7.1 Setup Help (Surround Speakers Angle) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys!

Setting up my 7.1. Unfortunately, the room is soundproofed using gypsum board and rockwool inside it. As you can see, I can not just mount my speakers unless it hits the metal studs.

I have no problem with fronts (Floorstanding) and Center.

Surround Back Left and Right are also angled down to the listening position.

My problem is the surrounds. They are some 4 feet above the listening position (ear level). Due to my limitation, I was able to mount them but I had to change the position of the speaker mount which now disabled me to angle them down. As of now, they are just facing horizontally.

How important will it be to angle them down? I won't be able to test the sounds yet because the room is under construction, but if they really need to be angled down it will take a lot of work. I will have to cut out the gypsum board, put plywood backing inside, and then put them back in and finish the wall again.

Help guys... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
You can use some sort of shim between the mount and the wall to change the angle.

You can cut a thin piece of wood in a wedge shape or just use several washers between the mount and wall.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. So it really is essential for me to angle it down?

No one has it without angling it down? What's the effect?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

Ok. So it really is essential for me to angle it down?

No one has it without angling it down? What's the effect?

Although I haven't taken any polls, I've always had the impression that most people do not angle their surrounds toward the viewers. With most speakers, the frequency response will change when the viewers/listeners are significantly off-axis, as they would be when high-mounted speakers are not angled down. Sometimes this is desirable because in conjunction with the reflections off nearby walls it seems to make the surround channel less localizable, although there is a trade-off in fidelity. While some people don't seem to be sensitive to or care about fidelity in the surround channels, I do and I'm guessing that you do, too. In my opinion, if the speakers will be 4 feet above ear level, then they should be angled down at least a little (unless you have an enormously wide room, anyway), or else in the case of most speakers, the midrange may sound excessively recessed or even hollow.

The exact effects depend on the characteristics of the specific speakers, of course, and usually also on how they're oriented. For example, the latest configuration that I've been experimenting with is with my bookshelf surround speakers oriented horizontally but not tilted, and I think that for my particular room (with the main seating positions up against the back wall and the surrounds mounted rather high), this may be my favorite configuration yet. What speakers are you using for your surrounds?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Liked: 11
As long as you follow the basic rules for surround speaker placement, you can't go wrong.
1. Place speakers at least 2 feet above listener. Many sites say to place speakers at standing ear height as a minumum (~6ft). Most agree that, once this point is acheived, you really can't get it wrong (even if you place them on the ceiling).
2. Place surround speakers at 90-110 degrees off center from the listener. A good rule of thumb is to place them directly to the left and right of the back row listeners. If you only have the one couch (like most of us), just place it slightly behind it.
Either way, the entire point is to NOT position them to direct sound at the listener so as not to compete against the fronts. They are surrounds after all.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

Although I haven't taken any polls, I've always had the impression that most people do not angle their surrounds toward the viewers. With most speakers, the frequency response will change when the viewers/listeners are significantly off-axis, as they would be when high-mounted speakers are not angled down. Sometimes this is desirable because in conjunction with the reflections off nearby walls it seems to make the surround channel less localizable, although there is a trade-off in fidelity. While some people don't seem to be sensitive to or care about fidelity in the surround channels, I do and I'm guessing that you do, too. In my opinion, if the speakers will be 4 feet above ear level, then they should be angled down at least a little (unless you have an enormously wide room, anyway), or else in the case of most speakers, the midrange may sound excessively recessed or even hollow.
The exact effects depend on the characteristics of the specific speakers, of course, and usually also on how they're oriented. For example, the latest configuration that I've been experimenting with is with my bookshelf surround speakers oriented horizontally but not tilted, and I think that for my particular room (with the main seating positions up against the back wall and the surrounds mounted rather high), this may be my favorite configuration yet. What speakers are you using for your surrounds?

Thank you Robert Cook. That was really informative. Funny thing is when I started getting in to the audiophile world (I finally replaced my HTIB) I thought the more "direct" the sound the better. But it indeed shifted the soundstage to the surround since it is the speakers closest to the listening position.

I'm using my Polk Audio Blackstone TL1600 Speakers for the surrounds. (4 of them) I upgraded my fronts to the Polk Audio TSi 300 and also the Center to CS10 which now allowed me to have a 7.1 configuration.

The room is near completion now. I was able to angle it slightly down but "slight" is the keyword.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.jones View Post

As long as you follow the basic rules for surround speaker placement, you can't go wrong.
1. Place speakers at least 2 feet above listener. Many sites say to place speakers at standing ear height as a minumum (~6ft). Most agree that, once this point is acheived, you really can't get it wrong (even if you place them on the ceiling).
2. Place surround speakers at 90-110 degrees off center from the listener. A good rule of thumb is to place them directly to the left and right of the back row listeners. If you only have the one couch (like most of us), just place it slightly behind it.
Either way, the entire point is to NOT position them to direct sound at the listener so as not to compete against the fronts. They are surrounds after all.

Yes, I see your point. Before I've pointed them towards the listener because I only used speaker stands, which cannot be positioned two feet above the MLP due to the height limitation. Now with my new entertainment room, I got more than what I bargained for. It is too high! Around 6.5 feet above the listening position, and only slightly angled down. The thing is, the room is near the finishing stages and cutting out the gypsum to put plywood backing is a hassle. Maybe after a few months...

Can't wait to test the system. Maybe next week, I will be able to do so.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page