Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 184 Old 05-09-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 160
My wife and I recently bought a new (to us; it was built in 1925) house, and we haven't had time to get the room wired for the multichannel system. Also, we're getting a new mantel made (which will incorporate the center channel), and the equipment cabinet is going on a side-wall. (The TV is on a toppled Ikea Expedit, in front of the fireplace for now. It will go up above the center channel soon.)

So, long story short, I needed to set up a temporary system so that we would be spared the awful screeches coming from the television speakers. Since the study is still mostly stacks of Banker's Boxes, I decided to set up the SAM1's in the living room temporarily. We're using the TV as a "preamp/DAC," fed by an AppleTV3 and cable box. (I mostly use my BDP-83 for multichannel SACD and DVD-A; we rarely if ever watch movies on disks, so the disk player is still in its box.) Amplifier is a little Parasound Zamp v.3.

Listening position is about 150" back, somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way between front wall and back wall.. The room is a bit narrow, and there's a giant register for the HVAC on the right side, so the speakers are only 110" apart from center of one baffle to center of the other. Speakers are 20" from the nearest sidewall and about 30" from the front wall. (Speakers axes cross about 2' from my nose.) Despite the narrower-than-equilateral triangle placement, the soundstage presents quite well. I had to turn up the bass level knob to almost 1/2 way up because of the size of the room.

I'll put up a picture once I clean up the room a little bit. But now I'm thoroughly enjoying Adele "In the Artist's Den" on Palladia (though I kind of hate that we got cable; internet alone was actually $5 more per month than the bundle we ordered) through this little setup. I enjoyed them in my old nearfield and then bedroom setup, but deployed carefully the SAM1's are even more impressive speakers than I remembered. Even when you use just about the worst possible preamp and DAC. smile.gif

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #183 of 184 Old 05-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Funny, we just moved into a 50's house and I had a similar setup at first, TV into z amp. Used old Vandersteen surround speakers until I was able to set up my real system,
post #184 of 184 Old 05-10-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Still enjoying my SAM1s here as well. smile.gif I'm glad I bought a pair of these little gems before AJ was forced to discontinue them.

Last fall I upgraded my sub to a PSA Triax. The SAM1 works beautifully with this monster sub.

One of these days I'd like to hear some of AJ's newer designs as well. smile.gif

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page