Can anyone provide recent feedback on Nate's Audio T5 speakers (u2 Mudslide)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the only review I've been able to find was Mudslide's thread on 10/1/10 - 1/31/11.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi GlenDBA,

Nate's Audio, I think, is pretty much a one-man operation at this time. Nevertheless, he has garnered praise for both his monitor (True 5) and his tower speakers. I believe you can find more information and reviews (brief) linked to on his website. I think these reviews were from northeast audio club meets. To tell the truth, the only reason I was turned on to them was by Frank Van Alstine (AVAHifi)...who spoke highly of them and recommends them. When we decided to put them in our ID stand-mount speaker comparo GTG, I had a chance to hear them. I doubt few others have. But that's the way it is with new, startup operations. You'll find more information on the rather formal GTG comparo at this place (my screen name on Audioholics is 'Tomorrow') ...
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/67150-2010-great-northwest-gtg.html

The T5's arrived the week after the comparo. So I had only an opportunity to compare them with a pair of Ascend Sierra 1's. Unfortunately, being how we sent the other speakers back, only AverageJoe has heard them besides me. I A/B'ed them in my office/listening setup. If you've listened to or heard about the Sierra's, you know they are special and a value. When you look at the GTG thread, I found almost everything in the results (see posts #87 for the criteria and post #95 for the results) about the Sierra 1's also applies to the T5's. There is one notable exception. I found the T5's to be a bit smoother in the high mids and top end. That was something I was searching for...along with value...I couldn't afford most of the other speakers, all terrific, that were at the comparo.

And that's how I ended up with perhaps one of America's few pairs of Nate's Audio True 5's. I hope Nate, who seems to be a terrific guy, keeps plugging away at the business of building speakers. I think he has some talent.

The usual caveat applies...namely YMMV...but I'm REALLY happy with my T5's!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

...a little post script...

Since buying the T5's, I have become a huge fan of SB Acoustics drivers (SB Acoustics are used in the T5's). I think they are special and another great value item.

MARGARITAS,
post #4 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Mudslide.

There really isn't much "feedback" information on Nate's website. Even his Awards and Testimonial pages are blank.

I know he's a "one man show', but some other people must have purchased thse speakers. Otherwise, I doubt if he'd still be in business (which would be a shame, based on your review alone).
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

In fact, Mudslide, your wonderful review (and followup) are not on Nate's website either!
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenDBA View Post

In fact, Mudslide, your wonderful review (and followup) are not on Nate's website either!

I emailed a link to the review at one time. I thought he'd like it and might use it. I don't know much about what Nate does other than speaker building. But I'd guess it's not web page building or marketing. wink.gif But he just might be really busy doing a daytime job. Dunno. I took a flyer on these and was impressed. I wish he'd do more...but it's also a mighty competitive field. Perhaps he folded up his tent????

What application are you contemplating for some bookshelf speakers? Or were you simply curious about the T5's for curiosity sake? smile.gif The T5's have a 30 day return policy if you want to try them. They are built to go anywhere...but of course benefit from optimum away-from-walls placement. Mine are within 8" of corners and sound great...including imaging. In fact they image better than my Aerial Acoustics 7B's. (But that's probably to be expected with small bookshelf jobbers.) I've added a 10" dual driver sealed sub and I get all the frequency response, drive, dynamics, and clarity I need for my eclectic musical needs.

MARGARITAS,
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the followup Mudslide. I sent an email to Nate yesterday... and he just replied while writing this AVS post. So he is still in business.

btw... I'd like to replace my two old Design Acoustics PS-10 speakers i use for 2.0 stereo and HT listening.

Have to wait to see if I get money back from contractor who was supposed to repair a lot of hail storm damage to my house. He's got $16,000 of my money. Insurance paid me first and I had to give him 1/2 of the estimate ($16,000) because of having to order quite a few new windows and a patio door that were damaged. That was July 2011. I did get a lawyer, and the guy is still living at the same address so I do have SOME hope (but not holding my breath either). mad.gif

Enough babling. Have a great weekend everyone smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Glen,

Please report as updates are available. I, for one, would like to know how it's going with Nate and/or how you like his speakers.

Best,

Mud

MARGARITAS,
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page