Sound effects WAY louder than dialogue... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can watch a movie, and if I have the dialogue at the perfect volume to hear it, but if theres any sound effect, like explosions or a waterfall, its WAY too loud. What do I adjust to even the dialogue and sound effects?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Are your speakee levels set properly? Does your receiver have autosetup and did you run it?

And remember that movies have a wide dynamic range. An explosion should sound louder than dialog. smile.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Its definately too loud. The explosions and firearms are 10X the dialogue. I would like to decrease that to 5X smile.gif. If you have the Cowboys and Aliens movie? When the drunk cattleman is talking, then goes to the river to pull his pants down to take a dump? Then the alien fighter ships open fire? The explosion almost blows my speakers up. Thats an example, but its any loud sound effect. Like you said, I probably have to turn everything down but the center channel spearker.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

Its definately too loud. The explosions and firearms are 10X the dialogue. I would like to decrease that to 5X smile.gif. If you have the Cowboys and Aliens movie? When the drunk cattleman is talking, then goes to the river to pull his pants down to take a dump? Then the alien fighter ships open fire? The explosion almost blows my speakers up. Thats an example, but its any loud sound effect. Like you said, I probably have to turn everything down but the center channel spearker.

Did you set your speakers up correctly to 75dB each?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Are you using Blu-ray? And what is the playback system? You may be in need of some sort of dynamic range processing. Depending on the system, different options might be available.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 PM

Liked: 10
There are receivers with features built in to fix this to some extent. Look into receivers with Audyssey Dynamic Volume or a similar system.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It sounds like your centre speaker is being drowned out by the rest of your system, you might want to check to your speaker levels and adjust manually to compensate. If your receiver has an auto calibration function then use that.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I can watch a movie, and if I have the dialogue at the perfect volume to hear it, but if theres any sound effect, like explosions or a waterfall, its WAY too loud. What do I adjust to even the dialogue and sound effects?

You need to give an overview of your setup before anyone can help you properly fix the problem. Is this a 5.1 setup? What receiver do you have? What models are your front L/R and center speakers?
post #9 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have the Yamaha RX-V371. Front, Center, Surrounds, and subwoofer. Recent movie, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence. The hitmen have the boy, then Ghost Rider comes ups in the motorcycle, which is 10X louder than the dialogue. Basically any scene with loud sound effects are TOO loud. The Center speaker is the dialogue, so what I should do is adjust everything else, including the subwoofer, right?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

The Center speaker is the dialogue, so what I should do is adjust everything else, including the subwoofer, right?
First it would be good to confirm post #4 wrt setup calibration.

Then, try turning on Adaptive DRC as described on page 45 of the manual.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
D_M

Liked: 17
I tried to take a look at the US RX-V371 manual, but the site wants me to register. I found a EU manual online, I highly doubt that there are going to be setup differences. You need to go to the section of your manual that is titled "controlling the volume of each speaker" , "Manually setting speaker distance" and "Generating test tones". You could set the level by ear, but you should set your system up using a SPL meter, a tripod, and a tape measure. All the parts together might cost a total of $70. If you decide to buy the equipment, just google " calibrating my sound system with an SPL meter", you should get tons of references.

meter
http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-Analog-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B000LR169Q/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341949062&sr=1-10&keywords=Sound+Level+Meter

tripod
http://www.amazon.com/Vista-Explorer-60-Inch-Lightweight-Tripod/dp/B000V7AF8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341949123&sr=1-1&keywords=tripod
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page