just leave it set at an overall X-over of 60Hz because I have really turned the subs down on the front channels so that I could use the sub fully. Thanks for all of your help!
:)
less output/volume. If your hsu has a <i>dedicated</i> mono/LFE input, I think you don't have to get the Y adapter. If not, then it is worthwhile to try, and see if the difference if any.

Are you using your receiver crossover (at 60hz) and bypass the sub's XO? Try to set your mains full range on your receiver and use LFE input of the sub crossed at 45 - 55Hz.

FF
post #28 of 460 Old 05-25-2002, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe the VTF 2 has a 5 min auto shutoff. During a movie passage containing a scene with a lengthly dialogue or scene that has no low frequency information, sure enough after 5 minutes or so you can hear the click when the VTF 2 puts itself in standby mode, then when an action scene begins the VTF 2 will skip the first few bass notes while turning itself on. For the most part, this delay is not noticeable (sometimes it is)but it would be nice to have a longer timeframe before entering stanbye mode.

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
post #29 of 460 Old 05-25-2002, 06:13 AM

Are you sure about that? I recall reading somewhere that the new VTF-2's have a 30 minute auto shutoff period.
post #30 of 460 Old 05-25-2002, 12:02 PM

All VTF-2s built after April 2001 have a 30 minute auto shutoff. Not sure about other builds, but turning up the surround processor subwoofer level and turning down the VTF-2 will probably lessen the shutdowns.

Also, most people would want to run a single mono RCA type audio cable to the mono input on the VTF-2. A 'Y' adapter is not needed--just a single cable. Some surround receivers offer two subwoofer outputs, and that confuses people into getting a 'Y' adapter. But I can see no advantage to that, and Dr. Hsu says a mono cable is just as good. I think the two outputs is more of a convenience feature when you have mutliple subwoofers.

Sasha

Sasha
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page