Need to get new good cheap computer speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im new to these boards. Been wanting to increase my knowledge on audio, video, home theater, etc. This is a good time to start that now that my speakers are breaking down.

So i got Logitech Z4 2.1 speakers with a subwoofer. I dunno exactly how old these are, but they were around in 2007. For some reason on amazon they charge $600 for a new set. I dunno why the **** they'd want someone to pay that far up the ass for speakers as old as this. There are used ones thankfully for much cheaper.

Since this product is at least 5 years old, i wanna know if i can better speakers for a similar price i got them at, which is around 70-90 dollars. I really wanna spend 40-70. I've done a google search but i only get really cheap speakers or $100-$300 speakers.

I need speakers that would be good for music, games, movies on my computer, and a gaming console. A headphone jack is a must. I dont have a huge desk so only need a left and right speaker with a subwoofer at the bottom. Price range is 40-70, but would consider anything up to 100. I really dont wanna spend that much, i dont need anything fancy for now. Just something similar to my Logitech Z4s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The Behringer MS16 powered speakers are $75.99 on Amazon. You might want to consider those.

I have the Audioengine A2 speakers which are really excellent, but they are $200.

You may be able to continue to use the subwoofer you have now.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a set of Logitech X-530's for sale. They're used and a few years old but I'm just getting rid of them because I upgraded. Nothing wrong with them. I was asking $25 on CL. So, $25+shipping and they're yours.

Newegg.com has a lot of 2.1 systems as well.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
commsysman - ima keep those behringers in mind, thx

hockeyrcks - i googled the x530s, they look sick. my desk isnt that big so i barely have enough space for 5 speakers. i dont wanna put them on my wall. if the wires are long then i can place them on my mini dresser or something. also my computer is custom built from 07, i dunno if it can handle those speakers. im still on windows xp here lol

one thing i wanna know is what to look for in speakers. since im on a tight budget, i need my new speakers to have specs similar to the z4's. they got 40watts so i dont wanna go much under that. maybe 37-38. i saw similar speakers to the x530s, i think they're x230s had 32 watts. dont want that

just thought of this. is there a huge difference in sound between 40watts and 25-32 watts?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeesh View Post

one thing i wanna know is what to look for in speakers.

Generally with speakers there are potentially lots of things to look for, but with cheap computer-type speakers, usually not much is known for sure, and specs are usually not that meaningful.
Quote:

since im on a tight budget, i need my new speakers to have specs similar to the z4's. they got 40watts so i dont wanna go much under that. maybe 37-38. i saw similar speakers to the x530s, i think they're x230s had 32 watts. dont want that

Frankly, I don't even know what all of these specs really mean for computer speakers. It only takes a few watts to make most speakers loud enough for nearfield use.
Quote:

just thought of this. is there a huge difference in sound between 40watts and 25-32 watts?

Generally no, it depends a lot more on the other characteristics of the speakers, which typically are very poor in the case of computer speakers. Some speakers that are much higher in quality even though they are lower in wattage (according to the specifications, at least) have already been mentioned, but they would be lacking in bass without a subwoofer.

If you'd prefer to have a prepackaged 2.1 system of relatively good quality, then consider the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-m10-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system%2C-black&cPath=21_24&products_id=197&osCsid=cf966c6a2d58d7456028504c3828ddda

I realize that they cost more than you had requested, but if you want quality, then this is about as good as you can get for 2.1 computer/multimedia speakers that are anywhere near your price range. If you wouldn't mind refurbished equipment, then there is also this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6219066307P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM6219066307
post #6 of 7 Old 06-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

i need my new speakers to have specs similar to the z4's.

The only thing less reliable than manufacturer's specs for computer speakers is specs for car stereos.
Quote:

is there a huge difference in sound between 40watts and 25-32 watts?

The difference between 32W and 40W, on identical drivers, is small and audible but, on
these imaginary but identical drivers, 40W will sound twice as loud as 20W. However,
comparing the power output of two different computer speakers, especially from two
different manufacturers, is meaningless. The drivers aren't the same and the amps
may be rated differently.

The differences are only apparent upon listening and you can't tell which one's better
without hearing them.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
Received my Swan M10s (black) today and I am blown away by the musicality of them. Admittedly I am not an audiophile but they sure sound better than my Klipsch Promedia 2.1s!

$119 from Audioinsider.com.

450Received my Swan M10s (black) today and I am blown away by the musicality of them. Admittedly I am not an audiophile but they sure send better than my Klipsch Promedia 2.1s!

Samsung UN65ES6500
Onkyo TX-NR809
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590
Boston Acoustic VR 30 Fronts
Boston Acoustic VR 20 Surrounds
Boston Acoustic VR10 Center
Energy ESW-310 Subwoofer
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page