Outdoor speakers - Polk Audio Atrium 6, DefTech AW5500, Klipsch AW525 or PSB CS500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I am choosing outdoor speakers, for cover patio and I am deciding between these speakers Polk Audio Atrium 6, DefTech AW5500, Klipsch AW525 or PSB CS500.

Could you compare these speakers and alternatively suggest best one on your own opinion and experiencies?

Thank you very much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Addition:

Patio has about 15 x 20 ft.

I would like good sound quality and don't need to project the music to the rest of the yard so it's generally low - medium listening levels.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 481
If your budget will allow - look at the PSB CS1000
http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=222:psb-cs1000-outdoorindoor-loudspeakers&catid=38:equipment&Itemid=2

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I have only heard the Polk...but when I asked that very question, several months ago, someone posted that the Def Tech AW5500 were outstanding and had held up very well to the elements!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #5 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I already read this review about PSB CS1000, but CS1000 is realy too huge for me. CS500 looks similar but is sealed (not bass reflex) and it could be big difference in sound, I think.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVhifi View Post

Thanks, I already read this review about PSB CS1000, but CS1000 is realy too huge for me. CS500 looks similar but is sealed (not bass reflex) and it could be big difference in sound, I think.

You are talking about a 15x20 area - and you say the PSB is too big???

post #7 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

I have only heard the Polk...but when I asked that very question, several months ago, someone posted that the Def Tech AW5500 were outstanding and had held up very well to the elements!

Thanks, do you have link for this thread?
post #8 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You are talking about a 15x20 area - and you say the PSB is too big???

Yes, 15 x 20 but foot (not meter;-). Do you think, it is big area for CS500 and CS1000 is more suitable? I dont know, but what I read, many people use AW6500 for much bigger places.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, 15 x 20 but foot (not meter;-). Do you think, it is big area for CS500 and CS1000 is more suitable? I dont know, but what I read, many people use AW6500 for much bigger places.

I know you are talking about feet - I would still choose the CS1000 for
overall sound coverage - however, it is your decision.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I know you are talking about feet - I would still choose the CS1000 for
overall sound coverage - however, it is your decision.

Yes, I understand, but these the biggest type of outdoor speakers (Polk Atrium 7, DefTech AW6500, Klipsch AW650 and PSB CS1000) are too big in aesthetic view for our patio and I think my wife kill me for it...-)) It is, why I am choosing between second one from these speakers brands...
post #11 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, I understand, but these the biggest type of outdoor speakers (Polk Atrium 7, DefTech AW6500, Klipsch AW650 and PSB CS1000) are too big in aesthetic view for our patio and I think my wife kill me for it...-)) It is, why I am choosing between second one from these speakers brands...

Then, I would go off your list with PSB or Definitive.

Or, not on your list
Atlantic Tech
http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Technology-AW-424-P-WHT-All-Weather-Speakers/dp/B000FE5RGI

Boston Voyager 5
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542947208

post #12 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

And what about Polk, what type of Atrium you know? Are you satisfied?

Please do you have link to the thread where did you ask for similar question?
post #13 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Then, I would go off your list with PSB or Definitive.
Or, not on your list
Atlantic Tech
http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Technology-AW-424-P-WHT-All-Weather-Speakers/dp/B000FE5RGI
Boston Voyager 5
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542947208

Thank you very much for your help.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm an integrator and recently completed a large 100ft x 200 ft back yard project for a very wealthy client in Beverly Hills who initially wanted "state of the art, whatever it costs!". His house backed into hillside on three sides creating the acoustics of a natural amphitheater. He wanted the system to do double duty for music and be a multi-channel backyard theater with an 18 foot screen and projector to be set up for parties.

I originally suggested fourteen Terra AC17e speakers and four Terra AC-Subs with eleven Crown amps ($17,500) for the music system and theater surround speakers supplemented by two actively powered QSC K-12's and two QSC K-Sub's for the main theater Center + R/L ($3,500). He decided he'd rather be more budget conscious and try to find the best sound for the best price. I had him purchase and audition one pair each of Def Tech AW6500's ($199-$250), PSB CS1000 ($225-$275), Klipsch AW-650's ($250-$350), and Terra AC16e ($350-$400).

We ran three dedicated 20 amp circuits to an equipment rack in a sheltered closet off his pool area with 12-4 oxygen free copper speaker wire runs (approx. 9-10awg each) to 6 spots on his house, 8 spots on the surrounding hills and 4 spots in corner locations for subwoofers. We purchased 7 Audio Source AMP 300's (150w x 2 @ 8ohm) for the speakers and 4 Dayton Audio Sub Amps (225w x 1 @ 8ohm) for the subs. We used 3 Sonos Connects (House, Hill, Subs) to feed stereo music to input 1 on the AMP 300's, and a Oppo BDP93 Blu Ray Player through an Emotiva preamp to feed the theater surround sound to input 2 on the AMP 300's.

After about four weeks of A/B listening to each pair of speakers in various locations we decided on the DefTech AW6500's for the house, Polk Atrium 8's for the hills and Polk Atrium Subs for LFE.

The Terra's had the most defined high's, clean midrange and the least amount of bass. However, they were 30-50% more expensive than next speaker considered. The lack of bass made a matching Terra Sub essential putting the combined price way above the competition.

The DefTech speakers were comparable to the PSB in midrange and slightly cleaner in highs. However, when the DefTech's were mounted on the roof eve with the tweeter/mid's facing out and the passive radiator facing the side of the house, the mid bass and bass were astounding for a speaker this size. It enabled the speakers to sound louder and fuller at less gain from the amps giving it an overall cleaner sound.

The Polk's had excellent highs almost to the level of the DefTech and midrange competitive with the PSB. Their bass was slightly stronger than the PSB's but less defined than the DefTech and less "punchy" than the Klipsch.

The Klipsch had good mid-bass and were more efficient so they played louder with less wattage. However, they had a harsher more "cupped horn" sound with a drop in midrange which seemed to disconnect the high's from the bass. When turned up to a volume sufficient for theater use they distorted and couldn't handle the power the Polk's and DefTech's handled with ease.

Overall, The DefTech had the best sound per dollar when mounted in a position to take advantage of their passive radiator. The Polk Atrium 8's had the best sound per dollar mounted freestanding in open space. They sound similar enough to compliment each other in a mixed installation providing a truly synergistic combination at reference levels for music, movie soundtracks and dialogue.

If I had a small to medium sized patio and enjoyed primarily jazz and vocals at moderate volume, the PSB's are an excellent choice. If I had a low wattage receiver the Klipsch are good contenders.
GooberedUp and NewHTbuyer like this.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post

I'm an integrator and recently completed a large 100ft x 200 ft back yard project for a very wealthy client in Beverly Hills who initially wanted "state of the art, whatever it costs!". His house backed into hillside on three sides creating the acoustics of a natural amphitheater. He wanted the system to do double duty for music and be a multi-channel backyard theater with an 18 foot screen and projector to be set up for parties.
I originally suggested fourteen Terra AC17e speakers and four Terra AC-Subs with eleven Crown amps ($17,500) for the music system and theater surround speakers supplemented by two actively powered QSC K-12's and two QSC K-Sub's for the main theater Center + R/L ($3,500). He decided he'd rather be more budget conscious and try to find the best sound for the best price. I had him purchase and audition one pair each of Def Tech AW6500's ($199-$250), PSB CS1000 ($225-$275), Klipsch AW-650's ($250-$350), and Terra AC16e ($350-$400).
We ran three dedicated 20 amp circuits to an equipment rack in a sheltered closet off his pool area with 12-4 oxygen free copper speaker wire runs (approx. 9-10awg each) to 6 spots on his house, 8 spots on the surrounding hills and 4 spots in corner locations for subwoofers. We purchased 7 Audio Source AMP 300's (150w x 2 @ 8ohm) for the speakers and 4 Dayton Audio Sub Amps (225w x 1 @ 8ohm) for the subs. We used 3 Sonos Connects (House, Hill, Subs) to feed stereo music to input 1 on the AMP 300's, and a Oppo BDP93 Blu Ray Player through an Emotiva preamp to feed the theater surround sound to input 2 on the AMP 300's.
After about four weeks of A/B listening to each pair of speakers in various locations we decided on the DefTech AW6500's for the house, Polk Atrium 8's for the hills and Polk Atrium Subs for LFE.
The Terra's had the most defined high's, clean midrange and the least amount of bass. However, they were 30-50% more expensive than next speaker considered. The lack of bass made a matching Terra Sub essential putting the combined price way above the competition.
The DefTech speakers were comparable to the PSB in midrange and slightly cleaner in highs. However, when the DefTech's were mounted on the roof eve with the tweeter/mid's facing out and the passive radiator facing the side of the house, the mid bass and bass were astounding for a speaker this size. It enabled the speakers to sound louder and fuller at less gain from the amps giving it an overall cleaner sound.
The Polk's had excellent highs almost to the level of the DefTech and midrange competitive with the PSB. Their bass was slightly stronger than the PSB's but less defined than the DefTech and less "punchy" than the Klipsch.
The Klipsch had good mid-bass and were more efficient so they played louder with less wattage. However, they had a harsher more "cupped horn" sound with a drop in midrange which seemed to disconnect the high's from the bass. When turned up to a volume sufficient for theater use they distorted and couldn't handle the power the Polk's and DefTech's handled with ease.
Overall, The DefTech had the best sound per dollar when mounted in a position to take advantage of their passive radiator. The Polk Atrium 8's had the best sound per dollar mounted freestanding in open space. They sound similar enough to compliment each other in a mixed installation providing a truly synergistic combination at reference levels for music, movie soundtracks and dialogue.
If I had a small to medium sized patio and enjoyed primarily jazz and vocals at moderate volume, the PSB's are an excellent choice. If I had a low wattage receiver the Klipsch are good contenders.

It is fantastic review of outdoor speakers. I have already desided for DefTech AW6500 and I will buy it next month. I will install speakers under eaves and I am glad that these DefTech are best speakers for this variant of installation by your opinion and your tests.

Thank you very much for your review.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 AM

From the review:
I had him purchase and audition one pair each of Def Tech AW6500's ($199-$250), PSB CS1000 ($225-$275), Klipsch AW-650's ($250-$350), and Terra AC16e ($350-$400).
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was a little confused if Peterc613 was quoting prices for pairs, or for individual speakers.
It must have been for individual speakers.

Current links (06/09/2013) for pricing:

Each Def Tech AW6500's lists at $200, so $400 a pair
www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/Def_Tech_AW6500.html

PSB CS1000's list at $550 a pair
www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/PSB_CS1000.html

Klipsch AW-650's also list at $550 a pair
www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/Klipsch_AW-650.html

Terra AC16e
Harder to find price for Terra's. This link says "Price in USD: $1145 - $1145"
ww.pricesnreviews.com/43-sound-and-vision/52-sound-speakers/47791-terra-ac16e.html
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page