Neumann KH 120 - Right Choice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a pair of these the other day for a desktop system at my computer (which is now all I'll be able to have because of a recent move). I thought they blew all the other monitors in that particular store away (but quite a few of the monitors available to demo had problems like pushed in tweeters =/)

Since I pretty much grabbed these without doing a whole hell of a lot of shopping around, I'm wondering if for the same cost ($1300) I should be sure to check out anything else, or if I could do as good for cheaper while I still am in my return window.

They don't have to be active monitors as I already have a desktop amp I could use for passives, but they can't be much bigger due to space constraints. Also would be great (but perhaps impossible) if they had enough base to avoid getting a sub or at least put it off for a while. The bass on the Neumanns is pretty incredible for such a small package.

I primarily listen to rock in all of its various forms if that matters, but I don't listen at reference levels because of the whole apartment thing. Also, they would need to be able to be auditioned in the Houston area (or at least have a liberal return policy =)...)

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 PM

Liked: 53
Those are very nice monitors and a good price. I would stay with active speakers. There are a lot of advantages to actives. If you want something with more bass you'd have to go to a model with a bigger woofer. Maybe the Focal CM65 with 6.5" woofer. JBL4328P with 8" woofer. The Genelec 8030 is also a nice small monitor comparable to those, that would be more personal preference.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Those are very nice monitors and a good price. I would stay with active speakers. There are a lot of advantages to actives. If you want something with more bass you'd have to go to a model with a bigger woofer. Maybe the Focal CM65 with 6.5" woofer. JBL4328P with 8" woofer. The Genelec 8030 is also a nice small monitor comparable to those, that would be more personal preference.

I heard a Genelec with an 8" woofer (don't remember the model), but I didn't dig the sound nearly as much as the Neumanns. That JBL has what seems to be some incredible features. Do you have any experience with the room correction? Any good? The 8" looks to be way too big for my desk, but the 6" version has a -3db point 5hz lower than the Neumanns and MSRP is about $200 less than what I paid. I think I need to see if I can find a pair of those to audition.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 AM

Liked: 53
I think the Neumanns are a better speaker than the JBL but the room correction can make a difference. The room correction on the JVC only corrects for the frequencies below 160hz so it won't make a big difference for the mids and highs. If you have LF problems it will make a noticeable difference. I wouldn't chase the 5hz difference and wouldn't consider it in my decision for a quality speaker, if you want lower you'll have to add a sub or take up more space with larger speakers.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM

If you used the Neuman KH120 for near field listening, they are top notched that the money can buy. I own the KH120 and I cannot happier. I also own the Adam A7X and F7 for mid field listening and for the money I spent, I have no regrets. They both sound differently but you hardly can find a better SQ with either. My 2 cents.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Neumann Kh 120 Active Nearfield Studio Monitor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page