Advice on 7.1 setup - AVS Forum
Speakers > Advice on 7.1 setup
knivesout's Avatar knivesout 11:40 AM 06-24-2012
I have an Onkyo TX-SR505, which I bought about 5 years ago when my crappy KLH receiver died. However, ever since that time, the Onkyo has been powering the crappy old KLH speakers. It's time to make things right...on a budget.

Here is my Monoprice shopping cart. I also want to get a pair of floorstanding speakers, a center, and a new sub...hopefully all under $500-600. Since Monoprice doesn't seem to sell floorstanding or center speakers, and only has a small selection of subs, I'd like to get your opinions on where to go from here. Also, do I really need 14 AWG wire? I'll be running about 20' to the surround speakers and 30ish' through the wall and ceiling to the rear speakers from the receiver. Our ceiling is trayed, so the speakers will go in the angled walls of the tray ceiling (45° angle).

commsysman's Avatar commsysman 11:59 AM 06-24-2012
I would forget about those $40 ceiling speakers; they will sound like crap and burn out when they are played loudly. Nothing is going to sound "right" with those in the system. Good ceiling speakers will run you $200-400 apiece; much more expensive than decent conventional speakers.

Yes, you should use #14 wire for that distance; definitely.

With that budget in mind, I would buy a pair of Boston Acoustics Classic CS260 speakers ($280) and a Polk PSW505 subwoofer ($240). The Boston CS225 center speaker costs around $100.

IMO that is the best sound you can get for $600. I suggest a pair of Boston CS23 speakers for $80 for the rear, and do 5.1 for a while. Good 5.1 is much better than crap 7.1. Even good 3.1 is better.

If you really want ceiling speakers you should save up $1000 or so and get some good ones from PSB or KEF eventually. Let that go until you can do it right.

The tiny subwoofer(???) on that list is a bad joke; a SUBWOOFER needs at least 250 watts of RMS power, and at least a 12-inch cone (in most cases). Anything less is a total waste of good money.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 12:13 PM 06-24-2012
At Newegg, good deals with coupon codes
Pioneer towers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117403

Pioneer center
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117404

Also, the Energy sub - and it will go down low
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

Speakers like the Boston, Pioneer and Infinity Primus will be a big step
above the KLH.

There is an Infinity Primus special, in store only at Frys
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 12:14 PM 06-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The tiny subwoofer on that list is a bad joke; a SUBWOOFER needs at least 250 watts of RMS power, and at least a 12-inch cone (in most cases). Anything less is a total waste of good money.

That Monoprice sub is a bad idea; an 8" driver powered by a 60 watt amp won't give you any bass unless you have it sitting in your lap.

Along with the suggestions above you might want to check out Fluance. They have some 5.0 and 7.0 packages which are within your budget. Throw in something like a Dayton SUB-1200 and you could make a workable system that way.
knivesout's Avatar knivesout 12:26 PM 06-24-2012
Most unexpected responses! I guess the Monoprice stuff is not a diamond-in-the-rough grab as I had heard.

There are 2 things I can't compromise on:

1) The surrounds and rears have to be in the ceiling, and...

2) Gotta stay within budget.
4DHD's Avatar 4DHD 12:34 PM 06-24-2012
Better off spending the same amount of money on just the LCRs and forget the surrounds, for the time being.
A better quality 3 channel system is better than a cheap 7 channel.
knivesout's Avatar knivesout 12:55 PM 06-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Better off spending the same amount of money on just the LCRs and forget the surrounds, for the time being.
A better quality 3 channel system is better than a cheap 7 channel.

I may not be quite the audiophile most on these forums are. I really want surrounds, but I might be able to compromise on the rears.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 01:26 PM 06-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post

I may not be quite the audiophile most on these forums are. I really want surrounds, but I might be able to compromise on the rears.

If you can work it in - the Pioneer bookshelf will work as surrounds.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 03:02 PM 06-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Better off spending the same amount of money on just the LCRs and forget the surrounds, for the time being. A better quality 3 channel system is better than a cheap 7 channel.

+1

It would be better to get 3 nice speakers and a sub now, then get the rest at another time.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 03:56 PM 06-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post

In that case, do 4.1 to start and add the center later. That is how I would do it.
knivesout's Avatar knivesout 08:12 PM 06-24-2012
Alright guys, thanks for the advice. I know you'll hate me for this, and I'm sorry; I'm quite stubborn. I think your ears are probably finer tuned than mine, I'm (mostly) easy to please. biggrin.gif

I'm probably going to go ahead and get my 7.1 on. I won't be in this house for more than another 2-3 years, and have been waiting for 5 years already to watch the LoTR trilogy with enveloping surround!

So, I guess at this point, it's really a matter of whether or not I go with the Monoprice 4103, or Polk RC60i in-ceiling speakers. Obviously the Polk speakers cost a bit more, but it's a doable jump in price if the quality difference is really there. That Energy sub zieglj01 mentioned looks like a decent deal.

Question on the Polk center channel speakers...some say they are voice matched to the TSi speakers, I can't find any that are voice matched to the RCi models. Do you think the TSi match would be close enough for someone like me to overlook any difference?
Up
Mobile  Desktop