Tiny rubber feet - make a difference? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Basically, I have the Infinity Primus PC350 center channel speaker and it came with these four tiny little rubber feet. In practice, I'm guessing it helps to decouple the speaker from the panel I have it placed on (which is attached between two regular wooden cabinets from Ikea). The space between my center channel and HDTV I was trying to make as minimal as possible, not to trade-off sound (height of center speaker) for comfort of watching. I overcompensated a little and literally, without the rubber feet, it fits. Do those little rubber feet make a difference or not? It would suck if it does as it would kinda defeat the purpose of all my effort but if so, how much so? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 AM

Liked: 10
I use my PC351 without the rubber feet. It might help keep you from scratching the finish on a nice cabinet, but it won't make any difference from a sound quality perspective.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM

Liked: 19
If the center channel starts rattling the cabinet then I would use the feet. If it doesn't then it doesn't matter really. Good point above about scratching the speaker and furniture finishes.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
If your speaker is rattling the cabinet replace it.

post #5 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 433
There is no right or wrong answer here - however, to me it makes a difference.
If you do not have room for the feet, then do not worry about it.smile.gif Enjoy!

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 16 Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, thanks guys. But, for instance, foam would make a difference right? And it would be for the better. So even though the rubber feet would be the equivalent of like a fraction of that, like a tenth, doesn't it still make a difference? I can't enjoy unless I can be completely convinced otherwise. XD

There's no noticeable rattling or buzzing.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post

If the center channel starts rattling the cabinet then I would use the feet.

I used to have rattling issues (in a previous system), but a few bits of Sorbothane cleared that up. It probably helps keep the bass as clean as possible, as well, although I haven't done any critical A/B comparisons to verify the magnitude of any improvement versus other factors (it's probably small, but I had to take care of the rattle in any case). I use this stuff to help dampen vibrations in amateur astronomy, too, and it has an easily noticeable effect for those purposes.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

If your speaker is rattling the cabinet replace it.

Why would he want to replace his wooden cabinet just because the speaker was rattling it? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

The Sorbothane seems a better idea wink.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Why would he want to replace his wooden cabinet just because the speaker was rattling it? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Just keep in mind that it's not necessarily a cure-all for rattling. For example, if the cabinet rattles from the bass soundwaves in the air, not just those transmitted from direct physical coupling with the speakers, then the Sorbothane won't completely fix the problem. It should help to a greater or lesser degree, though, and can practically eliminate minor problems--in terms of absorbing energy it's like rubber or silicone on steroids. In my current home theater, I still have to use some QuakeHold (equivalent to Blu-Tack) to keep a couple of items on shelves from rattling or moving around, and they're in a different part of the room. smile.gif
post #10 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

Yes, tear the thing down - I do not like wood touching wood.smile.gif
I am not a fan of bad vibrations.cool.gif However regular rubber bumpons/feet, are enough for me.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #11 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Liked: 11
I use a sorbothane pads under the speaker stands on the hardwood floor with great results. I think that as someone stated above that will help you out, just choose the desired thickens of the pad.
A cheaper solution is to use a kitchen liner (those soft rubberized ones) in color you desire. Place double size of those and this probably will eliminate the vibrations too but not sure (depends on the speaker weight).

cool.gif
post #12 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, although based on the replies, I feel the constant need to repeat: there are no vibration issues. Because of the way I have the shelf isolated between the wooden cabinets, it doesn't seem to be an issue. My one and only question and concern is less about interfering/coupled vibrations creating potential holes/spikes in the frequency response and more about whether or not (if the previous doesn't seem to be an issue) the tiny rubber feet make a difference in sound quality in whatever other possible ways. E.g., the low frequencies may project more and there may be less standing waves around that area. Could those rubber feet really potentially improve the sound in that specific a way to any significant degree? Query: wooden speaker with contact to decently isolated wooden shelf vs. wooden speaker with contact through four small rubber feet less than 1/4" in height. Go! Lol...

Even if my problem was rattling, I couldn't solve this before having to remount the shelf a second time but this time slightly lower. As I mentioned, the reason for my question and the issue here is regarding that tiny bit of difference in space which would allow my wall-mounted television to fit in its place. Adding the rubber feet and placing the speaker an inch lower, assuming there's an understanding that I have the most perfect and most incredible ear, would I think to myself, "Hey, voices sound clearer and the tones are less boomy?" Try not think too specifically to my case and think of it more in the lines of a controlled experiment within the parameters mentioned. What would be potential differences, why, and how significant? I sincerely appreciate all responses.

PS- Please don't mention that I'm over-analyzing though because that's just my nature and there hasn't been a case where there has been an insufficient amount of info. Only, I ended up having to spend most of the time figuring it out myself. In this case, I just think this is a known and simple enough phenomenon that there would be a substantial amount of easily regurgitated info about it. I was hoping that some knowledgeable enough folk could do this for me. I did get useful information about vibrations though so thanks guys for that! smile.gif
post #13 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

PS- Please don't mention that I'm over-analyzing though because that's just my nature and there hasn't been a case where there has been an insufficient amount of info.

No one would think that here. It's the Audio Video Science forum, and these are the kinds of things people like to talk about smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #14 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

Could those rubber feet really potentially improve the sound in that specific a way to any significant degree?
Not even to an insignificant degree. All they can do is prevent the shelf and speaker from vibrating against each other.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-24-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No one would think that here. It's the Audio Video Science forum, and these are the kinds of things people like to talk about smile.gif

Well, I'm really glad to hear that. Thanks. I only mention it though because that has been said here already, lol, more than once. Having your thought, I was a little thrown off by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Not even to an insignificant degree. All they can do is prevent the shelf and speaker from vibrating against each other.

For some reason this was a pretty convincing statement. I think I could be at ease in mind with that, lol. Thanks.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 PM

Liked: 10
in certain configurations. such as if a speaker unit is in full contact with a cabinet, there can be a very noticable difference. This is due to the sound waves resonating through the cabinet - mainly lower frequencies. Rubber feet in this case would make a difference as it would a act as an insulator. However, good speakers are designed to produce rich sound anyway so use of feet should not ever cause a loss, but only gains.

I have seen certain setups where furniture has lowered the quality of sound, low end. That's why stands are always preferable.

If your furniture is heavy and well made, it should be fine. If it has a thin, flimsy and hollow feel, then I would use rubber feet. You don't want the boxy effect...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page