Soundfield Audio Monitor 1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 184 Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've been in this hobby for about two years so I don't have a Swiss army knife of audiophile words at my disposal but I'd like to report about auditioning these monitors. AJ from Soundfield was kind enough to drive down from Tampa to Sarasota to set up the monitors in my listening room. My room is small - about 11x14 but none the less, I have really come to enjoy listening to music in here on a variety of different speakers. Okay, so my equipment is as follows - Outlaw RR2150 receiver used as a preamp / Behringer EP4000 amp / Monoprice cables. For speakers, I have a few - Magnepan MMG, B&W N805, Selah RC3R and PSB Imagine B.

AJ's monitors are very sustantial - they feel more like a solid miniature appliance than a normal monitor - probably due to the plate amp installed on the back. Fit and finish is very good. There are descriptions elsewhere about all the science behind these but what I know is they have a coaxial tweeter mid and an 8" active sub crossed at 200 hZ. AJ mentioned that the KEF coaxial works to shape the tweeter path.

The speakers were set up about 7' apart and listening was about 8' back. When I win the lottery, I plan to get a slightly bigger room! However, I love to listen to music in here.

So, the music... We listed to a variety of genres - vocals, classical, rap, Diana Krall, Radiohead, Kanye West, big band. The biggest impression these speakers made on me was the spatial presentation. I really enjoy a deep soundstage and these do it. I could not tell how far away the image was because it was deep - imagine being 6" away from a 20' deep swimming pool and looking at the bottom. The water is right in front of you but you are looking through a lot of aqua. I dunno if that makes sense but anyhow! Instrument placement in stereo recordings were pinpointable and very clear . Snare drums would crack from a singular point in space ahead of me.

The subwoofers filled my room very nicely - with the plate amps only at 25%, I was very happy. They are very capable.

So, on my demo, I came away with the impression of live music. The full range, room filling capability of these speakers is great. They brought dynamic imaging into my space that I did not know was possible. Purchasing a set was a very easy decision. Can't wait for my set to arrive! I'm leaning toward a white baffle with a light cabinet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 184 Old 06-24-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I think I'm next on the tour list after you. biggrin.gif

My room where the M1 will sit is 18' x 20' x 12' ceiling.

I will be using the Denon 3312. Music will be streamed from my server in WMA Lossless format.

The M1 will not be stuffed inside my HT room where the Salon2, Orion3, KEF 201/2, & Philharmonic 3 reside. biggrin.gif
post #3 of 184 Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 24
I have to be honest. I have no idea how they'll do with Bieber and Karaoke (maybe you can ask Randy B how they do on his).

cheers,

AJ

p.s. thanks for sending that rain up from Mexico. Had to swim home today.
post #4 of 184 Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

I have to be honest. I have no idea how they'll do with Bieber and Karaoke (maybe you can ask Randy B how they do on his).
cheers,
AJ

Glad to send the Cancun rain to Florida. biggrin.gif

Well, I won't be doing karaoke or any Bieber on the M1.

I'll play that demo CD that came with the Philharmonic speakers. Also Hotel California, Superman (Five For Fighting), Time After Time (Eva Cassidy), Mozart Piano Concerto #21, and some of my other favorites. biggrin.gif

I'll save the karaoke for the HET1. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 184 Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked: 12
I looked into the M1 but decided against it because my room will be larger than yours. Good to know that they performed well while playing a wide variety music genre's and didn't lack impact/bass. Were you able to test them in a larger sized room?
post #6 of 184 Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

cheers,
AJ

No Beiber here...sorry. I will post a full report after I take care of a broken speaker (not AJ's).
post #7 of 184 Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Ok, so you're not denying there is Karaoke in the Bessinger household.
Weekends only I hope.
Monkish54 likes this.
post #8 of 184 Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

They filled up my room very well. In fact, compared to the Maggies, B&WS and the PSBs, the Soundfield Monitors easily trumped all in shear dynamics. From my estimation, they would do well in a much larger room and were not near their limits. The coaxial driver is cool too. It images great.
post #9 of 184 Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom View Post

They filled up my room very well. In fact, compared to the Maggies, B&WS and the PSBs, the Soundfield Monitors easily trumped all in shear dynamics. From my estimation, they would do well in a much larger room and were not near their limits. The coaxial driver is cool too. It images great.

Wow, with all that shear energy, they might do well at cutting hair! I can see it now, Bieber tunes with hair to match!

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #10 of 184 Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm either second or third on the "tour" list; very much looking forward to hearing these badboys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #11 of 184 Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 PM

The $50 "good review" check usually arrives in 1-2 weeks.
Mike, the plate amp (new and old) only accounts for 3.75lbs of the weight. I actually glue a brick inside, because audiophiles generally equate weight with "good". It's to counteract the low price, which generally equates to "bad".

and I see we have another comedian in the thread
post #12 of 184 Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM

The M1's aren't as small as I imagined. @17" H. When I initially looked at the photos on the website... the Coax looked about 2.75" and the Subwoofer 6"

What's this tour I keep hearing about?
post #13 of 184 Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Haha, There was when the daughter was here but she grew out of that phase. I don't even sing in ths shower as the water would probably react negatively.
Monkish54 likes this.
post #14 of 184 Old 06-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Liked: 10
This is my first post on AVS, since I generally hangout over at Audiocircle under the same handle, and wanted to comment on the M1's. I have been listening to my pair for a month or so and am truly smitten. I still have a pair of speakers with Illuminators and RAALs, but AJs creations have worked very well for me. Shoot I have to run, but I can say the best aspect of the speakers for me have been their room friendliness, adjustable bass volume (I don't think I could go without this feature now), and natural sound with ample detail. These things are never harsh.
post #15 of 184 Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 465
AJ, I was wondering if you can comment on the following. Some (I can't name names) have said because the speakers were developed in Florida which has a significant Jewish population, that they are voiced to sound best with music like Hava Nagila and other well known songs that are often played at weddings.
Monkish54 likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #16 of 184 Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

AJ, I was wondering if you can comment on the following. Some (I can't name names) have said because the speakers were developed in Florida which has a significant Jewish population, that they are voiced to sound best with music like Hava Nagila and other well known songs that are often played at weddings.

I think you have conflated the facts that they were voiced using one of my favorite bands - Danger Kitty, who just happen to be popular at bar mitzvahs nation wide (not just Florida). Please get your facts straight.

p.s. Welcome aboard Paul (pslate)
post #17 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslate View Post

This is my first post on AVS, since I generally hangout over at Audiocircle under the same handle, and wanted to comment on the M1's. I have been listening to my pair for a month or so and am truly smitten. I still have a pair of speakers with Illuminators and RAALs, but AJs creations have worked very well for me. Shoot I have to run, but I can say the best aspect of the speakers for me have been their room friendliness, adjustable bass volume (I don't think I could go without this feature now), and natural sound with ample detail. These things are never harsh.

I just wanted to add, since I had to leave off abruptly, that these speakers have changed my view of audio. I am very much impressed with the superlative real world performance of these point source speakers, they certainly laid waste to speakers with some of the best drivers money can buy (in my opinion, in my room). I now view the whole room as a system, and understand why folks get into treatments so much. However, I did not have to use treatments to reap some of the benefits of this design. You're a true pro AJ. Also, the transaction was one of the smoothest I've yet experienced.
post #18 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Tour? I want in!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #19 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM

I'm interested in these... E-mail sent
post #20 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I already mentioned this, but my room is 18' x 20' x 12' ceiling. It is open on 3 sides.

M1 impressions:

Yo-Yo Ma: Ecstasy of Gold - sounds really great. Awesome cello music. Really large soundstage. Crystal clear.

Ennio Morricone: Trio - Crystal clear sound. Great horn music. Very large soundstage.

Richard Clayderman: Marriage D'Amour - Crystal clear, awesome Piano music. Large soundstage.

Richard Clayderman: Moonlight Sonata - crystal clear, awesome piano music, large.

Trevor Jones: Last of the Mohicans: Main Theme and The Kiss - awesome strings music, large soundstage, clear.

DJ Dado: X-Files Theme Remix - awesome dance remix music, awesome energy sound.

Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds: Crash Into Me - awesome acoustic live music, super clear sound, large. Amazing sound.

Philharmonic Audio Demo CD (17 tracks) - Amazing sounds. Crystal clear. Large soundstage.

Impression: great speakers. They sound much larger than they look. Crystal clear sound.

Do they sound better than Philharmonic 3, Orion3, KEF Reference 201/2, or Salon2 in terms of midrange/tweeter/soundstage/image? Not quite. Not fair comparison in terms of price. biggrin.gif

The M1s certainly hold their own for sure! That is 100% certainty.

Then again, the M1 sound a lot better than some $8K, $14K, and $25K speakers I've auditioned.

Now get me them HET1 speakers! biggrin.gif
post #21 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Have you tried them in your dedicated room?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #22 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Have you tried them in your dedicated room?

No. There's no room in my HT room. biggrin.gif

The family room is actually better acoustically since it is bigger, more open, and very EMPTY. biggrin.gif
post #23 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM

What, no Bieber or Karaoke??? confused.gifbiggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Tour? I want in!
You're on the list.

cheers,

AJ
post #24 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslate View Post

I just wanted to add, since I had to leave off abruptly, that these speakers have changed my view of audio. I am very much impressed with the superlative real world performance of these point source speakers, they certainly laid waste to speakers with some of the best drivers money can buy (in my opinion, in my room). I now view the whole room as a system, and understand why folks get into treatments so much. However, I did not have to use treatments to reap some of the benefits of this design. You're a true pro AJ. Also, the transaction was one of the smoothest I've yet experienced.

I had the same observation. I have a lot of great drivers and speakers but my room was never brimming with music like with the M1s. The coaxials have that amazing pinpoint imaging. The bottom end was rich and full.
post #25 of 184 Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Some more listening on M1:

John Williams: Superman Theme - great orchestral music.

Ennio Morricone: Few Dollars More, Good Bad Ugly - very nice remix sound. biggrin.gif

Deep Forest: Savannah Dance - very cool sound mix. Great stereo imaging left-right & right-left. biggrin.gif

Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into the Dark - nice acoustic / male vocal.

Eva Cassidy: Time After Time - great acoustic / female vocal.

Evanescence: Going Under (acoustic version) - great acoustic guitar / female vocal.

Cat Power: Sea of Love - great acoustic / female vocal.

Sixpence None the Richer: Don't Dream it's Over: great female vocals.

Greg Laswell: High and Low: great piano and male vocal.

Very nice imaging & soundstage. Very clear sound. Smooth highs.

My settings on the M1: Phase 0 degree, FREQ is 150Hz, Sub level #3 (Min is #1, Max is #8, 12 o'clock is #5), using dual Velodyne SC-600 IF subs.

Amp/ Source: Denon 3312/ Server WMA Lossless.
post #26 of 184 Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, my impression of the M1 remains the same - they remind me of the KEF Reference 201/2, except they have more bass because of the built-in subwoofer, which comes with a long detachable power cord.

They sound crystal clear, have a great soundstage, and image very well.

For anyone who is in the market for a small speaker package with great bass, midrange, & tweeter, but does not want to buy separate dedicated subs, the M1 is your ticket.
post #27 of 184 Old 07-03-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

What, no Bieber or Karaoke??? confused.gifbiggrin.gif
You're on the list.
cheers,
AJ

I have not tried any Bieber, am I missing something? NOT. Just wanted this Thread to show blue so I can follow it. May want to add sound to a second space or just recommend to others.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #28 of 184 Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I have not tried any Bieber, am I missing something? NOT. Just wanted this Thread to show blue so I can follow it. May want to add sound to a second space or just recommend to others.

My 9 & 10 YO daughters don't even listen to Bieber.

No way I'm listening to that! eek.gif

I don't even know what Bieber sounds like. But judging from his looks, I'm thinking Bieber sounds like a little girly boy. biggrin.gif
Monkish54 likes this.
post #29 of 184 Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I have not tried any Bieber, am I missing something?
Yes smile.gif.
I responded to a previous PM you sent, check your inbox. I'll add you to the tour if you wish.
Hopefully all the flooding has subsided. Looks like they got hammered pretty good up north too.

cheers,

AJ
post #30 of 184 Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

My 9 & 10 YO daughters don't even listen to Bieber.
No way I'm listening to that! eek.gif
I don't even know what Bieber sounds like. But judging from his looks, I'm thinking Bieber sounds like a little girly boy. biggrin.gif

Denial is not the first step to recovery.
oldno711 and Monkish54 like this.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page